The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2019, 08:30 AM

Default Will my Martin 00X1AE survive in South America?

Hello everyone! I have a nice Martin 00X1AE that I purchased from a Guitar a center in Houston, TX. I love this guitar! I may be moving to Bolivia (South America) in less than a year. I’ve lived there before with an LXM and the gol held up. My question is, with my 00X1AE and it’s spruce top, will it be ok being in similar weather like Houston? I do go to much dryer places at time close to the Amazons or colder places where it’s close to snow. Do y’all think the guitar will hold up? Any advice is welcome!! Thanks!
Old 10-22-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic ed View Post
Hello everyone! I have a nice Martin 00X1AE that I purchased from a Guitar a center in Houston, TX. I love this guitar! I may be moving to Bolivia (South America) in less than a year. I’ve lived there before with an LXM and the gol held up. My question is, with my 00X1AE and it’s spruce top, will it be ok being in similar weather like Houston? I do go to much dryer places at time close to the Amazons or colder places where it’s close to snow. Do y’all think the guitar will hold up? Any advice is welcome!! Thanks!
I'm sure it will be fine. People in South America and all over the world have been playing guitars for a long time without air conditioning, humidification and before the internet came along and told us our guitars would self destruct if we so much as thought about taking them outside of a perfectly controlled laboratory environment.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 AM

Thats true! I’ve heard horror stories of the top cracking from the cold. But the weather is normally nice and dry.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:00 AM

Just don't leave it in the sun or in a space that can exceed 100 degrees. Heat doesn't crack wood but will soften the glue that holds the guitar together.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 AM

I lived in Panama for three years. When I went, I checked out and left my D-18 at home. I was so glad I did. The humidity and heat in Panama would have done it in. However, Panama’s a lot different from Panama. You might be ok.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

My only concern would be what people have said about the spruce top parting company with the HPL sides. However, I wouldn't rely on replies that might only be apocryphal... your best bet is to email Martin and ask if the wood is likely to expand and contract at a different rate to the HPL. Your next best bet is, as with any wooden instrument, to ensure the guitar stays free from prolonged direct sunlight and extremes of humidity. Buy a case.

PS. I just re-read your post - you've done all this before with an X series Martin, without any problems, so why worry this time?
Old 10-23-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
My only concern would be what people have said about the spruce top parting company with the HPL sides. However, I wouldn't rely on replies that might only be apocryphal... your best bet is to email Martin and ask if the wood is likely to expand and contract at a different rate to the HPL. Your next best bet is, as with any wooden instrument, to ensure the guitar stays free from prolonged direct sunlight and extremes of humidity. Buy a case.

PS. I just re-read your post - you've done all this before with an X series Martin, without any problems, so why worry this time?

Thank you! The last guitar I took was a little Martin LXM. The whole body was hpl. My 00 has the spruce top with hpl body. I was just concerned about the separation as you mentioned. I’ll write Martin! Thank you! [emoji28]
Old 10-23-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post

Glue is glue. solid wood, HPL or plain old plywood it doesn't matter. Yellow glue will lose its grip if it becomes gelatinous. I wouldn't take anything bigger than a Backpacker if I were venturing into the bush.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion