The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Default Recommended program for Ear Training

I have a student who needs some serious help with ear training, I just don't have the time to help her unfortunately. I learned with a record player by ear years ago myself.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a DVD, book, program that they have found to be successful?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:59 AM

There is a phone application called "MyEar" very good app.

There is one called Ear Training i'm sure which you can download for the PC.

I'm currently devolping my ear and all i do is listen to a song and try to play it back no matter how long it takes. may take 30mins- 1 hour to learn a simple melody but i do it in the end.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:46 AM

www.justinguitar.com covers the subject well IMO.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM

http://www.musictheory.net/

This site is pretty good... The exercises section has loads of flash tests on different aural skills
Old 09-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

My student isn't the type of person who will sit in front of a smart phone. That's just not happening.

I was hoping to find something that is a book/DVD combo or book/CD. I'm pushing it with an online program, or software. But she wasn't 100% against it.

If she's following along to just me playing guitar she can hear the changes. But when a full band is playing its too much distraction. Shes a competent player but has been a bedroom picker for years, and using strictly tabs.

Ive found a couple of options but - lack of reviews - isn't worth the gamble.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitco View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

My student isn't the type of person who will sit in front of a smart phone. That's just not happening.

I was hoping to find something that is a book/DVD combo or book/CD. I'm pushing it with an online program, or software. But she wasn't 100% against it.

If she's following along to just me playing guitar she can hear the changes. But when a full band is playing its too much distraction. Shes a competent player but has been a bedroom picker for years, and using strictly tabs.

Ive found a couple of options but - lack of reviews - isn't worth the gamble.
Don't know of any books apart from some of the aural companions for gradings maybe.

Is she alraedy playing with other people or is her goal ultimately to play with other people?

Could you maybe set her a task of working out a song she likes by ear?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Don't know of any books apart from some of the aural companions for gradings maybe.

Is she alraedy playing with other people or is her goal ultimately to play with other people?

Could you maybe set her a task of working out a song she likes by ear?
Former student, who asks for advice sometimes. I only teach a couple of kids regularly these days. Life is to busy. I don't have the time to sit down with her anymore.

I give her the chords and a brief progression, she can play a song all day long. She can memorize a lead if she has the tabs. When playing with others at a church picnic, or a bluegrass/old time jam, she cant hear the chord changes on a song she hasn't memorized verbatim.

Very weak ear, that needs training. Can usually hear if the note is wrong, but cant tell you the note without a few trys.

Most of the people she plays with play by ear. Nobody says, play c for 3 bars than f 2x, back to C etc. I doubt they know what a bar is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write