The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-30-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
There are 4 distinct parts in that opening chord; two guitar parts mentioned plus piano (George Martin) that plays its version of the chord, and the bass playing D.

https://youtu.be/2wbNaEXmyrw
The Wikipedia entry on that chord is hilarious, in a wonderful way. There are countless theories about exactly how it’s constructed.

I’ve seen the video you linked; it’s intriguing but not, for me, definitive. (For one thing, the chord supposedly attributed to John’s acoustic at 0:07 is unplayable by five-fingered humans. Try it.)

EDIT: OK, actually it can be done with a thumb wrap. Duh.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

I've always remembered it as a dissonant open string E A D G B E arpeggio leading right into A Hard Day's Night every week to begin the show. If that's not right, I've been tuning my guitar incorrectly by ear for over half a century now.

The storylines (if you can call them that) were inane like all cartoons of the time (except Mr. Peabody and Sherman). But they DID get us from one song to another, 3-4 in a half hour show.

The music was vastly superior to anything else that sugary cereal OD'd kids (like me) might've heard, vegetating in front of the tube back then, like Run For Your Life, Help, Nowhere Man, And Your Bird Can Sing, Ticket To Ride, Eleanor Rigby, Paperback Writer, Strawberry Fields, Taxman, etc., etc. Those tight harmonies, electric/acoustic guitars, and twin leads planted earworms in my head that I couldn't ignore if I wanted to. So I taught myself to make those sounds on the uke and guitar.

Last edited by tinnitus; 12-01-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
...The music was vastly superior to anything else that sugary cereal OD'd kids (like me) might've heard vegetating in front of the tube back then...
Well, the Jonny Quest intro and outro were pretty cool, too. The one thing that bugged me was that those scenes weren't in any of the episodes I saw.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
Well, the Jonny Quest intro and outro were pretty cool, too. The one thing that bugged me was that those scenes weren't in any of the episodes I saw.
Hey, I like Johnny Quest too! Didn't care much for Bandit and can't remember the song. Have to look that one up.

scott
Old 12-01-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
As a Brit that was well into "pop" music before, during and after the Beatles, I'm fascinated by the very different perspective of the band in the USA vs the UK.

It would seem that the Beatles had a far greater influence on the USA than on the UK, not to say they didn't have an impact here.

They were highly thought of, and popular, but just one of the many of the bands that emerged and got recognition in the early '60s, and just one of the bands/acts in the Brina Epstein "stable, including Cilla Black, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Freddie and the Dreamers, Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, The Big Three (my personal favourites),
The Fourmost (also my faves) The Paramounts, and that was just the acts from Liverpool. In London lots of others were emerging, not least the Rolling Stones and the others such as the Yardbirds, Downliners Sect, Alexis Korner, Cyril Davies, Rod Stewart, John Baldry, Pink Floyd, Small Faces Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds,
and then the others from Manchester (John Mayall, Hollies in particular) and Birmingham.

The Beatles were an important part of the UK pop scene but by no means the only ones. and I'd say that the more R&B influenced London scene had a greater influence.
Thanks for that perspective and insight. I'm a true Anglophile and convinced I was born on the wrong side of the pond. I would have to agree that the Beatles had a much larger impact here in the states....an impact still felt today. The vast majority of fans of the Beatles I either watch on YouTube or connect with elsewhere are from the US.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Like Wade I remember the Beatles cartoon show.
I definitely saw the beatles cartoon. Later the Jackson 5 as well Both paled in comparison to the Bay City Rollers live action show! Very confusing as we used to watch the Bay City Rollers Roller Derby team on T.V. during the same era!
Old 12-02-2020, 12:38 PM

Hahahaha!!! Roller derby! I haven't thought of that in years! And on the other channel, Masterpiece Theater.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha!!! Roller derby! I haven't thought of that in years! And on the other channel, Masterpiece Theater.
Seems like all that was on where I lived was the Flintstones followed by Perry Mason. No matter when on a weekday the TV was turned on. Flintstones followed by Perry Mason...
Old 12-02-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Hey, I like Johnny Quest too! Didn't care much for Bandit and can't remember the song. Have to look that one up.

scott
Old 12-03-2020, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
...Perry Mason...
Another one with cool music (“Park Avenue Beat” by the prolific Fred Steiner). I love trying to figure out stuff like that, especially because it takes some hunting to find a guitar-friendly key. Typically, everything will be going fine until I get to a certain chord, and it’s back to the drawing board.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Flintstones followed by Perry Mason...
What a segue. From the triumphantly ridiculous to the darkly sublime.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
What a segue. From the triumphantly ridiculous to the darkly sublime.
Dun duh, duh duh dun, duh duh duh duh duh "I was born in a dichotomous hurricane"
Old 12-03-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Seems like all that was on where I lived was the Flintstones followed by Perry Mason. No matter when on a weekday the TV was turned on. Flintstones followed by Perry Mason...
Uh, Perry Masonry.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic