The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 PM

Default After the first crack I don't care anymore

Have a Yamaha CPX8 that I bought used a number of years back; enjoy playing it especially because it has both a built-in mic in addition to the under saddle pickup. Couple of years ago it developed a face crack extending from the bottom to the sound hole. Had it professionally repaired; he used cleats and sealed it pretty good.

Lo and behold, the crack opened up again and now there are two more cracks.

Doesn't make sense to spend more money fixing this guitar. I'll just let it be.

It never gets dry in SE Michigan (77% humidity today) and we have a leaky house that also uses hot water baseboard heat. This is the only guitar I have had crack on me (except for a piece of crap classical guitar I bought in Portugal as a young'in not knowing any better, but that's a whole 'nother story).
Old 01-16-2018, 09:49 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
...It never gets dry in SE Michigan (77% humidity today) and we have a leaky house that also uses hot water baseboard heat...
You misunderstand the problem. It is very dry in SE Michigan, indoors where your guitars live. If the outdoor relative humidity is 70% and it's below 25 degrees, your indoor relative humidity is going to be 20% or less. That is very dry, and it is why your guitar cracked originally, and why it cracked again.

However, as long as you have no loose braces, you'll probably fine doing nothing else to it.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
You misunderstand the problem. It is very dry in SE Michigan, indoors where your guitars live. If the outdoor relative humidity is 70% and it's below 25 degrees, your indoor relative humidity is going to be 20% or less. That is very dry, and it is why your guitar cracked originally, and why it cracked again.

However, as long as you have no loose braces, you'll probably fine doing nothing else to it.
Yup; this is right. Get yourself a guitar humidifier and see if you can keep it from getting worse.
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG
Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 PM

Consider yourself lucky! You don't have to worry about temperature or humidity anymore.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:

Well now you have scared me! I have a couple of (inexpensive) hygrometers and have never seen them go that low. Now shows 35%. Do I need something more accurate?
Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
... Do I need something more accurate?
Well, something’s not right.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 AM

If it gets really bad, you can start calling it "Trigger II".
Old 01-17-2018, 01:38 AM

Quote:

Correct.
That's why it's called relative humidity (RH), not just humidity.

Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air can.
So RH is how much H20 is in the air at a given temp compared to the maximum air COULD hold at that particular temp.

At any time the actual number of H20 molecules per cubic foot inside and outside will be similar ... say one billion per cubic foot (made up number).

BUT when the temp inside is much lower than the temp outside the relative humidity inside will be much lower ... again even though there are the same one billion H20 molecules per cubic foot both inside and outside.

This is not intuitive, and mind-blowing so it requires just accepting the science.

Last edited by Tico; 01-17-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well now you have scared me! I have a couple of (inexpensive) hygrometers and have never seen them go that low. Now shows 35%. Do I need something more accurate?
35% is still low. 45-55% is a good range.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
BUT when the temp inside is much lower than the temp outside the relative humidity inside will be much lower ...
you have a typo here, it should read:

BUT when the temp inside is much higher than the temp outside the relative humidity inside will be much lower ...
Old 01-17-2018, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

I also understand that even though warmer air can hold more moisture, when your heating system heats the air in your house, it’s robbing humidity from the air in the process.

So, am I better off to keep the house warm to improve humidity, or make the furnace run less to keep the heat from reducing the humidity?

I have a steam generating whole house humidifier that boils water to humidity, but even at that it’s struggling to keep up in the current weather in the mid-Atlantic.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 AM

theres a song about this

The first crack is the deepest, baby, I know
The first crack is the deepest
But when it comes to being lucky, he's cursed
When it comes to lovin' me, he's worse
Old 01-17-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I also understand that even though warmer air can hold more moisture, when your heating system heats the air in your house, it’s robbing humidity from the air in the process.

So, am I better off to keep the house warm to improve humidity, or make the furnace run less to keep the heat from reducing the humidity?

I have a steam generating whole house humidifier that boils water to humidity, but even at that it’s struggling to keep up in the current weather in the mid-Atlantic.
You are better off simply investing in a room or in case humidifier. They both work very well.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:19 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_humidity
Old 01-17-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post

I think of it as the furnace cooking the humidity out of the air, so cooler in the house is better. But get a humidifier.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion