The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2015, 04:35 AM

The D'Addario web site

http://www.stringtensionpro.com/

allows you to play with tuning and provides string tension for each tuning.

Dropping a half-step in some cases knocks roughly 20 pounds of string tension off neck/bridge.

Generally speaking, a standard tuned guitar has on average 25-35 pounds of tension per string. Dropping a half-step can decrease that tension by 3 to 5 pounds per string.

I can't help but think that's going to be easier on guitar over years and years and years.....
Old 02-28-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest316 View Post
I would think that it would have little or no effect on the guitar or strings, as far as being "easier" on them. But it would make the guitar easier to play and would change the tone. My two cents.
That's not even worth 2 cents....it does help the top over the years.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
His guitars show no wear at all.
Are you kidding?....they look like they've been beat by a woman scorned.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:22 AM

I've said this before in multiple threads, but guitars tuned down just sound and feel better. Taking a bit of tension off lets the guitar "breathe" a bit more. Honestly, record yourself in standard pitch A440, and then tune down a half or even whole step (I prefer a whole step), and you'll instantly hear a more complex and lush tone.

It also seems like common sense to me that over the life of an instrument, the lessened tension can only ever have a positive effect and lengthen the life of the guitar.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
FYI, it is not "the" worldwide standard, but certainly "a" common standard.

....Nearly all modern symphony orchestras in Germany and Austria and many in other countries in continental Europe (such as Russia, Sweden and Spain) tune to A = 443 Hz.[12][14]....
I remember reading some place decades ago, that Karajan pushed up to A=450 with the Berlin Phil. Can't remember the source nor if there was any hard reference to back it up.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Tuning down is often (not always) done for the benefit of the singer
Used to play Ernie Ball Slinky strings on my electrics from 1960s until 2005 when I was recruited into a pop band with a "growling" singer (bourbon, cigarettes and a limited upper vocal range). They played in Eb to accommodate his voice so I tuned down too. Easy enough for the keyboard guy, BTW, because both of his planks (higher-end Korg and Alesis I think) changed keys up/down at the push of a button - so none of us had to transpose into awkward chording positions.

Lower string tension changes dynamics on the guitar too
Buying and selling used guitars a lot, I was cycling through a handful of various pedigree/color Strats at the time. And I noticed the necks and tremolos were relaxed in Eb. Lower tension tuning actually lowered the action on 2-3 of my flimsier necks (not all Strats are equal).

Heavier strings increase tension
I didn't like the way tuning down made my guitars handle/sound with my go-to Slinky strings (10-46) so I went up a gauge to Power Slinkys (11-48), which fixed everything. I came to like 11s so much (in Eb and E), that I now use custom light 11-54s on all my acoustics too (YMMM, another topic for another thread).

Guesswork on my part
Guitar repair guys might weigh in here to endorse my theory or dismiss it as buffalo dust. As far as wear and tear on the guitar itself goes, I recon tuning down for years/decades would lessen the tension (at least slightly) that can eventually cause dreaded "belly bulge" on some acoustic guitar tops down past the bridge. Conversely, consistently tuning higher (above a 440 A) could possibly accelerate that sad process.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-29-2024 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:31 AM

FWIW, I've been playing my '65 Guild D-40 since buying it new in '67. It has remained at standard pitch for most of that time--though I do tune down to open G for slack key. I doubt that keeping it a step or two lower would have changed its structure or obviated the need for the neck reset it got a few years ago. And I have even older guitars--a couple of 1920s Martins--that have spent a century or so at standard pitch. The 1920 0-18 did get a reset and fresh bar frets recently, but not, I think, because it was at standard pitch for 100 years.

String tension certainly matters, but competent builders design their instruments around the stresses of a given range of string tensions. Sometimes there's even a label inside the body specifying what to use. (My Goodall has one.) Tuning down to accommodate one's vocal range is not uncommon, and it's not impossible that changing the guitar's bottom range might change its overall voice--but as a means of preserving the instrument's structural integrity, I wouldn't bother.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Very interesting post and responses. I've tried tuning down 1/2 step several times over the years. Maybe it's totally psychological, but the guitars tuned down never felt right to me, both in terms of physical sensation and sound. Now even at my age I play at least 2-3 hours a day, so I'm really accustomed to how a guitar feels in my hand. As a result, each and every time I tried tuning down, I ended up going back to standard tuning. Again, maybe it's my totally bias mindset, but it's interesting to read how others actually prefer the sound and feel of a guitar tuned down.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion