The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
I got my first bike at 14 -- you could do that in Ohio if they were under five horsepower. That was 57 years ago and except for the 20 years in Tokyo, I've always had a bike or two. I've had rice rockets and Brit bikes, but at heart I'm Harley scooter trash.

Your nylon string guitar. Will it appreciate in value? Because that Aprilia you want certainly won't. You can buy used Italian bikes for a song.

In my case, if an early '50s Panhead came up cheap, I'd consider selling one or two of the guitars, pedal steels, mandolins, banjos, Cajun accordions I own towards its purchase. But I wouldn't sell an appreciating commodity to fund a bike that will be worth half its new price within five years. YMMV, impulse buying can be a dangerous path to trod... I learned after selling hundreds of guitars that three things -- well four -- should be held close: guitars, bikes, guns and tools.

Nice bike! What model is it and what customizations? More pics?
Old 12-21-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
Hi:

a custom built Blanchard Classicool Nylon String Cutaway guitar.

the Aprilla Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS.
Meh.

For a Brough Superior, in a heartbeat. But that Aprilia looks like any other generic racing bike. No thanks.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Watch this video then decide...

https://youtu.be/j0kJdrfzjAg

I'd get the bike.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:31 PM

I too would suggest safety. If you're not playing this guitar, sell it and commission another. Worst that can happen is a prick from unwound string.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
I have. An amazing J200 sold to buy my custom Triumph Scrambler. I love it! If you're a motorcycle person do it. Riding is just something some of us have to do. If you're a lookie-lou, or a novice rider, then keep the guitar. But, like chips they just make more. Another day, another friggin special guitar (or bike). Special is whatever the flavor of the month is according to your can't live without it eyes. Buy something else later. Or save up and have both. Never ends. My entire work life is deadlines and stress. I escape on the bike or work on it and play guitar and create art. There are worse things.
Hey DMZ, I'm planning on getting Triumph's new 2017 Street Scrambler this spring. It's almost 2017 now and I don't think any of them have hit the showrooms yet. Looks like a completely new beast that is disguised as an old beast even compared to the '16 and earlier modern interpretations.
I'm currently making payments on a used Breedlove custom shop Concert. Should have that paid off by my 55th birthday in Feb, then I can make payments on a bike. Could be a good year.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:53 PM

I sold my soul for a 2006 35th Anniversary Super Glide.
We Ride in Song

Old 12-21-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprikitik View Post
If he buys that motorcycle his life will be shortER
So he goes safe and buys a steel string guitar. When first tuning it up he goes to far, the high E breaks at a strange angle, slices his carotid artery, and his last dying thought is "shoulda' bought that Italian bike"
Old 12-21-2016, 05:11 PM

Hey, three out of three people die. Shut up and deal the cards......
Old 12-21-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Nice bike! What model is it and what customizations? More pics?
Here's a shot with the Street Glide. Silver bike is an '04 Wide Glide. Great bar hopper, has some engine work, lots of chrome, super comfortable ride. I keep it as a second bike, has 12K on the clocks...

Old 12-21-2016, 07:07 PM

You have given no information about your riding skill level. The Aprilla Tuono is a bike that can scare the poop out of seasoned riders. Read the road tests from Motorcyclist and Cycle World or Motorcycle.com. This bike can get you into serious, over your head trouble, in a heart beat.

I have the list of guitars at the bottom, plus a couple more guitars and there are 7 motorcycles in the garage. I like them both. I raced motorcycles in my college years and sold the race bike to satisfy my fathers wishes; who then helped me purchase a (now) very collectible 1965 GT 350 Mustang. It sits 20 feet from where I am typing this. I returned to motorcycle riding in 1984 and have ridden ever since. My wife took it up at age 40 and still rides at age 68.

Just like there is no qualification to purchase any guitar your can afford; motorcycle dealers will sell you anything you want whether you have the skill and/or brains to ride it. Once you are off the dealer property they are off the hook.

1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 12-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
Here's a shot with the Street Glide. Silver bike is an '04 Wide Glide. Great bar hopper, has some engine work, lots of chrome, super comfortable ride. I keep it as a second bike, has 12K on the clocks...

Sweet! Thank you.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Back to the original question, that Aprilia is gonna depreciate like a lead balloon. Is the guitar depreciated out yet? That's always a big factor for me as I get older, I don't appreciate depreciation.

But, God knows you'll enjoy the bike. Go for it. 👀✔️✔️✔️✔️
Old 12-22-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
But, I wonder has anyone else struggled with such a dilemma or resolved one like it?

Thanks for the input...
I'll answer like this: At present, there are three guitars in the for sale forum here that interest me, including one that I have been looking for a long time, and really feel should be mine.
The problem is that when I look though my current stable, there are no instruments that I feel I can part with. Each seems right in it's own way, much like how you seem to describe your nylon. The point is, long ago I determined it's better for me to stop trading something that I know fits and works for me, for something that I hope will fit and work for me.
So as I don't want to put cash out at this time, I'll be passing.

Now as to motorcycles, which is another passion, I'll say if you have not tried one, make an attempt to do so. The previous post about high performance bikes on the street is pretty spot on imo.
Not that it has ever stopped me from doing it because I've had many, but if it will be your only bike, the limitations can become a drag.
Also, my past experience with Aprilia service was a nightmare, but that could have been largely the dealer's fault.
Best of luck.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 12-22-2016, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I stayed away from Aprilia because there were no dealers close by. I bought a Ducati streetfighter and then over to BMW S1000RR for reliability. Love my Beemer but our season is much shorter than yours. I play with bike and guitars.
Not the fastest rider or most competent guitar player but riding and playing make me smile big time. If you don't play it, go for the bike. Take it slow until you get used to the power and then have a blast in them twisties. Oh, I forgot, Florida is flat.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:17 AM

Arlo got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOWGExuaP8

tlj

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Tags
acoustic guitar, blanchard, custom build guitar, cutaway, nylon crossover