The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post

Here’s a pic from the shelter. Not a great pic, he’s definitely better looking in person. His name at the shelter is “Dozer”. I’m trying to decide if I want to keep that name or come up with something else. My other two guys have football names since I’m a coach so I don’t know if I wanna keep that theme. I might name him something boxing related.
It's OK to do it. We renamed our current rescue, (a pointer/dalmatian mix) the day we picked him up and it didn't take long for him to get used to it.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:30 PM

Great looking Boxer, and glad to hear he's getting a good home and another chance. A good buddy of mine had a Boxer and that dog just loved me, of course I played with him a lot, very smart athletic dogs, you're gonna have a great time with him.
You could name him *Frazier*
Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Great looking Boxer, and glad to hear he's getting a good home and another chance. A good buddy of mine had a Boxer and that dog just loved me, of course I played with him a lot, very smart athletic dogs, you're gonna have a great time with him.
You could name him *Frazier*

Thanks. Yeah I’ve never owned one but the Boxers I’ve been around have all been goofy, smart, athletic and awesome dogs. I like “Frazier”. My wife wants to spend a little time with him and give him a name that goes with his personality.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:43 AM

My experience, last January a small border collie mix showed up on our front porch on a Sunday morning. Very nice and cute, we thought she had gotten loose from a yard. Took her to the shelter the next day and found out someone had tried to drop her off. We put her in the shelter for about a week and then went back and got her, named her Charley, and it fits. She has made a super nice addition for my wife and me. Never barks, good with people and likes vanilla ice cream. Perfect......all is good with rescue dogs.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 PM

This is Atlas, I adopted him from a rescue agency when he was about a year old.

Shelter and rescue dogs tend to be a little standoffish their first few days in a new home. Give them a week to acclimate and you'll begin to see their true personality. Atlas was very reserved at first but began to loosen up and play within a few days. Today, he's just a big clown and the whole neighborhood pets him when he walks.

These dogs seem to have a real appreciation for a stable new home and pay you back at every opportunity.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
This is Atlas, I adopted him from a rescue agency when he was about a year old.

Shelter and rescue dogs tend to be a little standoffish their first few days in a new home. Give them a week to acclimate and you'll begin to see their true personality. Atlas was very reserved at first but began to loosen up and play within a few days. Today, he's just a big clown and the whole neighborhood pets him when he walks.

These dogs seem to have a real appreciation for a stable new home and pay you back at every opportunity.
That’s a handsome dog. Looks like he’s smiling.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Thanks. Yeah I’ve never owned one but the Boxers I’ve been around have all been goofy, smart, athletic and awesome dogs. I like “Frazier”. My wife wants to spend a little time with him and give him a name that goes with his personality.
Agree with your wife. This is one of our dogs, 'Dylan'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFxR...ature=youtu.be

We go with musical theme names but if I had waited to see his personality come through I would have called him 'Forrest'.

YouTube
Old 07-03-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
That’s a handsome dog. Looks like he’s smiling.
You'd smile too if someone was fixing and buying all your food, new toys regularly. You can sleep most of the day and the only thing you have to accomplish to be held in high regard is don't poop on the floor.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Nice looking pups, HHP and Ozzy. I definitely agree with HHP’s logic.

I got the boxer home today. He’s starting to get comfortable and my other dogs and him are getting to know each other. He responds to the name Dozer so we may just keep that name. Hopefully we can get the Heartworms treated soon and be good to go.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

We rescued our gentle giant from a kill shelter. He’s a kind soul, except for birds, snakes and mice. He now a working Therapy dog. That’s a little dog between his front legs.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
We rescued our gentle giant from a kill shelter. He’s a kind soul, except for birds, snakes and mice. He now a working Therapy dog. That’s a little dog between his front legs.

Labs and Lab mixes are great dogs, usually very sociable. My last dog was a Lab mix but he was a surly cuss. Hated everybody buy me. Had to cut more than one vacation short when the boarding kennel people were scared to fool with him.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Just wanted to say after having this guy home for two weeks, I definitely recommend adopting a dog. This dude so well behaved and really laid back. He defintely has that boxer energy when you play with him though. He already knows basic commands and is very respectful of boundaries and hasn’t had any accidents in the house yet except for trying to mark his very first day. It’s awesome knowing that this guy was headed toward the end of the line as he had been at the shelter quite a while and now he has a good home. Just gotta get him through the heart worm treatment in a few weeks.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Over the years most of our dogs have been shelter or foster rescues. Two weeks ago we adopted two Italian (mini) greyhounds...Mario and Sky. They're both over 10 and their previous owner passed away. Our get knew we'd been dogless for two years and have us a call. Apparently we're all made for each other...they've settled in like they've always been here.

We're all very happy!

Ha! Mario just licked me on the ear!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Over the years most of our dogs have been shelter or foster rescues. Two weeks ago we adopted two Italian (mini) greyhounds...Mario and Sky. They're both over 10 and their previous owner passed away. Our get knew we'd been dogless for two years and have us a call. Apparently we're all made for each other...they've settled in like they've always been here.

We're all very happy!

Ha! Mario just licked me on the ear!
Wow Phil, Italian Greyhounds have to be the cutest looking dogs in the world. Some might say they're not a man's dog but I love 'em.

Pictures?

YouTube
Old 07-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Missy on the left is a rescued dog.. . On the right is a year old male Scote's we got him from a breeder.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic