The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Default Time Capsule

Had a storage unit since I divorced in 2005. The company keeps raising the rate so I thought I'd finally deal with it and empty it out. I'd lost the keys so I had a locksmith meet me there to drill out the old lock.

I surveyed what was there. Lot of bench and power tools, Boxes full of guitar/music magazines from the late 70's on. More boxes full of finger style guitar instruction books, some, no doubt, quite rare.

I did grab my fly rods. A 9' 4-piece 5/6wt Diamondback and a 2-piece 7' 3/4wt Diamondback. The 7' still had a price tag of $410 on the aluminum tube, didn't think I paid that much in the 90's for it but maybe so.

Grabbed the Sharpe bamboo rod I got as a Christmas gift in my mid-teens. Its an 8 1/2' 2-piece with two tips, 5/6wt made in Scotland if I recall correctly.

Also grabbed a large Plano box with my reels, spools and flies I had tied.

Nice seeing some of this stuff again. I'll have to deal with the rest over the next week or so and will no doubt find more forgotten treasures. Might post some photos when I get a chance.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:16 AM

Better get your stuff before we see it on Storage Wars!
Old 07-23-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Better get your stuff before we see it on Storage Wars!
LOL. I'd watch an episode with HHP in it .
Old 07-23-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
LOL. I'd watch an episode with HHP in it .
Not much chance. I pay my bill which is why I want out ASAP. When I think how much I've paid for storage versus the value of what was stored, I feel like a nincompoop.

There is some sentimental stuff but not exactly the crown jewels.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:18 PM

A different kind of time capsule here:

We have been renovating our 101 year old house for the past 10 years, or so. While doing so we haven't found much, only a buffalo head nickel and three pennies, along with a chisel with a broken wood handle that was inside our built-in window seat in the dining room from one of the guys who built the house. During all of the work, mostly gut renovations, we've placed various items in the walls, ceilings, newel posts, etc. for future owners to, possibly, discover. There are also witty writings on the studs and blocking in English and Chinese, and some business cards thumbtacked to the framing.

Some of the items hidden away are magazines, newspapers, old and current photographs, a mouse (Apple, in this case), and music store catalogs; we were very careful to not leave any money, although, on one wall is a big notice I made that says "The money is here!" with a big arrow pointing downwards.

Inside the fireplace surround we put a set each of electric bass and guitar strings, a newspaper, and an old clarinet!!! Much better than what we found while preparing the fireplace for its new mantel - a green playing marble, a single drum stick, and six, long dead, birds.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
we were very careful to not leave any money,
Why?

When I was in the demolition business in the early 80's a fellow worker found a very old coin in a very old building we were tearing down in lake Charles. It wasn't American, but I never got a good look at it. Looked silver from a distance.

I put a cd in a wall in this old house, it's now been almost 20 years.

I put a book of matches in an attic in Arizona that advertised the "new" 1977 Oldsmobile Toronado.

I think old coins would be the perfect thing to put in an old house.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-24-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Not much chance. I pay my bill which is why I want out ASAP. When I think how much I've paid for storage versus the value of what was stored, I feel like a nincompoop.

There is some sentimental stuff but not exactly the crown jewels.
13 years to have a storage unit adds up in $ I imagine. How large is it?
Old 07-24-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
13 years to have a storage unit adds up in $ I imagine. How large is it?
Probably about 10 x 10. Probably try to sell off the music magazines and instruction books. Gotta be 10 boxes of those. May send an inquiry to Elderly to see if they are interested.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Probably about 10 x 10. Probably try to sell off the music magazines and instruction books. Gotta be 10 boxes of those. May send an inquiry to Elderly to see if they are interested.
Good luck, no one wants printed books, magazines, etc. anymore. It's like trying to sell CDs. It's a sharing world now.....

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Good luck, no one wants printed books, magazines, etc. anymore. It's like trying to sell CDs. It's a sharing world now.....
Wouldn't bet on it. But I'll mention it to the dealers who have contacted me with offers for several books I have. Have quite a few half speed master LP's and people are always wanting me to sell them those.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:36 AM

All I can say is getting rid of stuff is cathartic and lightens the mental, emotional, and physical loads. You'll feel better and freer without it. Not paying the monthly rent will be appreciated too, I am sure.

I have moved a lot since 2000... each time, I went through stuff and each successive move, I would be holding something that made the cut and came with me when I left the last place, wondering if I really want or need this thing I haven't seen in a long time.

A lot of my decisions and choices at such times are due to my emotional disposition at the time. For example, an old Sports Illustrated with the Pittsburgh Pirates on the cover made the cut through the past dozen moves, and now I am holding it, evaluating its value to me again... And this time, I may let it go... Some of the stuff I got rid of, I occasionally miss and wonder about, but I'm doing alright without it. Some of the stuff I have kept makes me wonder about my sanity.... Why do I keep this stuff in a box in the closet and never look at it except when I am moving again? We humans are funny.

Time capsules are curious and fun, IMHO, but rarely turn up more than emotional and nostalgic treasures. Those can be important, too, but they can also be a weight to carry...
Old 07-25-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Why?

When I was in the demolition business in the early 80's a fellow worker found a very old coin in a very old building we were tearing down in lake Charles. It wasn't American, but I never got a good look at it. Looked silver from a distance.

I put a cd in a wall in this old house, it's now been almost 20 years.

I put a book of matches in an attic in Arizona that advertised the "new" 1977 Oldsmobile Toronado.

I think old coins would be the perfect thing to put in an old house.
When we demo'd our bathroom in 2004 we found a beer bottle (rolling rock i believe) behind the drywall, left by whomever helped build the house in '70s. I put a Bass Ale bottle back in it's place with a note. Still have the found bottle.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
...Have quite a few half speed master LP's and people are always wanting me to sell them those.
The only HSM LP I have is the Mobile Fidelity of Renaissance's Scheherazade...
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
I sent a lot of magazines (decades worth of music and auto related) be recycled, recently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic