The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-04-2024, 09:03 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Thanks. My version is working in my browser. What did you see different?
If you want to imbed the video you have to omit certain info from the link.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-05-2024, 07:01 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by conecaster View Post
Somewhere in my photos I have pics of Mason's Oscar Teller classical guitar. He was referred to me in advance of a trip he made to Nashville back in 03. He shipped his guitar prior to arrival.

He came to see me after I had completely reworked the fret board and installed new frets. The fret board was not in a good way.

He asked me to lower the action a bit. I casually asked him how long he had the guitar, he responded that it was his only guitar. I said, this is the only guitar you've ever used. He said Yes, and continued that he recorded all 27 version of Classical Gas on that guitar.

That was a moment,

I spent a bit of time with Mason. He had some fun and revealing stories.

I will try to locate the pics of the Classical Gas guitar and post it.

Its sitting on a computer I can not access from here.
I am still searching for those pics of the Cassical Gas guitar Mason brought me 20 years ago.

I think I am getting close.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Thanks. My version is working in my browser. What did you see different?
Your original link showed only a black box to most viewers. TBman's link displays a properly embedded video to most viewers. It's a bit confusing because your computer "remembers" what your link was and doesn't show the black box that many others see. Computers are weird.

This gets covered often on AGF because of the step of stripping the extra code in the video link box that's necessary before a video will embed properly. I wish that that step was displayed when the video link box was selected by a user.

The "https://youtu.be" part needs to be removed from a copy/pasted Youtube embed code for the video to embed in your post.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-05-2024 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
After you get your siding on, do make a trip to Sweetwater and try out a Cordoba Cadete. It has a 1-7/8" flat board, a bit shorter scale length, 3/4 body size, and sounds very nice considering it's low price.

I have several much more expensive steel strings and it's still one of my most often played guitars. (I have a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion that is basically unplayed.)

You won't have to feel guilty for "trying one out" because you'll probably take it home with you.

Classical Gas is a great tune, but a simple nylon strung guitar can be used for so much more. I'm currently working on Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street in drop D if you need an example of what a crazed nylon lover might do with one...
Thanks for that insight, Rudy! I’ve got some slowly progressing issues with Dupuytren's contracture, so I’m pondering a shorter scale classical. I have a wonderful little Cordoba Esteso Spruce model (the pre China ones), that I really like and am starting to play it more and more when I reach for an acoustic guitar. But the stiffness in my fingers is problematic with the normal 650mm scale length. 24.75 feels noticeably more tolerable, especially with acoustic guitars. Knowing you’re very pleased with the Cadette, I’m thinking my leanings toward a C5 Dolce are not off base. I had a C5 that I really enjoyed, but gave it to my Daughter.I hope the OP finds a good Nylon String to grab on to. Classical Gas just screams for nylon!
Old 03-06-2024, 01:29 AM

I thought that might be the posted video. Meh. Tommy Emmanuel is a fine guitarist and a very good entertainer, but I don’t like what he does there at all. It’s like turning a good novel into a comic book or one those superhero films with all the CGI. That’s my opinion, and it’s got nothing to do with snobbery. I’ve read that Williams wrote it as an exercise for nylon, and I think it works very well just the way it is. Why change it if it’s not for the better? Of course, if you only have a steel string or you prefer to play everything on one, more power to you. But you’ll be missing out on some really nice guitar music and an opportunity to develop your skills as a guitarist.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
I thought that might be the posted video. Meh. Tommy Emmanuel is a fine guitarist and a very good entertainer, but I don’t like what he does there at all. It’s like turning a good novel into a comic book or one those superhero films with all the CGI. That’s my opinion, and it’s got nothing to do with snobbery. I’ve read that Williams wrote it as an exercise for nylon, and I think it works very well just the way it is. Why change it if it’s not for the better? Of course, if you only have a steel string or you prefer to play everything on one, more power to you. But you’ll be missing out on some really nice guitar music and an opportunity to develop your skills as a guitarist.
I was responding more to the original post asking can they learn it on a steel string. It was of course intended slightly tongue in cheek given that most of us are a long way from Tommy's technical skills.

That said I just happened to see Tommy live for the first time a couple of days prior to this post and really enjoyed his performance of this (it was also the first time I had heard his version of this). I've always struggled with the classical guitar communities emphasis on accurate reproduction over creative reinterpretation. I understand why you would want to work on an etude exactly as written but for performing a piece ...

At any rate, I also love my classical and it definitely generally sounds better with my playing on songs that were originally done on classical.

Last edited by Aspiring; 03-06-2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I hear Paco laughing up in heaven!!
Of course, Tommy is one of the finest living acoustic guitarists on the planet…according to many of the great guitarists of our generation…

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 03-07-2024, 02:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Once we become accustomed to the way a tune sounds, (the original) it's hard to accept variations. I like the original version also though. I've never cared for steel string covers of Steve Howe's Mood For A Day (even when Howe did it )

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-08-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Once we become accustomed to the way a tune sounds, (the original) it's hard to accept variations.
Speak for yourself. I don’t like it for other reasons. I play all kinds of music on nylon (my only guitar, hence my reference to others having only a steel string in my preceding post), and most of what I play are my arrangements of the compositions of others, so variations aren’t a problem for me. I love hearing a new take on an old idea, provided that it’s somehow better or more interesting than the original.

As long as I’m posting, I’ll say that I should have described Tommy Emmanuel as “a very good performer” (rather than “entertainer”). He’s both, but “performer” sounds a little less critical and more accurately describes his outstanding talent as a guitarist. I like his playing but don’t care for his “hot-rod” version of Classical Gas.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Agree 100%. Way too frenetic...it becomes a "show off" piece instead of a great tune.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 03-12-2024, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Agree 100%. Way too frenetic...it becomes a "show off" piece instead of a great tune.
I agree.
Working on this piece also and will probably have to "reinterpret" the part barring the at 5th and stretching to 8th with pinky. I'll just keep working at it.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrogue1 View Post
I agree.
Working on this piece also and will probably have to "reinterpret" the part barring the at 5th and stretching to 8th with pinky. I'll just keep working at it.
That’s the hardest part for me, too, but your post makes me think it’s the fretting-hand stretch that you find difficult. Is that right? The difficulty for me in that part lies in the striking hand: having enough energy to precisely articulate the finger strokes. Maybe it’s easier for those who’ve had some kind of formal classical guitar eduction (I haven’t), or maybe it’s a question of foresight and pacing, because I get kind of excited around that part and wipe out. It’s like taking an offramp at highway speed!

Note to self: Get ready to downshift, dipstick!
Old 03-14-2024, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Well looking at it yesterday, I have to really slow down to practice. The pinky gets to to 8th fret stretch ok, but the slide down to the 7th is a little awkward, with the plucking finger strokes. Holding the bar at same time, working on relaxing some tension. All little things to work out. Plus I have relatively smaller hands and playing on a steel string. Also, I can never think of wrapping my thumb around back neck. However, something I'll try is to use a guitar with a less wide neck, trying it on a 1.75 now. Just fun things to work on.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conecaster View Post
I am still searching for those pics of the Cassical Gas guitar Mason brought me 20 years ago.

I think I am getting close.
Looking forward to it. No pressure though.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrogue1 View Post
I agree.
Odd as I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with stretching fingers on another piece The Entertainer on guitar that was transposed from piano by a German here, but at the moment I can't recall his name. Very nice piece btw!

Or is it more of a reach on a classical guitar?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical