The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2022, 08:34 AM

Default EV30m Channels 5/6 and 7/8 Newb Questions

On the EV30M, I understand that the "intended" use of 5/6 is a left/right signal from a "line level" device such as a keyboard or maybe another mixer (?).

Does this mean that the 5/6 channels don't have separate gain stages like 1-4 do or something else?

Does this mean that if I ran a mixer like the Yamaha MG10XU into the EV30M, I should or could run it stereo into 5/6 using XLR?

Can I run a single source (like an acoustic guitar into a Behringer ADI21 preamp) into Ch 5 and have that come out of the EV30M as a mono signal (no different than Ch 1) or will it only come out of "right"?

Does the AD121 output "line level" if it's through the XLR out?

Can I run a second single source (like another acoustic guitar into a preamp) into Ch 6 at the same time and also have that come out of the EV30M as a mono signal?

Can I run a microphone straight into 5 and a second one straight into 6 or do I need something in between because the signal will be very low?

Can I run a condenser mic like a Worker Bee into Ch1-4 and it'll run off phantom power and there will be enough gain to go straight in to the EV30m?
Old 10-24-2022, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Can’t really answer the others but regarding the last question—I suppose it depends on the condenser mic you’re using. One of mine ‘works” with reduced power and performance, and another barely works on the built in 15v phantom power. I picked up this phantom power supply as it’s wireless, but any one will work with mics wanting 48v.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...m-power-supply
Old 10-24-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Although I am not familiar with the EV unit, I have a similar situation with my Bose T1 tone generator/mixer...

The T1 has 3 mic/line inputs and the remaining input is for channels 4/5. Ideally, I suppose it is for a stereo line level input; however, I have used it several times for adding another T!, as well as inputting a mono signal from a guitar or microphone.

The T1 does have a gain setting for those combined channels, and I set it normally when inputting a mono signal, and it works just fine, with perhaps a slightly less "hot" signal form the additional mixer, but with no variance in the tone of the output.

I've only done this when running everything through my Bose L1 Model II.

I'd say to check for an online manual for the mixer section of EV unit, or talk to the folks at EV about it... get the straight poop, so to speak, and bypass all the "well, I think..." replies that you will most certainly get on this thread!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification