The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digman52 View Post
He said buy the Guild, they are famous for their 12 strings.
He totally got that right!

Back in the 60s, I had a Candelas 12-string. My mother must have picked it up at a yard sale because I don't remember where it came from (or where it went -- hey, 60s remember?) I tuned it all Es and Bs and played it sort of like a big dulcimer in this crazy experimental group I was in. I'm mainly a keyboardist though.....

Anyway, fast forward 45 or 50 years, I got back in guitars and then 12-strings. Love my jumbo Guild 12-strings -- I just picked up a third one....

F412

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-20-2024, 11:30 PM

Don't want to offend any of the 12-string enthusiasts in the group. (I must say that I haven't read this thread so someone else may have already done so.)

No, my journey didn't start on a 12-string. It started on an electric bass. The band I joined didn't have a bassist, and I didn't know how to play one, but that's what they needed so they were nice enough to give me the job. Got my parents to buy me a cheap electric bass (a Conrad, as I recall) and a used Gibson guitar amp. Some lessons over the summer from a bemused stand-up bass player in the cocktail lounge trio where I worked. When we all went back to college we were a band.

Worked with those guys for 3 years before we decided to enlarge the sound by adding a 12-string. I was directed to learn to play it, so I got one (a Guild F-212 from Hoboken, NJ) and began. But then, the band broke up. I played it for years as a 6-string and ruined it by careless storage.

Got serious about guitar when I became a Dad and my daughter gave me a subscription to Guitar Player for Fathers Day. Bless her little heart. Been at it for 35 years or so since then. At this point in my musical life, I wouldn't have a bass if my daughter gave me one. Don't miss it.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

No12 strings for me for a long time. I saw friends with Eko Rangers in the '70s I guess, but never really interested.

from '73 to '83 it was all about working my way up the Martin dread, Mandolin and Dobro pole for bluegrass.

I remember buying and selling Yamaha 12s in the early '70s after I'd moved into this house - I'd play then until the necks bend then sell on and buy another.
At some point when working as a duo with a bass player, I fell in love with a Lakewood 12string - 000 size, and bought a Lakewood six to match it. Then as the duo became a trio (Panhandle Conspiracy) I "upgraded" to Martin J12-40 and J-40 -big mistake, didn't suit me at all.

I think I went through two or three Martin D12-35s then to a Del 'arte Leadbelly 12 string, which didn't really work. (2002 -2014) and replaced it in 2011 with the Martin D12-35 custom I have now.

I bought a rebuilt Harmony D12-20 in 2017 which I restrung recently.

Once past my bluegrass periods, I preferred to do full gig with a 6, a 12, and sometimes with a National.

I have a small repertoire for 12 strings which I'd use every 3-4 songs in a full gig.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FanMan View Post
[However, I soon got a Harmony 12 that was impossible to play anything but cowboy chords on.

Ooooo..not so. I primarily pick melodies on my 12 Strum some to..but mostly melodies. Was that old Harmony a little too high on the action?
Yeah--This is a multi-undeaded thread, originally originated in August, 2019. But it's still good, though.

I had a 1968 Stella Harmony H912 12-string that was quite easy to play with relatively high action; unfortunately, I lost it due to catastrophic structural failure several years ago (AKA--it got accidentally smashed to pieces).

I must report here of course that that that Stella Harmony H912 was one of my primary instruments for several years: A sunburst model. Manufactured 1964-1968; other years of reputed production are possible--in other words, pre-1964--but have not been verified. Came in various style permutations, with or without the classic white pick guard, for example. Top is birch, body is birch. Scale is 25 and one-quarter inch. The H913 followed in 1969-1971, though it only came in the natural body style.

I'm amazed that a number of those old H912 twelvers now sell for around a thousand dollars; probably much mystique derives form the fact that Kurt Cobain owned one (purchased for 30 dollars from a pawn shop in late 1989), though he reportedly strung it with five nylon strings; sources suggest that he played it on Nirvana's second studio album Nevermind in 1991 (Polly, Something in the Way), and that he wrote a number of songs on it.

Here's a 1966 Stella Harmony H912--not my guitar, obviously--embedded here to show exactly what my twelver used to look like prior to its untimely demise, as it were.

Last edited by Inyo; 03-21-2024 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:36 PM

Default Beauty 12

=====================================
4/5/24 - Just checked back into this thread. Looked at your 12. That is the prettiest 12 I've ever seen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion