The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I did not. The annoying thing is that it's done it over a number of years slowly. It also started about 3-5 years after owning the guitar. I humidfy and keep my guitars well maintained. The guitar is my main gigging instrument so it's showing it's age now so it doesn't bother me, but it does annoy me that a $3000+ guitar had finish problems.
If you are the original owner, I bet Taylor would re-bind and re-finish under warranty. And they would do it a lot faster than Martin does their stuff. I would take some pics of what's going on, call Taylor customer service, send them pics, and discuss with them. Taylor's customer service is excellent.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 03-06-2024, 09:35 PM

I was potentially in the market for a D-28 custom authentic aged but all of these issues have made me decide to pass on Martin. This feels like it should be in class action lawsuit territory. And I am pretty shocked anyone is throwing down thousands for a guitar with these known issues.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalord View Post
I was potentially in the market for a D-28 custom authentic aged but all of these issues have made me decide to pass on Martin. This feels like it should be in class action lawsuit territory. And I am pretty shocked anyone is throwing down thousands for a guitar with these known issues.
I'm sure attorneys will be clamoring for the chance to build a case on repair jobs valued at $50 per claimant.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:53 AM

I love Martin guitars and have owned and loved quite a few.

Having been affected by the recent binding issues and whisker cracks from a few years ago, a Martin (new or pre-owned) would not be under consideration should I ever find myself in the market for another acoustic.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:51 AM

I understand the frustration that some players experience and fortunately there are lots of options for buyers.

I own three Martins that I purchased new (1976, 2006, 2015) and three Larrivees I purchased new (2004, 2005 and 2021). Maybe I’m just lucky but I had to get the binding repaired once on the 1976 Martin which was covered under warranty with no hassles. No problems with any of the other 5 guitars. All 6 are keepers and I would buy either brand without reservation if I found the right guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion