The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I don't know there are any rules about what is ok and not ok to talk about. This sounds like Jr. High to me. People are people. People should try to be nice and pleasant, and not insulting jerks. I don't care what the background or circumstances are. Be nice. It makes the world better for everyone involved.
Yep. Be nice.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:48 PM

He forgot he is an entertainer on break also. I played 6 nights a week from 82 till 86. I am not a nice person by a stretch but I would never say that. We sometimes take ourselves way too seriously.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psfam View Post
I would say that the professionals I can think of have multiple guitars. There is no shame in either approach, having one or several.

Jeff Beck
Steve Howe

Those two immediately come to mind. They owned quite a few guitars.

IMO the most talented and 'together' musicians and artists are the most humble, generous, encouraging and happy people around. They have nothing to prove. They are doing their thing well and enjoying the ride.

That guy apparently is a real frustrated and unhappy guy. Would suck to be him, no matter his talent.

Yamaha FG75 red label Taiwan
Yamaha FG150 Nippon Gakki
Yamaha FG360 Nippon Gakki
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 PM

Oh well, the world is full of self important ignorant and arrogant folks. This Mike Campbell fella from Tom Petty must not be very good then. https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...-mike-campbell
Old 02-23-2017, 01:02 AM

That's a bummer of a story. If I get the chance, I always say something like, "Sounds great!" to the performers. I hope that cheers them. I'll check out their gear for sure, but usually don't talk about it. To brighten the conversation, I went to a show a while back where the guys on stage had a fraction of the gear I own, but way more songs and tone. The Lead was from Zanzibar, came all the way from Zanzibar to make music for me! I told him I loved the show, and he hugged me!
Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 AM

Jerk_ he's pissed cuz nobody appreciates his genius but his mother

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

A lot of responses. I haven't filtered through them all.

But I'll say, the guy was probably having a bad day. That, or maybe he is a frustrated jerk.

Most shows I go to the audience is at least 50% populated by other amateur musicians. That's who cares about music. The general public would be happier with a DJ playing songs from their youth than listening/watching somebody play live. (Or they'd rather watch a rerun football game on TV). So, it's just good marketing to show a little kindness to the people who have paid to see you play; no matter what you might think of them personally.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM

that "professional" musician is probably ore successful than this dude and countless others...
http://mycoolguitars.com/wp-content/...c57dd1acfa.jpg
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:04 AM

As a performer, I sometimes get annoyed with audience members who want to chat about gear but I am always polite. There's definitely no excuse for being ignorant to someone asking a question. There have only been a few times where I have been rude and that's when the audience got too personal. By that I mean coming onstage and trying to touch gear or sing through the mic (while we were on break), or being so drunk that they fell into my gear and damaged certain items.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:30 AM

My personal rule is, if I like the show, I don't speak to the performer. I don't want my enjoyment of the show tainted by their personality issues! Too many times it is soured. David Grisman was an exception, but it's not like I could have not lived my life without that encounter.

Same with movie stars, I'll love the movie and then later you find out that they are complete A-Holes! Nope, I am perfectly happy to bury my head in the sand and enjoy their talent!

Just my opinion!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

In fairness to examining both sides of the story,

I have the idea that to be insulted is largely a function of how the receiving party interprets and applies the words being said by the other.

A simple test>
Either the rude person knows what they're talking about and the mean words are a clue to something not-so-nice about your behavior.
or
The rude person is just mean and their worthless words can be ignored.

In nearly all things, it takes two to tango.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderball View Post
that "professional" musician is probably ore successful than this dude and countless others...
http://mycoolguitars.com/wp-content/...c57dd1acfa.jpg
Yikes, he should pawn a guitar and buy a shirt or 2
Old 02-23-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead View Post
My personal rule is, if I like the show, I don't speak to the performer. I don't want my enjoyment of the show tainted by their personality issues! Too many times it is soured. ...
Just my opinion!
I've opened for quite a few big names over the decades. Most of them were very nice, to at least very polite.

Unfortunately, in the '80s up in Northern California I opened for a guy who had been my favorite singer/songwriter from the late '60s through most of the '70s.

He might have been having a bad night, but he was a rude jerk that night and it soured me on his music ever since.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-23-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I've opened for quite a few big names over the decades. Most of them were very nice, to at least very polite.

Unfortunately, in the '80s up in Northern California I opened for a guy who had been my favorite singer/songwriter from the late '60s through most of the '70s.

He might have been having a bad night, but he was a rude jerk that night and it soured me on his music ever since.
My guess is Neil Young! I've heard from those with first hand experience that he can have diva moments.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-23-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM

If you play out for a while you will hear insults from drunks and such. It comes with the territory. No one likes everything they hear even if it's good. I've had hundreds of folks compliment me, quite a few guys ask permission to cover my songs, job offers as soon as I stepped off stage, and people tell me what I "need to do to be better." You just can't please them all. How many guitars I have, or their cost, has nothing to do with how many you feel you should have. Frank Zappa said it best, "Shut up and play your guitar!"
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion