The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 11:26 AM

Franklin guitars as others have stated are incredible... the builder was one of the first to painstakingly do the prewar Martin thing. And given that it's likely a 30+ year old guitar honest wear is 'mojo' in my book on this type of instrument.

Didn't see any mention of the woods? I'm not one to see wood that looks like that and decisively say it's Braz or not. AFA determining instrument value that will factor quite a bit.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

What is your intention with your D-41? Are you looking to sell or get another guitar, Calculate the fair selling price of your 41 and pit that against any Franklin guitars on the market. I only Trade for things I really really want I find I'm almost better off Selling my guitar and buying the RIGHT guitar for me. Just because on Paper the Franklin is a "Better" guitar that does not mean it's a better Guitar for you and if you go to flip out of it you are going to have to discuss the imperfections and beat case with every single person you interact with only to be rewarded with a low all offer.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
Franklin guitars as others have stated are incredible... the builder was one of the first to painstakingly do the prewar Martin thing. And given that it's likely a 30+ year old guitar honest wear is 'mojo' in my book on this type of instrument.

Didn't see any mention of the woods? I'm not one to see wood that looks like that and decisively say it's Braz or not. AFA determining instrument value that will factor quite a bit.
My assumption is it’s Indian Rosewood. If it’s Brazilian then the trade is more than fair.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
My assumption is it’s Indian Rosewood. If it’s Brazilian then the trade is more than fair.
Yup. If verifying these deals is important to the OP, I'd recommend they reach out to Nick directly. I'm sure Nick will get back, but not sure how quickly he responds to e-mails.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
Yup. If verifying these deals is important to the OP, I'd recommend they reach out to Nick directly. I'm sure Nick will get back, but not sure how quickly he responds to e-mails.
Yes, in terms of pinning down the rosewood species, but I wouldn't necessarily look to a builder in terms of determining the $value of the instrument on the used market.

While I understand and have no doubt that the Franklin is a a great instrument, the OP seems to have a clearly stated concern about resale, and that being the case (no pun) I believe that the Martin represents a better (or at least easier) resale option than the Franklin. I've seen older Franklins sit in the classifieds here for a very long time. No reflection on the instrument itself, but an indication of market interests.

I agree with the suggestion to sell the Martin (if that's what you want to do) and purchase the instrument you want.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again for the replies. I am pretty sure that the Franklin would be awesome and I do hope to play it. I do have the option if it doesn't floor me to walk away.
However I really do look at a guitar with ability to sell in the future. I suppose If I was a stellar player, and my abilities could bring out the nuance of each guitar then I would probably feel different.
I just think that a D-41 is probably one of the more marketable guitars around. Also having money back into guitar hobby account would be nice as well. I am probably leaning towards a straight sale, and looking for towards a future must have guitar.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I know NOTHING about Franklin guitars, but I do know a thing or two about a D41. This is strictly my opinion and worthless in the grand scheme of things! NO way I would trade a new D41 plus cash for a guitar that looks to be well-used and especially with a shot case, no matter the builder or the guitar model. My D41 is a 2018 model and is just now hitting its stride and full potential!!
Yup - my feelings too. Personally I'd regret it all day long but to each his own. Good luck with whatever your decision may be.

*EDIT - I see you've got two D41s and was too quick to post without reading the full thread. That changes things.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I have an early Franklin OM cutaway. It’s a very fine guitar indeed. As previously mentioned John Renbourne play Franklin (and Bown) guitars. Stefan Grossman loves them. Nuff said?

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion