The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 06:14 PM

Default Old guitars not played, how long to open up again?

After a well-played guitar sits for many months, how long would you expect to play it before it's "free-ed up", back to good tone?

I'm buying a 50+ year-old guitar who's seller says to expect some playing time before it sounds it's best again. How long would you expect this to take, a few hours or less?

I'm wondering if this is his way of setting me up for a poor sounding guitar that may need more than some regular playing to open up it's tone.

What do you think?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:24 PM

Based on the thread topic I was hoping you'd know the answer. Based on my oldest guitar my experience is that it took less then a few days before I was thinking it sounded better, but it could have been my imagination or the new strings I put on. Anyway it sounds great again.

Ludwig
Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 PM

That's assuming that guitars actually do "open up". I say if it sounds good to you now, buy it. If it doesn't. don't hope for a magical event.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:04 PM

I'm more asking about the affects on storing old guitar's (stiffening etc.). If a guitar is affected, I'm guessing an older guitar will not take much regular play to get it's pre-storage tone back, maybe a few hours? Or just minutes?

Last edited by Blasted Coyote; 01-17-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 PM

34.57945 hours. More of less.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Can't say how long it would take to "re-open" but if it does not sound good when you get it don't expect to like it once it has been played for a while. That's my opinion based on my experience.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM

That's what I'm thinking. If it doesn't sound good after a few hours, it's probably time to box it back up.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM

Its quite a risk that. You should love the sound of a guitar now, and fall even more for it if it gets better with age. Dont buy a mediocre guitar in hopes of it sounding good later one.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
34.57945 hours. More of less.

Last edited by Blasted Coyote; 01-17-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:05 PM

FWIW, I've a Wechter 000 with a tuner that went South. Parked it for a year waiting for the right deal on a new set of tuners. Three days on now and it's starting to sound the way remembered.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 PM

I've noticed that my guitars sound different each day simply based on my own ears hearing things differently for some reason.

However to answer your question from my experience, it should only take one playing session. What I've noticed, unscientifically, is that when a is guitar sitting unplayed it's temperature is "cold", and when you play it for 20 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, etc, it literally warms up. I find that everything resonates better when it's warm, strings are easier to bend, etc. Plus my own hands and muscles are working better after an hour or so. Makes sense in a lot of ways. That's my experience.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I've noticed that my guitars sound different each day simply based on my own ears hearing things differently for some reason.

However to answer your question from my experience, it should only take one playing session. What I've noticed, unscientifically, is that when a is guitar sitting unplayed it's temperature is "cold", and when you play it for 20 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, etc, it literally warms up. I find that everything resonates better when it's warm, strings are easier to bend, etc. Plus my own hands and muscles are working better after an hour or so. Makes sense in a lot of ways. That's my experience.

That does make sense. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:19 PM

I have several guitars that did not get played for years or even decades. A couple of hours hard playing was enough to warm and wake them up again.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 AM
Guest 1511

Too many variables to answer your question. The real answer is they'll take however long they need to depending on your environment, playing, luck and plain ole roll of the dice depending on the particular guitars in question.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion