The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Scratching the Jam Itch

To scratch that particular itch, I've recently started attending a local "opry house" that meets every week near me. If we don't have a gig booked or something else going on, I head out there. Nobody gets paid. It's an open mic kind of thing with a back up group that plays along if they know or can pick up on the song.

I performed a couple of times but this place is seriously counnnnn-try, as in Carter Family and Gospel. So I really didn't know any material I could perform that would satisfy the tastes of the attendees. But I started playing with the back-up band, which is really more fun. The performers come up there and I have no idea about the song other than the key they tell me. After a few measures I lock in and off we go.

Many of the performers are not ready for prime time, but the people in the back up band (it's who ever shows up) tend to be very good. We have bass, banjo, mandolin, dobro and several guitarists, one of whom used to be a studio musician for CBS back in the 60s. Great people to jam with. So gig or no gig, I get my music fix every week.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:39 PM

I attend a local jam almost every week. It really is a place for anyone who wants to come and play and sing. This is not a formal business such as a coffee house, etc. A local Fire Department allows us to use their facility free of charge which is a really nice gesture on their part. We do place an offering container out for anyone who desires to drop a dollar or two in. All of the money collected is then given to the Fire Department as a contribution for their operating expenses and a token of our appreciation.

We usually have 12 - 15 people show up weekly to jam. There will also be others who drop in just to listen. Our skill level extends from one end of the spectrum to the other, but we do it for fellowship and enjoying each other's friendship. The music mostly played is Country from 20 year ago and even farther back. We also play Country Gospel. If one doesn't know the song, they join right in learning and advancing their skill level. No one is critical of those of us learning, or helping others learn. I will say that most everyone present is older and grew up on Country and Gospel. We don't often play any Rock music, but I will occasionally threw in a few bars of the Doobie Brothers, Chicago, Temptations and similar styles.

We have electrics, acoustics, and a bass guitar. There is also a keyboard and steel guitar. Sometimes we sound like we are on the way to bigger venues while at other times it seems that we are in the mud and not moving ahead. The bottom line is that this is for fun and fellowship and to enjoy our passion for music and friendships, past, present, and new friends.

Last edited by barefooter; 07-22-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 PM

We have a weekly bluegrass jam that I've attended for about 10 years now. I usually play mandolin. A handful of us are pretty good and after playing together so long we can have a pretty tight sound. We welcome all ages/experience levels, BUT 10 people in a jam (especially with 5 on guitar) is too many. So we'll usually start a second jam to split it up. I've performed and played for many years, but I've come to recognize that I much prefer playing with people to playing for people.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I play with two jam groups; one on Long Island and one Upstate near Kingston NY. They are both completely different. The LI group meets twice a month and I've been playing with them since January. They are mostly good players and singers, who've been playing together for years. They know each other's songs and can improvise over them. Here you just announce the song and the key and everyone just follows along. This is fine for them because they know the songs but I'm usually lost or close to lost and hanging on by the skin of my teeth. If this was a bicycle ride you would say that I was about to go out the back!

But they are very welcoming and encouraging I learn something new each time I meet with them, even if it's just timing and getting used to playing with others. But I always leave the jam feeling like I learned something and gained confidence. We even played on stage at a July 4 Art Show and again I just hung in the back strumming, but it was a great experience

The Upstate group is much different. They meet every week and I just started there; been there twice. They have a huge songbook that all the regulars have a copy of and a couple copies for new players. Here I'm somewhere in the middle of ability and there are two really good players who will show you anything. This one is much more casual and easy going and much easier to follow since you have the words chords in front of you.

Both are great experiences. Both are very welcoming. And I learn a lot at each. I think I get more from these jams than I would from a formal lesson and it's a lot of jun.

I encourage everyone who's enjoying their guitar at home to get out and find a jam group. There are groups everywhere, you just have to find them. And you just have to get over the ''stagefright'' of pulling your guitar out and opening your mouth with others. Everyone is nervous at first and everyone gets over it

''with a little help from their friends''

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic