The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Emeralds in Atlanta

I have read soooooooooo much here about Emerald guitars! I hope to find a kind soul living in Atlanta willing to let me caress his 12 fret Emerald baby and maybe play just two chords.

I live in Lilburn and my schedule is very flexible.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
I have read soooooooooo much here about Emerald guitars! I hope to find a kind soul living in Atlanta willing to let me caress his 12 fret Emerald baby and maybe play just two chords.

I live in Lilburn and my schedule is very flexible.
That might be tough to come by - all the recent Emeralds (up to the announcement at the end of May of the new models) have been 14 fret necks.

That said, I tried to find an Emerald to see in person before ordering my first... then, a leap of faith: I ordered an X7 based on all the good things I read on this forum and the former Carbon Fiber forum from McNichols.

I was blown away when the guitar arrived 4 days later (from Ireland) - absolutely flawless construction and sound that was even better than I expected.

It made it even easier to buy another when a Select Series with louro preto veneer appeared in my e-mail.

I used to be a "have to try it before I buy it" kinda guy. The last 6 guitars I've bought have been on-line or by phone, and I haven't been disappointed. I have done some set up work on a couple of them, but they have all been good guitars. That said, there are some guitar brands that I would not buy without some hands-on... but, realistically, those aren't guitars that I would seriously consider.

These days, I am spoiled - I expect my guitars to sound and play great, AND to be designed for comfort. Emerald delivers that.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Good luck Brain....the 12 frets were only available as a special order, so I doubt if there are many (if any) around. That said, the 14 frets are still worth hunting down to try if you are thinking about an Emerald.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Good luck Brain....the 12 frets were only available as a special order, so I doubt if there are many (if any) around. That said, the 14 frets are still worth hunting down to try if you are thinking about an Emerald.
I gotta try one on to check the fit. My most comfortable guitar is a wooden 12 fret, wide neck. My favorite guitar is a CA OX "Slick". Slick has great sound BUT is very uncomfortable for me to hold. I have been saving my shekels for a repla*%#ent ( I must be careful. Slick might be listening.) instrument. Closest city to Atlanta that shows Emerald samples?

Of course, I might find someone that feels sorry for me and is willing to trade.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

We each have to walk our own guitar journey. With that philosophical crap out of the way, no one feels sorry for you as you fret (pun intended) over the next guitar.

I thought hard pointy stuff was just a part of playing guitar until I bought that first Emerald.

"Wait! You are telling me a guitar can play great, sound great, look great, AND be comfortable?? Well, that changes everything!" Kidding aside, this was a revelation along the lines of getting a good set-up. The right set-up can make most guitars play better... but that doesn't change the fact that most guitars are still made the same way, with the same hard shape.

After getting a couple smaller body 12-fret guitars, I thought I was on to something... nice sound, less reach. That is pretty minor compared to a whole guitar that feels good.

You know how some upscale stores offer a "personal shopper"? That's what the acoustic guitar world needs: a personal shopper... assess your individual needs, then pick out a guitar that's just right for you. OR, maybe all this angst is just part of what we enjoy?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 AM

The "new" X7, which nobody has yet but some soon will, is a 12-fretter (kind of half-slope-shouldered ). And somebody on the forum reported ordering a short scale new X10 that is a 13-fretter!

Last edited by JimCA; 07-17-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
The "new" X7, which nobody has yet but some soon will, is a 12-fretter (kind of half-slope-shouldered ). And somebody on the forum reported ordering a short scale new X10 that is a 13-fretter!
Yep, I ordered an X10, 24.6” scale, which is a 13 fret, so the bridge doesn’t have to move. It will have the level 2 electronics, so has piezo and a humbucker. They said it would be done on the 20th of this month, which is just around the corner. I haven’t heard anything from them yet. Is that a good sign?

Brainy, you are welcome to play my X10 anytime.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Yep, I ordered an X10, 24.6” scale, which is a 13 fret, so the bridge doesn’t have to move. It will have the level 2 electronics, so has piezo and a humbucker. They said it would be done on the 20th of this month, which is just around the corner. I haven’t heard anything from them yet. Is that a good sign?

Yes, that somebody ordered one! Thanks Pine -- that's very soon -- looking forward to your early reporting.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Ohhh... that sounds real good! Well, except for not hearing anything, yet. Let's see... the 20th would be on a Friday... Emerald's shipping day. This could be getting real. Really real.

You know I'll be very interested to hear how it all goes, Pine.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Guest 928

Oh NO! That's a terrible sign. You may be relegated to CF purgatory, forever awash in the anguish of waiting. Tequila and tear salt, that's the mix.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Ohhh... that sounds real good! Well, except for not hearing anything, yet. Let's see... the 20th would be on a Friday... Emerald's shipping day. This could be getting real. Really real.

You know I'll be very interested to hear how it all goes, Pine.
I have an email in to Kevin. We’ll see......

Mr. Brain D: Would you perhaps get a good feel for a 12 fretter by trying an X20 capo’d on the first fret? Surely there’s an X20 somewhere in the Atlanta area!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:40 PM

Hi BrainDead
I live in Atlanta - Virginia Highland - and have a X20 Opus 12-string, 14-fret. It's very head-heavy with all those tuners but a lovely guitar. Let me know if you want to see/play it.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM
Guest 928

CS;

Very nice!
Old 07-20-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I have an email in to Kevin. We’ll see......

Mr. Brain D: Would you perhaps get a good feel for a 12 fretter by trying an X20 capo’d on the first fret? Surely there’s an X20 somewhere in the Atlanta area!
Does a X20 have the same body as a "12 fretter"?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshadwell View Post
Hi BrainDead
I live in Atlanta - Virginia Highland - and have a X20 Opus 12-string, 14-fret. It's very head-heavy with all those tuners but a lovely guitar. Let me know if you want to see/play it.
I really would like to see it! Playing it would not help me but I would enjoy holding it, caressing it, kissing it and oooh...

Are we on? Can I buy you a cup of coffee?

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-20-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Edited

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber