The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 PM

Default Lowden Fan Fret Question and alternatives-Advice!

Hello,

I recently moved back into the US after several years abroad and am unfortunately acoustic-less. I've been dreaming of having a Lowden for a while, and after spending some time in a local high end shop this weekend and playing several santa cruz, goodall, martin, and lowdens, the best sounding and playing guitar I found in the shop was a fan fret lowden. It was just totally gorgeous in sound and body! It was my first time playing the fan fret and wow, what a positive experience. The problem is, of course, that guitar costs 6000 dollars. It's also an F model, which after looking around, i haven't seen an o series fan fret options. Does anyone know if it is possible to say, get an o-22 with fan fret?

Also, It's really hard as I don't currently have an acoustic. To make the mix a little more interesting too, a nearby music store has this absolutely gorgeous sounding eastman e20d priced at 1100 which is really under budget, and some of me thinks I should go with that, but knowing how much I love the lowden, I would like to eventually get one, wherein it makes sense to just save my money and wait for the lowden....but then again, I never had great experience with dreads or eastman in particular in the past, but this specific one was just really nice.

Before this weekend I was thinking I'd be willing to spend up to around 3500 bucks on an acoustic, but now that I really like the fan fret, does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for, or where i can get a nice fan fret for around my budget price? Ideally I'd like to get a fan fret lowden but if it means I have to wait 6 months, that's 6 months without an acoustic and so if anyone has an awesome alternative to recommend, I'm all ears!

Also, for reference, I play percussive fingerstyle guitar, a-la don ross, preston reed, kaki king and Michael hedges (minus the insane virtuosity and talent of these players, of course).
Old 09-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlassicKeith View Post
after looking around, i haven't seen an o series fan fret options. Does anyone know if it is possible to say, get an o-22 with fan fret?
yes. you can order any model except maybe the Wee with a fan fret.

Quote:
Also, It's really hard as I don't currently have an acoustic. To make the mix a little more interesting too, a nearby music store has this absolutely gorgeous sounding eastman e20d priced at 1100 which is really under budget, and some of me thinks I should go with that, but knowing how much I love the lowden, I would like to eventually get one, wherein it makes sense to just save my money and wait for the lowden....but then again, I never had great experience with dreads or eastman in particular in the past, but this specific one was just really nice. It does have some unusual features including the 1 7/8 nut.

Also FWIW, I think the fan fret F might give you the same sonic spread as an O because of the differences in scale length.

Before this weekend I was thinking I'd be willing to spend up to around 3500 bucks on an acoustic, but now that I really like the fan fret, does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for, or where i can get a nice fan fret for around my budget price? Ideally I'd like to get a fan fret lowden but if it means I have to wait 6 months, that's 6 months without an acoustic and so if anyone has an awesome alternative to recommend, I'm all ears!
I can't answer whether you should save for the Lowden but FYI, Eastman does have a fan fret that would be about the same size as the F Lowden http://www.eastmanguitars.com/ac822ce-ff/ I've never seen one in person and it wouldn't be a Lowden but every Eastman I've payed was a nice guitar ad a great deal for the money.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Sent you a PM.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM

I'm sure the fan fret is nice but you can certainly get Lowden sound and playability in a more standard configuration for much less cost. Buy a standard model now used, continue to save, and when ready you will probably sell the used one for what you have in it and can get the fan fret then. And, you'll have a Lowden while you save.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:11 PM

I still think the used Lowden market is the way to go.
I got my 1990's era 032 for under $2k. It's pretty great. Love it.
These are not the most desirable years, but they are still really excellent and hold up well over the years. Solidly built.
I have seen several others on craigslist for similar prices.
Probably won't find a fan fret though.
-Jim
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 PM

that's a good idea. Even though I really like the idea of waiting for a fan fret lowden, it may be pretty much impossible to find in my price range so maybe it's a better idea to get a used lowden for now, get comfortable with it and one day make the plunge on a new fan fret model.

Also the eastman fan fret looks really interesting! Wasn't aware of that option at all, thanks! Definitely need to find a place to play one...!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman, fan fret, lowden