The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly6928 View Post
Great job, Glenn! Beautiful!

Chris
Thank you Chris!

Very nice of you to comment! I'm glad you like this!

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that was really good.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim500 View Post
Wow, that was really good.
Thank you very much Skim500! Very nice of you to listen and comment here! I'm very glad you like this!

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Contrary to the other posters, I was never a huge S&G fan (yes, I know that's sacrilege to some), but as usual you did a lovely rendition of that song. Not bad for an OLD guy (I think I just read in some thread you recently turned 70? Belated happy birthday if so). And I must reiterate, I simply love that Guild 12 string and you play it well. Wonderful that you keep posting. Keep it up.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Contrary to the other posters, I was never a huge S&G fan (yes, I know that's sacrilege to some), but as usual you did a lovely rendition of that song. Not bad for an OLD guy (I think I just read in some thread you recently turned 70? Belated happy birthday if so). And I must reiterate, I simply love that Guild 12 string and you play it well. Wonderful that you keep posting. Keep it up.
Thank you very much, Nailpicker!

I'm really gratified to read that you feel this song came out okay! And thank you very much for the encouragement to keep posting. That means a great deal to me!

Regarding birthdays, my 70th birthday is a few months off in the future, so I am still officially age 69, but I am creeping up on 70.

Thanks so much for posting your comments, Nailpicker!

- Glenn
Old 11-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
That's a great recording Glenn. So many of the songs you post are ones that I've played through the years. I used to play this one for wedding gigs a fair bit. Hearing you do it on that gorgeous Guild gives me another piece of evidence for my file titled "Why I need a Guild F512".

Beautiful.
Hi Laughingboy68,

I just realized that I missed commenting on your post on this thread!

I just want to say how glad I am that you liked this song and how much I appreciate your commenting here! Sorry I missed your comment way back in September!

And I do hope that someday you can acquire a Guild F512! It is really a wonderful 12-string!!!

Regards,
Glenn
Old 11-04-2017, 07:39 AM

Another great performance, Glenn! The only thing it, every time you post these, I have to add another song to my to-do list!
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 11-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Another great performance, Glenn! The only thing it, every time you post these, I have to add another song to my to-do list!
Thank you IPA! Glad you liked this! I'm sure you could do a good job on this, but having a 12-string helps a great deal. I don't think I have ever attempted to play this on a 6-string.

Is the "2011 Hoffman SJ 12" on your guitar list a 12-string or a 12-fret 6-string? I just did a quick Google search and find that it is a 12-string! In fact, it looks very nice! https://www.google.com/search?q=Hoff...RaC3Nwk1wul5M:

- Glenn
Old 11-05-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you IPA! Glad you liked this! I'm sure you could do a good job on this, but having a 12-string helps a great deal. I don't think I have ever attempted to play this on a 6-string.

Is the "2011 Hoffman SJ 12" on your guitar list a 12-string or a 12-fret 6-string? I just did a quick Google search and find that it is a 12-string! In fact, it looks very nice! https://www.google.com/search?q=Hoff...RaC3Nwk1wul5M:

- Glenn
Yes, it's a 12-string. Here he is with his 6-String brother. I need to do more with it and have been inspired to do just that by several of your videos.

2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 11-05-2017, 09:00 AM

This has always been one of my favourite Simon and Garfunkel tune. Great performance.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Yes, it's a 12-string. Here he is with his 6-String brother. I need to do more with it and have been inspired to do just that by several of your videos.

Wow! What a beautiful pair of guitars! Good for you! I will try to keep my eyes open for one of your videos with your 12-string!

- Glenn
Old 11-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
This has always been one of my favourite Simon and Garfunkel tune. Great performance.
Hi Denis,

Thank you for commenting and for your kind words! I am really glad you like this rendition; this song has been one of my favorite S&G songs, also!

Thank you!
- Glenn
Old 11-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Glenn,

That was a wonderful performance and I was so inspired that I started learning the song on my 12 string this weekend. I hope I can learn to play it as well as you. I won’t be doing the vocals, will just be happy to play along!

Cheers,

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Glenn,

That was a wonderful performance and I was so inspired that I started learning the song on my 12 string this weekend. I hope I can learn to play it as well as you. I won’t be doing the vocals, will just be happy to play along!

Cheers,

Bob
Thank you so much, Bob!

How wonderful to read that you were inspired by this and that now you are working on learning to play it!

As I have been recovering from hip joint replacement surgery (about 3.5 weeks ago), I have wondered if a tutorial on how to play "For Emily" would be worthwhile to do.

Do you think a tutorial would be helpful to you? Or are you able to obtain everything you need to know from my performance video? I'd be very curious to get your reaction.

Thanks so much for your comments and enthusiasm, Bob!

- Glenn
Old 11-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you so much, Bob!

How wonderful to read that you were inspired by this and that now you are working on learning to play it!

As I have been recovering from hip joint replacement surgery (about 3.5 weeks ago), I have wondered if a tutorial on how to play "For Emily" would be worthwhile to do.

Do you think a tutorial would be helpful to you? Or are you able to obtain everything you need to know from my performance video? I'd be very curious to get your reaction.

Thanks so much for your comments and enthusiasm, Bob!

- Glenn
Glenn,

I had a left hip replacement 9 years ago when I was 50. It was the result of a running injury that happened when I was 34 and the damage to my hip just kept getting increasingly arthritic. I got an active life back after the surgery and I’ve never had any issues. I can do anything I want (other than becoming an active runner). I hope you have the same success with your new hip. I figure after I’m cremated when I meet my reward at the Great Guitar Shop in Heaven, all that will be left will be two pieces of stainless steel! Then my wife can put them in a can and have a pretty good percussion instrument .

I’m using the transcription in Mark Hanson’s Paul Simon songbook and Mark says it is the exact arrangement that Paul Simon plays in the original recording. To be honest, I prefer your version as you throw some strums in earlier that embellish the piece better to my ears. I’ll learn the original but I think I’ll download the audio to your YT video and put it in Amazing Slow Downer to work on adding your dynamics.

Thanks!

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell