The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2023, 06:30 PM

Default 1991 Gibson Bozeman Nick Lucas mystery

A 1991 Bozeman reissue Nick Lucas came to me after a relative passed away. Original purchaser was a family friend, I've known of the instrument since it was purchased, I'm also in possession of OHSC and Bill of Sale, provenance is relatively certain. Maple back and sides. By all accounts, this series was one hundred instruments, all signed by Ren Ferguson. This one lacks the special numbered Nick Lucas label, and Ren Ferguson's signature. I found a label image of a sibling instrument online that has an adjacent serial number, with Nick Lucas label and Ferguson signature. What have I got here? Is this 1 of 100? Why no Nick Lucas label or Ferguson signature?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2023, 07:31 PM

You could certainly call Gibson Acoustic in Bozeman and ask them.

You could also call the dealer from whom you have the Bill Of Sale and ask them.

Music Villa in Bozeman might also be a great place to call to see if they could help you sort it out.

You could even try and call Ren Ferguson himself, now that he is building on his own, and see if he could help you figure it out.

Maybe your guitar was a prototype that got sold? That does happen sometimes.

Best of luck...your phone is your friend here.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 07-30-2023, 07:40 PM

Got any pictures? Gibson was just kicking into high gear at that time frame. It could be the Montana Special. If it were a Prototype it would of been branded on the back of the headstock. Also a Not for resale on the inside. Check under the top for signatures as well.
Gibson SJ200
Old 07-30-2023, 07:54 PM

Not all labels stay intact in these. Gibson montana will have record of the guitar as well. And what special series in was a part of.
Gibson SJ200
Old 07-31-2023, 09:18 AM

I responded in the Gibson forums (where photos are posted) but unless there is something different about this guitar such as it having a period correct short scale rather than a 25.5" scale there is nothing I can eyeball about it to make it stand out as any different than others the '91 run. Gibson actually produced more than 100 guitars in that first run with the remainder being rosewood body instruments which were most likely sold as part of the run the following year. I believe though there were a scary small number of rosewood body guitars built in '92 by John Walker which made up the remainder of the 10 or so guitars sold that year. But why no signature appears on this particular guitar is going to be anybody's guess. Bozeman would be the only one who could possibly fill in the blanks.
Old 08-03-2023, 04:10 AM

Sounds like you've got a nice guitar. I've got a 1992 Bozeman made Rosewood SJ-200 signed by Ren. It's got a certificate stating it was a limited run of 100 made. There's very little info out there about them, just a brief mention in a book called 'Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars'. This book mentions a Nick Lucas model being made in 1993, but no more info than that. I'd like to learn more about that particular era if anyone has any info.

Last edited by Spenceroo; 08-03-2023 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:36 PM

Default 91 Nick Lucas

I have a 91 Rosewood Nick. Made in July 91. It’s my favorite finger picking guitar. Any info if it was before or after the run of 100 REN sid.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina.p View Post
I have a 91 Rosewood Nick. Made in July 91. It’s my favorite finger picking guitar. Any info if it was before or after the run of 100 REN sid.
Yours could of been a limited Run , prior to the Nick Lucas label. Check under the top with a mirror, it might give a clue. Maybe.
Gibson SJ200
Old 03-01-2024, 12:38 PM

Default Bracing ?

Thanks for the response. What would be different about the top plate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion