The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2022, 08:00 AM

Default tonedexter experience- notch control and headphone functionality

Just picked up a tonedexter. It was used and I updated the firmware before trying it out. Experiencing two issues. When training, the headphone output while playing is a screechy digital sound- not feedback- and unlistenable. But after training, while auditioning the trained vs pickup vs mic, the sound is fine. The second issue is that during the normal functioning mode, the notch control does not seem to have any effect at all. I tried this both at home and also on the gig. At this point I am deciding whether to send it back. Maybe I need to spend more time with it, reload firmware, or am missing something. Any suggestions or similar experience?
Old 10-16-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Any suggestions or similar experience?
Contact James at Audio Sprockets to get his views. Hearing digital noise from the headphones is NOT normal, nor is the notch control having no effect.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-16-2022, 10:50 AM

Can't comment on the headphone issue, sounds dodgy unless you've just plugged your 'phones into the wrong jack. It's not something I've come across.

As far as the notch control goes, most recent firmware applies cut to the frequencies most likely to feed back, as decided by the TD during the training process. I can imagine that if the process didn't identify a particularly resonant aspect of the system then the notch might make little difference.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:15 PM

Thanks. I did go ahead and fill out a support form on the Audiosprockets site. We will see. Yes- was plugged into correct jack. I also would imagine that if there was any scenario in which the notch would not have an effect in normal operation, that would have been mentioned in the documentation. We will see.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:21 PM

Please report back when you hear, this might be useful knowledge for someone else.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I’d try a different set of headphones - I also never tried headphones while training, so I don’t know which signal it would be trying to send out. Since training is comparing and evaluating the mic signal vs the pickup signal, might it be trying to send a combo signal? Do you get the same signal just listening, not in training mode?

As far as the notch goes - did you find you needed it and it didn’t work, or just playing with knobs??

James is very good responding to emails - but he is a (very busy) one-man operation, so it might take a day or three, depending on how detailed his response might need to be -
Old 10-17-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I’d try a different set of headphones - I also never tried headphones while training, so I don’t know which signal it would be trying to send out. Since training is comparing and evaluating the mic signal vs the pickup signal, might it be trying to send a combo signal? Do you get the same signal just listening, not in training mode?
During training, once the TD has completed the level-matching process and begins training properly the headphones should reflect the current state of the wavemap which changes and adapts as it develops.

Hitting the right button toggles between the signal (as above) and the mic signal (and then the pickup signal if memory serves but I don't use that). Listening to the mic signal gives the opportunity to tweak the mic position for best results, then quickly begin training again.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
James is very good responding to emails - but he is a (very busy) one-man operation, so it might take a day or three, depending on how detailed his response might need to be -
I can report that James was very responsive to support request on the website; surprisingly so- I filled out the support request last night and he had responded by this morning. Especially nice as I am not even the original buyer.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I can report that James was very responsive to support request on the website; surprisingly so- I filled out the support request last night and he had responded by this morning. Especially nice as I am not even the original buyer.
Hi marciero…
James is a prized member of this forum!!

If/when you figure it out, please post the results.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-19-2022, 11:39 AM

Default Update

So James asked me some questions, made some suggestions, and even had me send photo of the power supply. This was all on Monday but I only just today got a chance to check things out. I went through the entire training, auditioning, storing, then normal playing- all using the headphones, I did not experience the headphone issue. I'm going to chalk it up to the headphones being quirky- these are a tortured old pair, used with an adapter.
A couple of things were different- I used the power supply it came with and I think (but not sure) that I may have used a one spot previously. In any case the one spot should fine according to James. The one spot worked fine for me on the gig. I also used a different guitar. The one I used last weekend was borrowed with K and K. This one has an active UST. During normal playing, listening with the headphones- James suggested trying this- I most definitely do hear the effect of the notch control. So I am calling it good and keeping the unit. I really need to spend some time experimenting with the unit with the guitars I intend to use it with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification