The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-22-2018, 01:11 AM

Default Emerald vs Sable, unplugged?

Anyone had the chance to play these two head-to-head? I like the acoustic sound of my Sable enough that I almost never pick up my wood guitars, but there's still that carbon twang. Wondering if my world would change if I had an Emerald instead.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
Anyone had the chance to play these two head-to-head? I like the acoustic sound of my Sable enough that I almost never pick up my wood guitars, but there's still that carbon twang. Wondering if my world would change if I had an Emerald instead.
I have an Emerald X20 and was wanting to ask the same question you had but re the Sable. If the Sable didn't do it to you then it is the same to me with the Emerald. As wonderful as it is, the Emerald still has that carbon twang.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 06-22-2018, 05:35 AM

I just happen to have both around here some where for some reason. Both are most excellent sounding and playable. Maybe change the saddle and or brand of strings. I get that twang on all of mine ... the Sable and X-20 do have the least of said sound as far as my crappy ears can tell..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Default Emerald vs Sable, unplugged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Maybe change the saddle and or brand of strings. I get that twang on all of mine ... the Sable and X-20 do have the least of said sound as far as my crappy ears can tell..

I heard a rumor that D’Addario is working on a guitar ear accessory to fix “crappy ears” syndrome

I really like my Emerald and Rainsong but still prefer the tone of my wood guitars. Both of the CF’s have their original bridge saddles and pins. I’ve tried different strings but no luck with the tone. Any recommendations for bridge saddles?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-23-2018, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
If you're looking to go twangless, try one of the CAs. I have the GX and it's no-twang smooth and mellow.

Kramster is very right about the strings and saddles... worth some experimenting.

If you're looking for saddles that can make a tonal difference you might want to contact this person...

http://www.obbligatoinc.com/home.html
Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post

Kramster is very right

Wait...wha?? Unc Evy better be reading this as maybe my life has meaning now...finally... and he should oughta be somewhat proud.
And yes my CA OX has less of the twang thang then some others.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Guest 928

Neph Kram;

I am reading this, pleased that your life finally has meaning, and I am proud of you! Twang away!!
Old 06-23-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Wait...wha?? Unc Evy better be reading this as maybe my life has meaning now...finally... and he should oughta be somewhat proud.
And yes my CA OX has less of the twang thang then some others.
I just read your statement to Slick. Boy is he humming! He really is twangless.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Can anyone define this carbon twang? I'm very interested in a CF guitar for tours/travelling, but want to know any downsides. Is it anything like piezo quack?

(The only CF guitar I've played so far was a fan fret model at a folk conference, and the tone seemed a bit dead - tho that may have been the strings after days and nights of jamming.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Can anyone define this carbon twang? I'm very interested in a CF guitar for tours/travelling, but want to know any downsides. Is it anything like piezo quack?
I was wondering about that also? Maybe my CA is missing something or I need new ears too.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 PM

Youtube has a bunch of videos of people comparing CF and wood guitars. Best I can describe it in words is a little of the tin can sound. Sable balances that out with a lot of depth and richness but it's still in there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber