The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-17-2010, 04:08 PM

Default rest strokes - crossing strings

I'm looking at some classical exercises to improve my RH fingerstyle technique.
I bought pumping nylon which is great, but want to seek advice on a simple rest stroke exercise. Going from 6 to 1 (bass to treble) using imimim is straightforward, but going from 1 to 6 feels odd because after I've played string 1, with 'i' then 'i' is planted on string 2 (next to be played), I'm now planting, and playing with 'm' while lifting 'i' - is that right??
I can't see a sensible alternative, but it just 'feels' wrong - probably because its all new to me

Any reassurance or correction most welcome.
Paul
Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Much depends on the speed your are going at. Normally I do not move the forearm that much but in this one it will help to draw it up towards you as you do the rest strokes from 1 to 6.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Much depends on the speed your are going at. Normally I do not move the forearm that much but in this one it will help to draw it up towards you as you do the rest strokes from 1 to 6.
Thanks - yes, I wouldn't normally play im accross the strings as it moves the hand too much - but that's what the excersice is asking for ( I think).

It's the way that alternating im with rest stroke puts you in the position of having a perfectly planted 'i', but then playing with 'm' that I find awkward.

Paul.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write