The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Musical minimalist

Probably under 200 that I could pull in full from memory, and another 300 that are stuck back in the lobes somewhere that I'd need a bit of a nudge to get through (read that a couple practice rounds!)

I used to be able to play 8 sets (4 Friday - 4 Saturday) without repeating a tune or needing a chord/lyric sheet. Been a couple years since I've done that due to parent issues.

I'm working on getting things back together so I can play again in the fall if I decide it's what I want to do.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I got into the habit of reading lyrics on stage. I'm trying to break away from that now. I probably have about 12-15 that I can play thru without forgetting the words.
I'm just barely ahead of you with 15-20. I have done about 125 different songs at open mics but there's no way I can remember that many. Plus many were "one and done" because I didn't like the way they turned out. Luckily, open mic audiences are pretty forgiving and clap politely even when you screw up!
Old 07-14-2018, 10:54 AM

On my own, about 50 that are show ready.
Now with my band, we have about 75 songs that are show ready.
What's funny about the band songs is that I only know my part and not the complete songs.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Purely from memory, definitely more than 100, but probably fewer than 150; that is chords, lyrics and melody.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:15 PM

Default How Many Songs in your Repertoire?

Many moons ago I could do two hour acoustic sets no problem. Now I suffer from CRS (can’t remember s...). I use a song book and can now play 30-40 songs without a problem.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 07-14-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I work off a songlist of approximately 300 songs when I play out live... not all of them are my current favorites; some I haven't played in many years, but I would play them if I had a mind to...

In that list is 50 or so original pieces, only a few of which are instrumental tunes. I'm always pushing myself to pay more of my own stuff; it's too easy to lean on other's songs in order to "win" an audience's attention or favor, so I'll do that as a default.

I also do a bunch of more "jazz standard"-type tunes that aren't necessarily included in that songlist. I'd need to consult a rhythm chart for some, due to the complexity and sheer number of chord changes, but I KNOW them and would feel comfortable performing them.

I generally play acoustic 6 and 12 string guitars and sing when I perform these days. Haven't worked "out" with a band format in a long time, although recently, I did a fair number of shows with another guitarist and I had to modify my 'playlist" to the ones he felt comfortable playing.

It's not a race or a contest or anything like that... my suggestion would be to play songs that you TRULY love playing (and singing?) and keep adding them to your repertoire as you go along...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-14-2018, 04:17 PM

Curious timing on this question as I transcribe the faithful "binder" of songs, to a digital format that is lighter and more easily transported. I still have the play list from my first band (1965 I think) and remember all of them. If that seems odd, consider that you practice and play them a lot, so they become ingrained in your memory. Over the years you add many....and forget a few, so I think I've got 75 or so that are playable without help. Now, I have those and another 50 on the laptop (just words and chords) which will get me through any evening or pick up session. I also think that we all add and delete songs as we get tired of them or we change our focus of music types. I don't want to forget those favorites which is one of the reasons I am going from paper to digital formats. Another part I have to mention is age. As we get older you surprise yourself while playing with a few others, when they start a song you hadn't thought of in years and you jump right in. At the end you are a bit amazed that you remembered it....lol...and so is everyone that they did too.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Got 150 songs front to back that I can play all from memory. Not much room for anything else tho, lol. Usually don’t play over 75 at any gig.
That’s inspiring

Quote:
Made a list a while back of every song I've ever played in the last 55 years - probably left out a few inadvertently in the process...

Came up with well over 600 songs - 200-250 of which I could play at a moment's notice, and about a hundred more that I could get back up to speed in short order...

I haven't been a "professional" in the strict sense - card-carrying AFM member, club/studio/backup musician, freelance vocal/orchestral arranger-for-hire - since the mid-90's...

These days our band - individually and collectively - takes local gigs, does fundraisers and charity work, operates on our own schedule, and has a heluva lot of fun just enjoying the music; FWIW our bass player and vocalist have a similarly large repertoire - and one of the things that resonates with our audiences is that we can pull up just about any genre/artist upon request...

"Professional" is as professional does - and that doesn't always mean a multi-million-dollar recording contract and five-continent album-promo tour..
Again, very impressive.

One takeaway from the responses so far is that the more we play the songs in our repertoire, the more they become ingrained in our memories.

I'm sure age has a lot to do with it also, I'm now 64 and I have to repeat everything over and over before I finally remember it

I remember reading something that Tommy Emmanuel said about learning new songs, and this is not a quote but he said something like practice the song over and over until it you can play the song without thinking, and then play keep on playing it regularly. Now there’s a guy who has a repertoire

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:51 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

It's not a race or a contest or anything like that... my suggestion would be to play songs that you TRULY love playing (and singing?) and keep adding them to your repertoire as you go along...
True words - if you don't feel it, nobody's going to buy it!

Old 07-14-2018, 09:12 PM

I have cheat sheets with a little more than 200 songs in a binder.

Almost have them memorized, but it's nice to have a safety net, glance at the sheet every now and then.

I will often take requests, and if I don't have that song chances are I have one by the same artist, or one that is similar.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Wait what was the question again ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-15-2018, 08:50 AM

I have gone over 4 hrs with minimal breaks and no repeats in solo performances (all covers). I have about 85 songs in my head and never even need a set sheet. Just how my mind works, I guess.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:23 PM

I also find it amazing that some musicians can store that many songs and lyrics! I’m not anywhere near those numbers myself. I have a play sheet of about 60 songs or so, but could only play maybe half without any help. Most are fairly simple strumming tunes anything from Beatles to Foo Fighters.

Then there are a handful of fingerstyle tunes, much more difficult to learn and retain.... at least for me. Don’t think I’d ever be able to retain too many of those without constant practice. Id be curious how many pieces fingerstyle players retain on average... maybe an idea for another thread?

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 07-16-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I have gone over 4 hrs with minimal breaks and no repeats in solo performances (all covers). I have about 85 songs in my head and never even need a set sheet. Just how my mind works, I guess.
Me too. I started making up a list that I could play and sing by myself, strictly from memory. I quit at about 100, each one I remembered reminded me of two or three more. My repertoire will last much longer than my fingers these days.
et al
Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 PM

I have about 300 songs currently. I can play a lot of them from memory but there are a few that I need some lyric reminders occasionally.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write