The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM

I'm a bigger fan of Pete Huttlinger version of this wonderful song.

https://youtu.be/wLVWwBPX1cc
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-14-2018, 03:04 PM

That's the same arrangement being taught on sixstringcountry.com
and it is really nice.

I've never been on the site until looking for this so apparently it's not necessarily just country. A pretty good lesson none the less.

Dan
Old 01-14-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Ritardando is not a technique to be learned but is a feeling you have that you wish to express.
Good that the relative volume of melody versus harmony was stressed.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 PM

It's a beautiful song. Kinda the "Wagon Wheel" of the 60's.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:49 AM

This is one of my favorite songs and I have seen Ed play this a couple of times. I have been playing this for 2 years now and happy with the result. The Arpeggio rolls are difficult and there are many...still working on the technique in all of my music. Eds comment of maintaining the beauty of this song is to "Hang on to each note as long as you can".
Old 01-15-2018, 01:30 PM

I've seen a few videos where people have overdone the ritardando and leave pauses that are just that little bit too long, which can really kill the flow. Tis a very fine line indeed!

Arpeggio rolls! That's what they are (seems so obvious now!), and what I was originally wrongly referring to as ritardando, and which, with hindsight, had me attempting arpeggio rolls ritardando - which was probably why I was finding them so difficult! [emoji4]
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Default Peghead nation Gerhardt

I've been going through the Peghead Nation version linked earlier, with Ed describing his process, and find it fantastic to take his first section where he plays the melody on a single string and just improvise my own accompanying bass strings in standard tuning to create a similar tone and feeling.

I highly recommend giving that a try, as I found trying to duplicate his method exactly difficult, this was simple and highly rewarding.

I just meander along and keep trying different fret positions in the basic chord structure to get the feeling I'm looking to recreate.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:54 PM

Default The Water is Wide technique tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
I’ve wanted to learn Ed Gerhard’s beautiful interpretation of The Water is Wide for some time but, with one thing and another, never got round to it. Anyway, I’ve decided to give it a go, have all the music/tab and the track loaded into Anytune on my iPad and am all set...

The first thing I’ve noticed is that this is one of those deceptively difficult tunes to play with anything even remotely close to the feeling Ed Gerard does and that it’s going to take some backtracking etc., which is fine as I love a challenge.

This video is really brilliant and helpful:

https://youtu.be/eYxdTh25bEg

...but there’s still one or two techniques I’m going to need to brush up on, for example the ‘ritardo’ he places throughout the tune.

It seems that those with a classical background (like EG himself) would already have these techniques in their vocabulary but this is not my background, or even how I have played previously, so any tips greatly appreciated.

Hi , I personally love this tune and I play it during communion at our local church quite often . One thing I did was to listen to James Taylor's version and to listen to the vocal phrasing . This helped a lot , my version is not note for note but I try to bring the beautiful melody to the front . The video is totally brilliant with great advice emotion and masterful playing .
Enjoy
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

Last edited by 51 Relic; 01-15-2018 at 02:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write