The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-17-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Delivery Fail

I think this funny and par for the coarse. I have a Charmed Life guitar pick that's been shipped. It's scheduled to be delivered to me tonight by nine. But it's in Virginia. I live in Iowa. It was shipped from California. Now I feel a little foolish for running downstairs to get the mail after I watched the mail truck dive away while I was playing my guitar. For a moment there it was perfect timing, not.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-18-2020, 08:26 AM

Delivery fail has been really common for months now. I feel it more via work because just my realm is getting or returning packages often, and overall our receiving people check in more than $100 million of stuff a year.

Our own delivery operation our shippers are also challenged by problems I'll call 2020 and those are on the increase right now.

At same time I noticed some recent Amazon Prime purchases offer same and one day delivery. On Monday I noticed a local warehouse I can go by now has their trailers there. Also I'm troubled by fewer independent seller options for some of that stuff. It feels like a new version of earlier times when consumers had less choice even though we have so much stuff available overall.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:52 AM

Just received a DHL package from the UK in three days.
Meanwhile UPS has taken a week so far to get here from UT.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

I recently sent some picks to a chap in Northern Ireland, which didn't turn up for maybe two weeks, We were bother rather disappointed so I made another shipment and sent them the day before he received a postcard from Royal Mail saying that he'd need to collect the package as I'd not put sufficient stamps on it.

I have had deliveries posted to the wrong house over the forty years I've been here, and am accustomed to taking in deliveries for my neighbours, but I don't think we've ever had a real "lost in post"

Because of the rise of online shopping we see far more delivery vans from many carriers and private vans/cars delivering Amazon stuff.

Seems our system is pretty good in comparison.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Just received a DHL package from the UK in three days.
Meanwhile UPS has taken a week so far to get here from UT.
DHL is almost always a delay where I am in upper Midwest, but I read they've got their electric semi tractors working in LA now. Some of our suppliers are signed up for BEV trucks so it will be neat when we start seeing them.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/11...n-los-angeles/

Closer to topic, at work we continue to get industry news and specific memos that say distribution and shipping will remain a challenge and some elements are expected to get worse.

I'm certain we'll have to be patient on shipping and supply matters. For quite a while now just under our own roofs I've watched problems grow when some people are gone for a bit, and where we struggle to fill open positions. Associates in a chat/huddle I do for tech and business issues have same going on where they work.

Boomer being exposed here, but I try to remember getting packages when it really was mail order. It would have been late 60s or early 70s, but I remember my dad liking Agfa film. First it was mail order to buy it, mail to get it, mail again to develop it, and then the slides would show up in the mail. The big city newspapers my dad used to get would be 1-3 days old by the time they reached our small upper Midwest town.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I think this funny and par for the coarse. I have a Charmed Life guitar pick that's been shipped. It's scheduled to be delivered to me tonight by nine.

Wait, you ordered one pick?
Old 11-19-2020, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

I ordered an item that shipped from about 100 miles from my place. It bounced around and traveled about 1000 miles before it eventuality made it to me.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-19-2020, 10:09 AM

I once bought a lens from an eBay seller in Southern California and it was shipped to my address in Las Vegas via Anchorage.

I've often wished it could tell me how it felt to travel 6830 miles for what was a distance of 270 miles.

Best,
PJ
Old 11-20-2020, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
Wait, you ordered one pick?
Yes. These picks are something like $40 a piece. And there's a waiting period to get one. Now that I have experienced it I have to admit it was money well spent. That truly surprised me. It didn't take long for me to hear the difference and deemed it my new full time pick. I flat pick and compared to my old normal pick the CL pick almost retains the high end attack sound on the low strings and the high strings have a ton more tone.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:47 PM

Today I learn that there are guitar picks which sell for $40
Old 11-20-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I was expecting a D18 Authentic Aged last Friday the 13th. The last time it was scanned was at 5 a.m. on the 14th by a machine scanner when it arrived at the airport in Atlanta. UPS has now opened a lost package investigation - some airport worker is having a nice Friday night jam session with my guitar tonight I believe.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbertman View Post
I was expecting a D18 Authentic Aged last Friday the 13th. The last time it was scanned was at 5 a.m. on the 14th by a machine scanner when it arrived at the airport in Atlanta. UPS has now opened a lost package investigation - some airport worker is having a nice Friday night jam session with my guitar tonight I believe.
I feel for you. That sucks. I mean it really sucks. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbertman View Post
Oh boy, that is not good. Hoping for the best for you and that killer D18.

Let us know the ending...

scott
Old 11-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I ordered an item that shipped from about 100 miles from my place. It bounced around and traveled about 1000 miles before it eventuality made it to me.
I've had two similar experiences with first class USPS mail over the past four months. Tracking showed one shipment from Ohio to North Carolina went to my usual sorting/distribution hub in Greensboro, NC (30 minutes from my home) to Philadelphia where it sat for 2 days, then Norfolk, VA and then sent to me at a delay of over a week

The second delay was from a California shipper to my local hub/distribution center, then to Raleigh, NC then to Virginia Beach, VA then to me (30 minutes outside Greensboro, NC).

Needless to say, I did not request an absentee ballot and voted early in person.

I am now awaiting a shipment via USPS first class mail from California that is about 4 days late already. I'm hopeful it gets to me by midweek.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic