The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-12-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
When I demo'd the OC3, if you set the split and played the chord, the effect did not apply to the frequencies above your split setting. However, you had to mute say the A string for example if your bass note was on the E string, otherwise it sounded muddy. I have a SubnUp coming today and I will compare it to the Pitchfork I picked up. The TC and the EHX products like the pitchfork and probably the EH9 Bass seem to track faster and that eliminates a lot of the mud.

I think the effect has to be used judiciously unless you are going for that all out organ tone.
Yes, that is why for me, playing 'boom-chick', the OC-3 in terms of supplying a single bass note, worked well. By muting, I was only playing one note, in the range, at the same time. But, to my ear, that bass note lacked defitnion and even seemed somehow out of tune. BUT, I really liked having that extra dimension, and then playing without it was a letdown (on many tunes)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 AM

I should think it possible to make a pedal that senses what chord you're playing, as a number of vocal harmonizers do, and provides a single bass note corresponding to the root note of that chord. With a choice of bass sounds, of course.

Anybody want to start a company with me and develop this? We'll call it the Bass Buddy.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:45 AM

To DD, (the OP),
I received my SubNup (not mini) and have compared it to the EHX Pitchfork. The SubNup has the nice option of blending the dry/up/down octaves separately. That gives you some more flexibility. When comparing the two - I simply like the sound of the EHX Pitchfork better. It tracks a tad faster and sounds more natural. It would be nice if you could blend the octaves and dry signals separately but the "Mix" control really works just as well to my ears.

As to your original question - I think the EHX B9 Bass will work best for your application. First of all, the tracking is excellent from what I can hear from the videos (and probably the same octave engine as my Pitchfork), the tone of the bass notes sounds far better than the OC3 (no disrespect to BOSS OC3 owners) and you can use the split setting so your chords on the higher 4 strings are not as affected. The only drawback is you cannot set the split.

I plan on picking up one of those and probably return my SubNup. I have to say that all of these pedals are a lot of fun. I won't use them on all songs but they do add more heft to your solo guitar tone and getting some organ type tones is pretty cool for certain tunes.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
To DD, (the OP),
I received my SubNup (not mini) and have compared it to the EHX Pitchfork. The SubNup has the nice option of blending the dry/up/down octaves separately. That gives you some more flexibility. When comparing the two - I simply like the sound of the EHX Pitchfork better. It tracks a tad faster and sounds more natural. It would be nice if you could blend the octaves and dry signals separately but the "Mix" control really works just as well to my ears.

As to your original question - I think the EHX B9 Bass will work best for your application. First of all, the tracking is excellent from what I can hear from the videos (and probably the same octave engine as my Pitchfork), the tone of the bass notes sounds far better than the OC3 (no disrespect to BOSS OC3 owners) and you can use the split setting so your chords on the higher 4 strings are not as affected. The only drawback is you cannot set the split.

I plan on picking up one of those and probably return my SubNup. I have to say that all of these pedals are a lot of fun. I won't use them on all songs but they do add more heft to your solo guitar tone and getting some organ type tones is pretty cool for certain tunes.
Dcopper, thanks for keeping the info flowing. Please keep us posted on this next pedal. I feel like I want to be able to adjust the split and split the signal as well. I'm surprised only the OC-3 is offering those options. I agree, it is fun to have that extra sound going for you. I haven't done any real solo work, but it would be a confidence booster....
Old 11-17-2019, 06:28 AM

I have a very old pedal called an "Able Bassmaker"
It does the same thing. Produces a bass note from a strummed chord. You can set one or two octaves down. It has separate or mixed outputs. I don't know who made these. It's in a plastic box, not the sort of Boss quality at all. Almost homemade looking but the effect works really well. They also made a strings pedal which adds strings, somehow in tune with the chord or notes played. Very old but great pedals if you see one on fleabay ever, well worth getting.
Nick
Old 11-17-2019, 06:40 AM

Here's a couple of links, the first to a page where you can hear the original demo cassette that the company put out. Cassette so ignore all the wow and flutter....remember that?
The second is a link to a site where someone uses one and talks about it.
Great pedal....I don't know why a big name didn't buy it and make it commercially.
Nick

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model...maker#pictures

http://dale-harris.blogspot.com/2009...r-by-john.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification