The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2024, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
You can get a nice used Martin D-18S for $2500
There’s one in the classifieds
Old 02-08-2024, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Or D-15 https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=681444
Old 02-08-2024, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Let's just clarify your direction, as some people think that Gibson style Jumbos are "dreads" - The Martin style original 12 fret dreads are IMHO the best design they made.

Fretboard/nut width were 1 & 7/8" as was used on their D18/28/35 - S models from the '60s to the '90s

I had a Larrivee SD50 for some time which followed that deign but with a very thin neck profile to compensate. Good guitars until they changed them to 1 & 3/4" nuts.

I play Collings 12fret dreads (and 000 and 00) with 1 & 13/16" nuts to 2 & 3/8" string spacing (dreads)

The slotted headstocks are also ideal for performers who can adjust tuning without over extending wrists as with slab heads.

I cannot speak of the Gibson that you mention.

You might find this helpful. https://youtu.be/-KFuW6JrcOQ

Old 02-08-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Can only tell you what I went with which was a used Fairbanks Roy Smeck. Snagged it for $3800. At least when compared to modern Gibson takes on that model, Bozeman gets some things right and some things wrong. Dale got everything right.
Oh man, I’ve been dreaming of that very guitar (Fairbanks/Roy Smeck) for years.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I have played the Larrivee SD60 and the SD50 and found them both to be tight and over built, I have owned a Collings DS1a and a DS 2h and not kept either of them very long. I now own a Martin Ditson 111 which I am happy with, but these are quite rare and outside your budget. I think the best suggestion is to look out for a well used Martin D18s.
I would spend the extra (over budget) for a Ditson. My 222 is fantastic and one that I will never sell.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

As you can see from my signature, I'm a huge fan of Larrivee 12-fret dreads. I've tried the Gruhn custom shop 28 style Martins, and although I didn't play them back-to-back with my Larrivee SD-40 R moonwood (that's the closest apples to apples comparison of my collection), I felt they were very similar with me preferring the warmth of the moonwood top to the adi top on the Gruhn guitars. All of these have the more modern 1-3/4 inch nut width with more generous 2-1/4 spacing at the bridge (the Gruhn custom shop specs mirror the narrower spacing of the D18/D28)- they are perfect for the fingerstyle I prefer. And although some purists would scoff at the flat headstock on a 12-fret instrument, I prefer it for ease of restringing and the look - much of what I do is more typically played on a classical guitar, and I made the decision to avoid the look of a classical guitar as much as possible. The Larrivee SD 40 series exactly suit my needs.
Martin Backpacker
Old 02-08-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I have played the Larrivee SD60 and the SD50 and found them both to be tight and over built, I have owned a Collings DS1a and a DS 2h and not kept either of them very long. I now own a Martin Ditson 111 which I am happy with, but these are quite rare and outside your budget. I think the best suggestion is to look out for a well used Martin D18s.
hey malcolm...can you tell me more about what you mean by 'tight'? i know overbuilt isn't a good thing & assume tight isn't either, but just curious.

i also tend to play medium strings a full step low...so if 'tight' has anything to do with string tension (just a guess), it may not be as much of an issue for me.

i have looked around at some of the d18s's, but i have a guild m20 & am looking for a different vibe than the all hog look.

I've been looking into the pono's and some other brands that might be in my budget, but not finding any in the 12-fret burst style.

i've sort of given up on finding one that fits all of the 'looks' criteria i'm looking for (sunburst, bound neck, open headstock, matte finish). i don't LOVE the idea of buying without playing something (obviously), but there sure aren't many (any?) of these around my area that i can get my hands on to do some real comparisons. i feel like my only option is wait until i find one at a good price that i like, buy it & hope i like it, but then turn around & sell it to move on to the next.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
As you can see from my signature, I'm a huge fan of Larrivee 12-fret dreads. I've tried the Gruhn custom shop 28 style Martins, and although I didn't play them back-to-back with my Larrivee SD-40 R moonwood (that's the closest apples to apples comparison of my collection), I felt they were very similar with me preferring the warmth of the moonwood top to the adi top on the Gruhn guitars. All of these have the more modern 1-3/4 inch nut width with more generous 2-1/4 spacing at the bridge (the Gruhn custom shop specs mirror the narrower spacing of the D18/D28)- they are perfect for the fingerstyle I prefer. And although some purists would scoff at the flat headstock on a 12-fret instrument, I prefer it for ease of restringing and the look - much of what I do is more typically played on a classical guitar, and I made the decision to avoid the look of a classical guitar as much as possible. The Larrivee SD 40 series exactly suit my needs.
the one i'm looking at is a 2008 that has that wide 1 7/8 inch neck. you're saying those are the better guitars than the newer models?
Old 02-08-2024, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I've owned the SD50 and 60 for a few years, along with DSs from Collings and Bourgeois, and have played several other brands.

The SD50 records better than the 60 and is relatively crisp and responsive for such a big, powerful instrument. The SD60 is a charming instrument to cozy up with and play for hours. The mellow highs and overall darker sound is never fatiguing. The mids and bass are complex and give it a lovely, deep voice. "Lap piano" is the perfect description. I spent more time with the 60, even though the 50 was the one I'd reach for when it came to performance or recording.

All that said, it's just a difference in back woods. They aren't all that different and you won't go wrong with either.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btalley View Post
hey malcolm...can you tell me more about what you mean by 'tight'? i know overbuilt isn't a good thing & assume tight isn't either, but just curious.

i also tend to play medium strings a full step low...so if 'tight' has anything to do with string tension (just a guess), it may not be as much of an issue for me.

i have looked around at some of the d18s's, but i have a guild m20 & am looking for a different vibe than the all hog look.

I've been looking into the pono's and some other brands that might be in my budget, but not finding any in the 12-fret burst style.

i've sort of given up on finding one that fits all of the 'looks' criteria i'm looking for (sunburst, bound neck, open headstock, matte finish). i don't LOVE the idea of buying without playing something (obviously), but there sure aren't many (any?) of these around my area that i can get my hands on to do some real comparisons. i feel like my only option is wait until i find one at a good price that i like, buy it & hope i like it, but then turn around & sell it to move on to the next.

They both just felt like there should be more in there that wasn't coming out, if that makes any sense. They are good value if you find one you like, but nothing like the warm growl of the Ditson.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:00 PM

I vote for a 40 series Larrivee SD. I love my SD 40R.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

I forgot to comment on the neck. Larrivee necks are fairly slim so, even though the 50 and 60 are wider than my Collings, they felt a little quicker. They feel almost like classical necks so if you know how to take advantage of wide string spacing, they are great. I honestly wish all my guitars were wider. It does change the way you strum a little as the distance between strings creates a more arpeggiated feel if you don't speed up your attack.

Compared to a Martin, Larrivess are more articulate. Martin is deep bass, dry mids, and twangy trebles and I just don't like the way they record.

As far as age goes, Larrivees are great when they get a few years on them. They are nice to begin with but the extra definition in the bass and the response to a light touch (which comes when the woods relax into their new form) works well with the Larrivee vibe. I would have no hesitation on buying an older one.

I eventually moved on to boutique and luthier builds but if I were shopping in that price range, I'd get another SD50 or 60 no doubt. I miss them both. Now is a good time to buy as the used market hasn't been this good since 2019.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:08 AM

I have played the SD-60 and own a 000-60, both of which had a very similar neck profile.
The only difference was the nut width, the SD had 1 7/8 while the 000 had 1 13/16.

The profile, at least on the older larger width nut models, is a very shallow D/C shape which helps with the larger nut width IMO. While I like a nice V neck, in my experience, once you get into the winder nut widths you gotta really wrestle with em...unless you have massive hands.

It's also worth mentioning, I think the newer model 50-60 series now have scalloped bracing and narrower nuts, while the older ones with the wider nuts have non scalloped. I have not played the newer ones, but I suspect it's a drastic change in tone. (Not sure which year they switched).

Hope this helps, and hope you find what you're looking for!~
Good luck!
Old 02-09-2024, 05:00 AM

Gibson Keb’ Mo’ 12-Fret J-45 might fit the bill!

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Acousti...ntage-Sunburst
Old 02-09-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF View Post
Gibson Keb’ Mo’ 12-Fret J-45 might fit the bill!

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Acousti...ntage-Sunburst
it's for sure toward the top of my list. not having any luck finding it in budget though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion