The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Our cars still have CD players (single-slot/single disk in my 2014 Outback, single-slot/6-disk in Bob's 2011 Fusion), and we're not about to get new cars any time soon. I fully expect my Outback to outlive my cats, if not me. I haven't put any music on the car's hard drive, but before I gave Bob the Fusion (when I got the Outback) I had my iTunes library uploaded to its hard drive. I usually listen to broadcast or satellite radio. I remember back in 1988 when Discman players first came out, and cars had only cassette decks, I would plug the Discman into a dangling aux-in jack the car audio store had run from the back of the "head unit" through a crevice in the dash. And in my first car, there wasn't even a radio, much less any kind of tape deck. Until I got a radio installed, I kept a transistor radio on the console behind the shifter--and later, a portable cassette player (the big ones, pre-Discman) on the front seat (or in the passenger's lap). No cigarette-lighter adaptors back then. Went through a lot of batteries!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
That's interesting, I've yet to run across that. Most I see are actually the opposite. It's FAR cheaper to have info and music online than to have CDs. A few do both but not many of the small venue folks we see.
Well I have.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Biggest gripe I have is that the levels are so much different - I set it for shuffle and one cut is very quiet and the next is loud.....always reaching for the volume button on the steering wheel.
Me too! I thought it was just a quirk, but it must be systemic in the transferring process maybe
Old 07-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
All I know is that I have to make my own wax cylinders for my Victrola.

cotten
How many candles do you have to melt!
Old 07-07-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Posts from the past.

Dang I just purchased a new Chevy and can you believe it; it doesn't have an eight track player....now what? I guess I'll have to start buying cassette albums.
Funny story: my mom's old car had an 8-track player so my brother bought one of those massive converters that allowed you to play a 'regular' cassette tape. We then bought a cassette tape converter that let us plug in a CD player. She got rid of it before we could try a cellphone -> Bluetooth receiver -> cassette adapter -> 8-track chain. Suppose my brother could do that in reverse so he can play that old Queen 8-track in his Bluetooth only car?
Old 07-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I are driving on vacation and she decided to dig into the CDs I make and started playing them. I make mix CDs for different themes. These were obscure 60s blues jams. One with Jimi and Johnny Winter. Then there were the studio jams of Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor and Jimmy Page plus Nicky Hopkins and the bass player and drummer of Fleetwood Mac. Did I mention Peter Green. These jams were before Led Zep or Cream or any of that. Find that stuff to stream.

I adjust the volume etc. on my mix CDs so there isn't that giant change of volume or presence.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Use the USB. I have a Honda Accord. I put like 1000 songs on USB stick and plug it in to play from that.
I'm jealous of you Rob, I parted with my last Accord when I got my first CRV - Accord is a superior car in many ways.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm jealous of you Rob, I parted with my last Accord when I got my first CRV - Accord is a superior car in many ways.
Thanks. Yes, I love Accords. It's my second Accord. Never have any problems with them and they drive great.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Thanks. Yes, I love Accords. It's my second Accord. Never have any problems with them and they drive great.
I almost went for another ('18) Accord with the new body style, but I saw that little Hatchback Sport and it was all over!

Old 07-07-2018, 06:31 PM

It's rare when the music I'm listening to isn't coming from the guitar I'm playing at the moment. Otherwise, you won't find me listening to any recorded music. I disconnected with listening to published (recorded) music years ago and carry in my head all the old influences and favorites. They're in my cover repertoire.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:11 PM

I heard that many new cars do not have ashtrays and because of this smokers are annoyed and just throw their butts out the window which is a major cause of wildfires.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I heard that many new cars do not have ashtrays and because of this smokers are annoyed and just throw their butts out the window which is a major cause of wildfires.
Wow.

I never considered that.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:09 AM

I'm too busy dumping my CDs onto cassettes so that I can play them in my old truck.

On a more serious note, as at least one other person has mentioned, go with an aftermarket CD player. Heck, Best Buy installs them pretty cheaply these days and does a pretty good job. I have an aftermarket CD player that also does Bluetooth, USB, etc. It's great.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:55 AM

Okay, there can be a downside to the superior modern way. We just finished most of a month of family of 5 traveling and we got low on data in past days. After some $ to Verizon I reminded everyone of the "Downloaded Music" on their phones and got direct and indirect confessions that without streaming it left everyone with thousands of tracks.

I can't weigh in on the Accord vs CRV which is superior but am smiling over my cousin unhappy with her decision to get a new Pilot after 2 Odyssey minivans and my wife's decision to stick with and go for the SE (lowered Lexusish Toyota). Over all that travel we just wrapped up I repeated how much the kids gripes rang hollow in the context of their parents doing the same sort of travel in mid-60s to early 70s Ford and GM wagons.

I'm fine with no CDs in cars. If digital music fails there are still hundreds of LPs in the house. If electricity fails my beloved Santa Cruz guitar will still make music but not so well well while driving or with me driving it.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Since cars are not typical places for critical listening, why not use Bluetooth and forget USBs?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic