The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-13-2020, 10:49 AM

Default Songs that others hate

Do you guys play any songs that drive others around you crazy?

I often take pauses while practicing the guitar and will just sit there with the guitar in my hand. Sometimes I will randomly and almost unconsciously start to play Nirvana - Come As You Are. It drives the s/o nuts.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

My wife absolutely cannot tolerate "My Creole Belle." My fault, I played it pretty incessantly for several months when I started finger-picking. She says it reminds her of "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."

Even now, years later, she will make that comment when I dust it off.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

I enjoy playing standards and bossa nova songs, not exactly what I put on the set list for your average bar/restaurant or winery gigs. And I do have some musician friends who cringe at the sound of diminished chords or anything with a flatted fifth.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
My wife absolutely cannot tolerate "My Creole Belle." My fault, I played it pretty incessantly for several months when I started finger-picking. She says it reminds her of "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."

Even now, years later, she will make that comment when I dust it off.
Haha - my college roommate hated "Spikedriver Blues" for the very same reason. It was my first finger-style piece ... and he had to have heard at least a 1000 false starts while trying to teach my thumb to keep going. He would leave the room screaming on numerous occasions. I guess that's what woodsheds are for ... :-)

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 11-13-2020, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
Do you guys play any songs that drive others around you crazy?

I will answer for anyone that plays Wonderful Tonight. Yes they do.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I will answer for anyone that plays Wonderful Tonight. Yes they do.
Our band once had a request to play that at a wedding. The drummer refused and left the kit for that song when we did it.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Our band once had a request to play that at a wedding. The drummer refused and left the kit for that song when we did it.
haha, don't blame him!
Current spousal unit and humble self both hate the song - we call it "the headache song" !

Same spousal unit (only have the one) has just reminded me that she dislikes this song:

Old 11-13-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopman View Post
Haha - my college roommate hated "Spikedriver Blues" for the very same reason. It was my first finger-style piece ... and he had to have heard at least a 1000 false starts while trying to teach my thumb to keep going. He would leave the room screaming on numerous occasions. I guess that's what woodsheds are for ... :-)
Yup, I wore that one out, too.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:32 PM

Never could stand that "Don't Worry be Happy" song from the late '80s.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:58 PM

Back in the '80s I recall someone preparing a list of "Songs guaranteed to get you thrown out of your local acoustic guitar store" (think the electric guys have the market cornered - think again) - "Heart of Gold," "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," and "Margaritaville" were all on the list (as expected), along with:
  • Amie - Pure Prairie League
  • Midnight Rider - Allman Brothers
  • Dust in the Wind - Kansas
  • Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
  • Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell
  • Fire & Rain/Sweet Baby James/Steamroller Blues - James Taylor
  • Blackbird/Rocky Raccoon - Beatles
  • Alice's Restaurant - Arlo Guthrie
  • American Pie/Vincent - Don McLean
  • Country Roads/Thank God I'm a Country Boy/Annie's Song - John Denver
  • Our House/Helpless/Teach Your Children - CSNY
  • Both Sides Now - Judy Collins
  • Leader of the Band/Another Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg
  • Moonshadow/Father & Son - Cat Stevens
  • Any 1958-65 "Folk Revival" song that has achieved "summer camp" status
- and a whole bunch of others I (thankfully) don't remember...
Old 11-13-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Nobody is unlucky enough to hear me play all the time so that's a blessing. But as a young teenager in a one 45 turntable home I played the BeeGees "I started a Joke" until I just about started a fight with my poor brother.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:06 PM

I will second “dust in the wind” and raise you a “hot blooded “

Scott
Old 11-13-2020, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Others here besides me have probably joined functioning cover bands and had to take on existing set lists. Sometimes I've had to bite my tongue, but it's mostly been an educational process, compelled to learn various pop songs, some insipid, that I never would've chosen myself. But it makes me better/more versatile.

Last bar band covered all the compulsory rockers including Cream, Allmans, Tommy Tu-Tone, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, STP, Petty, Skynyrd, Steppenwolf, "The One-Ders," Fastball, Stones, Free, Johnny Cash, Jimi, Jimmy, etc., etc.

No offense to anyone who likes it, but I had to swallow a little vomit every time "I'm a Believer" came around in a gig. My bandmates loved it, but performing that one onstage always made me feel like an organ-grinding toy monkey.

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-14-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

To this day my wife hates "Take it to the Limit" because her sister played it over and over and over when she was trying to study. Every once in a while I'll listen to "One of These Nights" and when it comes on, I'll hear about it!
Old 11-14-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Many players have a riff or chord sequence they go to immediately when they strap on the guitar, and I'm no exception.

A buddy of mine (a husband, father of three and struggling professional) has never dedicated the time to progress beyond the 4-5 campfire-chord repertoire he's maintained for the 30 years I've known him. Darn shame actually, because his fine vocals fall somewhere along a line between James Taylor and Vince Gill. And he can hold melody while I harmonize around him. We kill with Big & Rich stuff.

Anyhow, every time he straps on the Takamine, he goes right to a D chord arpeggio, carefully avoiding the open 6 and 5 strings that would sour it. Second pass includes that typical hammer-on/pull-off at fret-3 on the #1 string, and this throws off his timing. So he stops and starts over again. Across the decades, this has worked a raw nerve deep within me that has become Pavlovian. As he reaches for the guitar case, I quickly exit the room to hit the fridge or the bathroom for a few minutes until he's worked that thing out of his system. Love him like a brother, and I would hate to openly criticize, but dang dude...

I tend to start up with whatever's been on my mind lately to learn, and I guess it was that super-dramatic Santana intro to Europa for a few months in 1980 or so. Another pal of mine, a truly gentle and agreeable soul, EXPLODED one day. "Dammit! I HATE that thing! Don't play that anymore!!!" I stopped that one cold turkey and never tried it again, LOL.

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-14-2020 at 06:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic