The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

As a new sufferer of pain in the thumbs and hands, I'd love to know what people's thoughts are about effects of different size necks (nut width and/or overall neck profile) has on making things better or worse. It seems intuitive to me that skinnier necks mean having to close the hand further hence more "work", but what are people's thoughts? Is wider neck and lighter strings with low action the best thing to pursue?

I have couple guitars with skinnier necks that I'd be bummed not to use, but would give them up in a heartbeat if it will help.

Thoughts?

Last edited by sublro; 11-23-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
As a new sufferer of pain in the thumbs and hands, I'd love to know what people's thoughts are about effects of different size necks (nut width and/or overall neck profile) has on making things better or worse. It seems intuitive to me that skinnier necks mean having to close the hand further hence more "work", but what are people's thoughts? Is wider neck and lighter strings with low action the best thing to pursue?

I have couple guitars with skinnier necks that I'd be bummed not to use, but would give them up in a heartbeat if it will help.

Thoughts?
I think it probably depends on the individual player's hands and the particular neck shape. Arthritis aside, some necks just fit one person's hands really well while they're uncomfortable for someone else. I like kind of chunky necks. My hand seems to work to best advantage when the neck pretty much fills my hand. But I know other people who much prefer a slimmer neck. Add arthritis to the picture and I think it would depend on exactly what joints are affected. For some, the mechanics of gripping a thicker neck might help whereas for others it wouldn't. If you can, play some different neck shapes and see what hurts least. It would be great if you could borrow a guitar with a shape you think might work and give it an extended trial. This might be a case where Guitar Center's 30-day return policy comes in handy. Find a shape that you think will work. Even if the guitar isn't that appealing overall, maybe you could make a temporary purchase for the purpose of giving the neck shape a trial. Who knows, maybe you'll end up loving the guitar if the shape works well for you.

One thing I think is important: don't ignore pain and try to work through it. Exercising your hands can be helpful but just ignoring pain when performing a task really isn't a good idea. The other thing that isn't such a good idea is taking advice from someone like me instead of someone who is a professional familiar with your individual circumstances. See a doc, and if your primary care person isn't helpful, get a referral to a rheumatologist. A physical therapist or occupational therapist specializing in hand issues might actually be the most help, as they will really know hand mechanics in depth.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyDog6 View Post
Naproxen Sodium (generic name of Aleve) twice a day, even on days it doesn't hurt.
Supresses inflamation. The less it swells, the less it hurts.

I've also started falling asleep holding a rolled up pair of socks in my left hand, which puts my fingers in a neutral position at night, as I was finding myself waking up with a hard fist and painful fingers.

Worked for me in under a week -- from limited ability to fret and stretch to pain-free.

YMMV
When I found myself clenching my hands at night ( due to stress at work it turned out), I found an old lightweight motorcycling glove and duct taped one of those pink rubber balls into the palm. This kept me from clenching my hand in my sleep but was soft enough that I would not bruise or hurt the joints.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:08 AM

The pain I experience is in my left index finger, 2nd joint. Everything else seems okay and give me no trouble. Reading some of the other posts I should feel thankful thats all I have...at least now. I play...a lot. It seems that barre chords are the culprit. I am self diagnosing, rest seems to help, so does over the counter pain meds. Will try epsom salt soakings next. Has worked for muscle and joint pain on people for a long time. Have nothing to lose.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:32 AM

At this stage of the game I accept that I cannot play medium strings on my GS Mini anymore due to progressive arthritis. I don't like it, but I accept it. The light strings sound just fine, by the way. I know, I know, the GS Mini is designed for Mediums - blah blah.

I am grateful this Thanksgiving that I can still play the guitar at all. I remain pretty active only because I am taking care of my self and my hands. Without going into detail, I have found proper exercises, know when to lay off for a day, supplements - medications, not to over do, and I'm doing ok. For those who do not have a disabling condition, you have my blessings. For the rest of us, just do what you can, and keep playing. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE !!!

Last edited by Doug MacPherson; 11-23-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:36 AM

I have a little carpel tunnel, and tendinitis. I've been using this for about 4 years now and it has helped tremendously! It would be worth a try?!?

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 AM

I've had intermittent pain in the joint of my left thumb when playing, especially barre chords, for a few years now. I assume it to be arthritic. The following things seem to help:

Glucosamine/Chondroitin pills daily.

Keeping the setup as low as possible without string buzzing (hard to do since I use a flatpick and and a lot of loud bass-chord rhythm).

Using low-tension strings - Martin FX or DR Rare - in light gauge.

Wearing an elastic thumb brace for yard work, cross-country skiing, and such (I play right-handed but am left-handed for everything else).

(This is the odd one) When the joint starts to hurt while playing, pressing the outside of the thumb joint against a hard surface - my own head if nothing else is handy. I don't know why this should work, but it definitely seems to.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCady View Post
I've had intermittent pain in the joint of my left thumb when playing, especially barre chords, for a few years now. I assume it to be arthritic. The following things seem to help:

Glucosamine/Chondroitin pills daily.

Keeping the setup as low as possible without string buzzing (hard to do since I use a flatpick and and a lot of loud bass-chord rhythm).

Using low-tension strings - Martin FX or DR Rare - in light gauge.

Wearing an elastic thumb brace for yard work, cross-country skiing, and such (I play right-handed but am left-handed for everything else).

(This is the odd one) When the joint starts to hurt while playing, pressing the outside of the thumb joint against a hard surface - my own head if nothing else is handy. I don't know why this should work, but it definitely seems to.
Maybe you are moving either the nerve or the joint just enough to take the pressure off them to give you some relief??
Old 11-23-2017, 10:50 AM

I have arthritis in both thumbs. Using the following has reduced the pain by 80%
  • Drink 2 oz of cold pressed Ginger each day (the king of anti-inflammatories)
  • Drink 2 oz of cold pressed Turmeric each day (the queen of anti-inflammatories)
  • Take 2 Zyflamend capsules (over the counter anti-inflammatory) each day
  • Take 2 Glucosamine/MSM/Condroident capsules each day
  • Apply "Deep Blue" essential oil to my thumbs each night

I used to think supplements and such were snake oil. But these have helped me significantly. You may have to keep at this for a month or so before seeing the positive effects.

It may seem like a lot, but hey if it helps me to continue playing guitar, it's worth it to me.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I think it probably depends on the individual player's hands and the particular neck shape. Arthritis aside, some necks just fit one person's hands really well while they're uncomfortable for someone else. I like kind of chunky necks. My hand seems to work to best advantage when the neck pretty much fills my hand. But I know other people who much prefer a slimmer neck. Add arthritis to the picture and I think it would depend on exactly what joints are affected. For some, the mechanics of gripping a thicker neck might help whereas for others it wouldn't. If you can, play some different neck shapes and see what hurts least. It would be great if you could borrow a guitar with a shape you think might work and give it an extended trial. This might be a case where Guitar Center's 30-day return policy comes in handy. Find a shape that you think will work. Even if the guitar isn't that appealing overall, maybe you could make a temporary purchase for the purpose of giving the neck shape a trial. Who knows, maybe you'll end up loving the guitar if the shape works well for you.

One thing I think is important: don't ignore pain and try to work through it. Exercising your hands can be helpful but just ignoring pain when performing a task really isn't a good idea. The other thing that isn't such a good idea is taking advice from someone like me instead of someone who is a professional familiar with your individual circumstances. See a doc, and if your primary care person isn't helpful, get a referral to a rheumatologist. A physical therapist or occupational therapist specializing in hand issues might actually be the most help, as they will really know hand mechanics in depth.
I agree. I have tried different shapes with surprising results. Some thinnecks were comfortable and some didn't fit my hand/wrist. Same wit thicker necks. They are all shaped differently.
I also saw a Doctor and then therapist.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:54 PM

I myself am getting to the point where after about 30 minutes of playing the joints on my fretting hand (left) are getting pretty painful.

After the holidays I'll schedule an appointment with the doc. I've been ignoring this and playing thru the pain with the help of ibuprofen.

Time for a reality check. I just put the guitar up a few minutes ago because of pain.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Basal is easy, start with cortisone, could last a year or more, if you need surgery they have a new method of fixing it and your back in action pain free in six weeks. I had the old method done on mine, took a year to recover. Then I had to have the index knuckle and middle finger knuckle's replaced with silicone ones, that pretty much killed off the guitar.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 11-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Some people are sensitive to nightshade plants. If I eat a lot of peppers or tomatoes I will have a lot more pain within a few hours. So I eat enough to make sure it's worth it, as in heck yeah, pile on those fresh jalapenos!

Repetitive strain should be ruled out or managed.

Cold laser can help.

Chondroiten- Glucosamine-MSM supplement helps me, it also helps my old dog.

CBD oil might be worth looking into. I got it for my dog but tested it on myself first. It really does help with pain, but you would need to research potential interaction with other medications, as it's a CYP450 inhibitor. I was surprised how well it worked for my degenerative lumbar spine damage and arthritic hips, and my dog was a new dog. We are still experimenting with a low dose.

Magnesium glycinate (only this version) works (sometimes well) for overall pain relief and definitely for muscle tightness.

I have arthritis in my hands, wrists, hips, back and that plus bone spurs in my neck. It's a race to see if I can make it to the end before my entire chassis crumbles from the wear and tear. I don't think these vehicles were made to last much past 50!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Guest 2434

for my left hand I have it in index 2nd knuckle, less in middle finger 2nd knuckle and at the base of my thumb.
right hand is mainly thumb but a lot of carpal tunnel from IT work.

glucossamine chondroitin works well for loosening things up. practicing little and often.

I have purchased a cordoba classical c9 parlor 7/8 size which I love and I have just acquired a very inexpensive RK RP-06 today.

my thoughts and research on what acoustic to use have personally led me towards 12 fret (maybe parlors), wide nut (1 3/4+) and away from big dreads.
that's what I feel will work best for me. I have looked very closely at travel/minis too.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sounds good. I love playing nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion