The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 08:53 PM

Thanks again guys for all your input.

Anyone have any experience with a Martin 0X2MAE?

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 10-25-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomnimity View Post
Thanks again guys for all your input.

Anyone have any experience with a Martin 0X2MAE?

Jim

Just ordered one. I’ll post my thoughts when it arrives and i get the chance to test it out.
2015 Fender Eric Johnson Signature Strat
Old 10-26-2019, 03:12 AM

I have been using the 00 sized Gretsch G9521 guitar for a year now for river trips, festivals and other travel. It is quite an amazing guitar for the buck if you play fingerstyle blues/folky stuff. It might be discontinued now (2017) but you can find them in great condition for $250-$350 if you look around. I have a nice tiny travel solid wood alvarez mini style guitar I bought way back, it is great for a motorcycle, but I am not willing to give up the ergonomics and tone I like from a real sized parlor guitar.

I like the gretsch as it has perfect specs (for me) on nut, short scale, string spacing, slothead type stuff and it has an incredible rich, dry, loud and balanced tone and they neck is very straight, so great action. The series comes in 0, 00 or 000 sizes, but they other 2 did not have as good of sound to my ear. as the 00 size. The gretsches have pretty good factory set up compared to the Alvarez AP/MPA which can require some work sometimes if you get a bad one (mail order).

I also have an alvarez MPA 66shb and it plays super easy as is a tad smaller with the 24" scale and has a bit more resonance and sustain than the gretsch likely due to the full solid wood construction. But, I like the gretsch better for dry blues sound personally, and am hesitant to have a travel guitar that is all solid wood as they tend to get more abuse from sun, heat and cold and vibration going down rivers and surviving music fest jam nights and such. I think laminates are better for travel guitars that might get some abuse, they do not move as much and will last longer.

I had a seagull "0" sized solid spruce top/lam cherry B&S parlor as a potential smaller travel guitar, but the neck felt too skinny at the nut for me and both the gretsch and the alveraz had better tone.

Before the gretsch, I had a late 70's ovation celebrity model that survived 3 decades of outdoor abuse ( ton's of river trips, even totally submerged in a leaky case for several hours in 35 degree water in a pinned raft!). But a icy cold January 28 day grand canyon trip a few years back finally tweaked the neck and I retired it).

I had a few vintage japan made guitars (70/80's) I picked up cheap that were pretty tough with great tone, but not doing dreads much anymore.

If money was not object, then I would travel with my waterloo WL-S, but I worry about it getting stolen or abused to take it out too much.

Perfect guitar will always be a personal choice depending on your needs, style and pocket book, lots of choices for sure. If you fly a lot, then get one that fits in overhead bins.

Here is current reverb ads for the gretsch: https://reverb.com/p/gretsch-g9521-s...urst-2017/used

Last edited by mcmars; 10-26-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
I'm in love with my Furch little Jane guitar. Very easy to travel with. The bag lets me carry some extras too without getting bulky. Weirdly in tune when I put the neck back on, though needs a tuning tweak of course. Good pickup, completely useable.
Nick
I agree with this - I love mine. It’s great for travel as the bag fits under a seat, is relatively inconspicuous and the instrument itself is fantastic.

I have a Journey OF660 too which is also great but the bag is a full size carry on so if you’re carrying on luggage it’s a non-starter.

The Furch is expensive but it’s a great instrument with good specs/ woods I play mine all the time when I’m not traveling - but I’m also a smaller body guitar fan.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:17 AM

One of our sponsors at the AGF ( Fretted Buffalo) has the Furch Little Jane in an ad in the marketplace right now. Both mahogany and Rosewoods models and I just checked (after a bit of a search) to confirm the nut width at 1.75 inches.

I do not have one nor played one, but the system to put the neck on and to remove and store looks pretty slick, bringing it down to a back pack size that they say fits under an airline seat. That seems pretty cool to me.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
... Also picked away on an Eastman Parlor (not sure model, now) used at $800, with 1 13/16 nut, even better nut width for me. Sounded nice...
I bought a used Eastman E20P last month and noticed how wide the neck was compared to my other guitars (dread and OM). Great for finger style playing. Sounds nice, with good tone even when flat picked hard.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
One of our sponsors at the AGF ( Fretted Buffalo) has the Furch Little Jane in an ad in the marketplace right now. Both mahogany and Rosewoods models and I just checked (after a bit of a search) to confirm the nut width at 1.75 inches.

I do not have one nor played one, but the system to put the neck on and to remove and store looks pretty slick, bringing it down to a back pack size that they say fits under an airline seat. That seems pretty cool to me.
I agree those a pretty slick! The tone surprised me......in a good way.
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 10-26-2019, 10:03 AM

I did FOH last night for a guy who had an all-mahogany Taylor GS Mini. Really good. Loud and punchy. Better than average pickup, too, whatever it was.

He let me play it a little after show (very briefly as I'm allergic to the frets and probably the strings) and the only downside for me might be that the short scale makes the intonation a little iffy way up the neck, but it was still pretty okay.

Although I get why people tour with Taylors, in general I'm not a fan. But I loved this one.

Couch Standards
Old 10-26-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I did FOH last night for a guy who had an all-mahogany Taylor GS Mini. ....
So......... bartending? I've only ever heard FOH used in restaurants, not music.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
So......... bartending? I've only ever heard FOH used in restaurants, not music.
The initials mean the same thing, but it's PA mixing. Front of House (for the audience) as opposed to mixing monitors or a live broadcast or overseeing a multitrack capture. Didn't think it would be too jargon-y around here, sorry.

Oh the other hand, to me "hog" is either "motorcycle" or "sausage."

Couch Standards
Old 10-27-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Martin Dread Jr has a 1&3/4 nut. Reasonable option for a small guitar.
My Journey OF660( more of a true travel instrument) has a 1&3/4 nut.
Hope that helps.
I've also got an OF660. It's wider nut helps as I prefer 1 3/4". Really like it for travel.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Ambrose View Post
You might want to look into Outdoor Ukulele.
They will be releasing and outdoor travel guitar coming up soon.
https://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/guitars
If this guitar is anywhere close to the of quality and sound of their Uke, than this may be the ticket.
I personally have a Pre-Peavy CA Cargo that I absolutely adore.
The Outdoor Guitar is smaller than the Cargo and a hell of a lot less expensive.
Good Luck
I have an Outdoor Ukulele soprano and it is fantastic. I originally bought it for the all weather consruction but was really surprised at just how good it sounds and plays.

I am very curious about their Outdoor Guitar. At 30.75 inches it's well under the length for fitting in overhead compartments. I am curious even more so around how it will sound and play. It packs D'Addario XT coated bass strings with fluorocarbon treble strings. Thier carbonukes are really punchy so it should also carry that volume and tone.

All their products are pretty much weather proof and very strongly constructed.

I'm thinking that I will be shelling out for one

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion