The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-03-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I decided to keep the Eon One. I like the sound for bigger rooms and it will cost way more to replace it in the future that what I'll get on the used market. I happen to think the reverb is fine. The Mackie effects are fine too. Not good enough for studio work, but fine to sing songs for people in a restaurant or bar - especially if they have been drinking.
I think you made a great choice to keep it! Especially if you got a deal on it. From what I have read, the JBL system seems to be the "best" of the under $1000 Line Arrays.

But to clarify, did you think it was too large or too much bass for smaller lower volume situations?

Which may reinforce my decision on Maui 5.. Hope it may be more suitable unit for smaller rooms or more intimate volume levels.

From a Maui 5 Review--
An automatic multi-band EQ processes the entire frequency range and optimizes the system sound. An automatic compressor is activated to increase the bass at lower volumes and create a more powerful sound. As the volume increases, the bass boost automatically reduces.

The DSP is also responsible for the crossovers. It assigns the audio signal to the appropriate speakers. The amplitude and run-time optimization of the crossovers also ensure that all frequencies are evenly emitted and reach listeners at the same time. This worked extremely well when we tested the LD Systems MAUI 5.

BTW, I will get to un-box and finally audition my new Maui 5 later today!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post

I think you made a great choice to keep it! Especially if you got a deal on it. From what I have read, the JBL system seems to be the "best" of the under $1000 Line Arrays.

But to clarify, did you think it was too large or too much bass for smaller lower volume situations?

Which may reinforce my decision on Maui 5.. Hope it may be more suitable unit for smaller rooms or more intimate volume levels.

From a Maui 5 Review--

An automatic multi-band EQ processes the entire frequency range and optimizes the system sound. An automatic compressor is activated to increase the bass at lower volumes and create a more powerful sound. As the volume increases, the bass boost automatically reduces.

The DSP is also responsible for the crossovers. It assigns the audio signal to the appropriate speakers. The amplitude and run-time optimization of the crossovers also ensure that all frequencies are evenly emitted and reach listeners at the same time. This worked extremely well when we tested the LD Systems MAUI 5.

BTW, I will get to un-box and finally audition my new Maui 5 later today!

Very exciting! Let us know how it goes!

The JBL does not seem to have a sub control. Basically, my situation is that I play small rooms. So, at times it can be a bit boomy. However, EQ can solve most of that. Ultimately, I figure it's better to have the extra horse power. Oddly enough, I just landed a larger gig that might require the JBL and my TouchMix.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM

Getting ready to try the new Maui in a pretty big room.

Definitely don't need effects in here! It's pretty bouncy.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 07-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Play on Brother...Looks Cool!
Old 07-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Maui 11 G2? Fantastic
Let us know how it went. All the best!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:09 PM

New Maui 5 in the house!

Old 07-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
New Maui 5 in the house!

Very nice!!!
Old 07-03-2017, 02:15 PM

Have you already tested it, JakeStone? How did it perform?
Old 07-03-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
Have you already tested it, JakeStone? How did it perform?
Yes .. Spent a little time with it and so far Very impressed!
Old 07-03-2017, 06:20 PM

Did the gig today with the Maui 11. Worked very well! I was happy with it.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 07-04-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
Getting ready to try the new Maui in a pretty big room.

Definitely don't need effects in here! It's pretty bouncy.

Very cool set-up. Where did you get that stool?
Old 07-04-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Very cool set-up. Where did you get that stool?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...Fci4wAodk-YJYQ

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 07-04-2017, 08:06 AM

LD Systems Maui 5

This mini review is from my home office/studio perspective. Not a live show. The room is approx 24 x 20 with a 12 foot ceiling.

First impression.. VERY nice (maybe even a mild Wow). The sound quality is not overly 'colored' .. My Gibson J-45 maintained it's natural sound. Full and even, deep bass and NO sizzle on the highs.

I A/B'd it against my Marshall AS50D. The M5 is WAY more natural sounding than the acoustic amp. Which has a brighter, or perhaps what I'd call a metallic tone when compared. The M5 is very pleasing and balanced at low to medium volumes.

I also, experimented with the 3 piece columns (1 speaker array and 2 spacers). I think it's safe to say that I liked it (in my room) best with 1 spacer (medium height). But I presume the full extended height would be best for large areas and high volume. Getting the array to project above my head to audience (plus not blasting my ears).

Today I am going to work a little more on vocals through it.... Getting the right mix is going to require a little more work. It is definitely more "sound" and separation coming from this compared to a traditional powered speaker or amp. So getting the right mix of guitars and vocals to my ears seems to be a little more work ... if that makes sense. Again could be due to the room and reflections off walls etc.

Oh one last thing on connections and control, knobs.... Although this thing is plastic. It feels very tight and sturdy. Connections are solid. Controls have a nice feel to them (not wobbly). In addition, there are volume knobs for the various inputs and most important separate vol control for Subwofer and Highs.

That's it for now!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Maui 5 LECC and DSP

The Limiter function protects the speakers and prevents distortions caused by overload. Separate limiters for the bass, midrange and high range attenuate the signal when the level exceeds a value which could have a negative effect.

Each limiter is optimised for one of the three seamlessly contiguous frequency ranges (multi-band limiter). The system can be operated in this manner with a higher overall sound pressure as extreme peaks are automatically lowered, so that the total volume does not need to be reduced.

The Multiband EQ works over the entire frequency range and optimises the overall sound of the system.

The Compressor is switched on automatically to raise the bass response and create a punchier sound. When the volume is increased, the bass boost is automatically reduced. The automatically controlled bass blend perfectly to overall sound.

The Crossovers divide the audio signal according to the frequency range of the respective speakers, namely the subwoofer or the mids and tweeters of the array column. The amplitude and running-time optimisation of the crossover ensures that all frequencies are output evenly and reach the listener at the same time.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the review sir! Hoping to see if there's a recording of it soon! I'm considering whether or not to get the new battery powered Maui 5 vs JBL's Eon One Pro depending on which sounds nicer!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification