The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-21-2022, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson TB-11 banjo conversion question

It's a long shot that I'll get a good answer here, but I'll give it a shot before asking at the banjo forum.

We (well, my parents at the moment) have my grandfather's Gibson TB-11 from the late 20s or early 30s.

I've long been interested in banjo, and played a bit here and there, and have been curious about having the TB-11 converted to 5-string.

My question is that the TB-11 is not a Mastertone model, and I know that a lot of people that have them converted have the rim cut down and a mastertone type ring added. Without altering the rim, just adding a 5-string neck, bridge and tailpiece, would this thing get a decent bluegrass tone?

I'd really like to play my grandfathers banjo, but don't really want to make any irreversible changes to it. I know it would "work" with out cutting down the rim, but would it be worth it?

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
It's a long shot that I'll get a good answer here, but I'll give it a shot before asking at the banjo forum.

We (well, my parents at the moment) have my grandfather's Gibson TB-11 from the late 20s or early 30s.

I've long been interested in banjo, and played a bit here and there, and have been curious about having the TB-11 converted to 5-string.

My question is that the TB-11 is not a Mastertone model, and I know that a lot of people that have them converted have the rim cut down and a mastertone type ring added. Without altering the rim, just adding a 5-string neck, bridge and tailpiece, would this thing get a decent bluegrass tone?

I'd really like to play my grandfathers banjo, but don't really want to make any irreversible changes to it. I know it would "work" with out cutting down the rim, but would it be worth it?
Here is the place to start asking the question:
https://www.banjohangout.org/archive/257787

If you also happen to do Facebook, send a friend request to Marc Horowitz. He's absolutely one of the highest authorities.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 03-22-2022, 04:48 PM

I am not a member of the "rim cutting police" , if you own a sub mastertone banjo and want to cut the rim, that is your business. Some of these, like TB-1s with shoe and plate flanges are undesirable as they are, judging by selling prices in the $500 range.

I will note, however, I was recently brought a 1933 PB-11, OPF, to work on for a family's patriarch. When finished, I tuned it to open G, as does the owner, and played a few tunes on it. Surprisingly, it sounded very much like my 25 style 3 Mastertone. I would not cut the rim or add a tone ring to that particular banjo,

I think your best course of action is to build your bolt on 5 string neck or adapt any 5 string neck (Saga?) and see how your banjo sounds before committing to expensive and non reversible actions like rim cutting.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
I think your best course of action is to build your bolt on 5 string neck or adapt any 5 string neck (Saga?) and see how your banjo sounds before committing to expensive and non reversible actions like rim cutting.
That's a good plan, and kind of what I was leaning towards.

I should add that my father would be pretty upset with me if I made any irreversible changes to it, though it has been sitting basically unused at their house for about 20 years. I take it out and strum a couple of chords on it periodically when I go to visit.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-23-2022, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

a man you might want to discuss your options with. known for high end, reasonable work on old and new model Gibsons(and others). well known in the resonator world of older Gibson banjos. pricing very reasonable and work detail top shelf.

good luck

https://www.facebook.com/CeresBanjoWorks/

Jim Britton, resides in Tn (i think).

here is his YT channel, what you see are models he has reworked and makes a video playing them that is listed on the BHO classified.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuw...2OfD1qA/videos

Last edited by darylcrisp; 03-23-2022 at 10:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments