The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-27-2017, 08:05 AM

Default Line Array PA ~ Harbinger MLS800 vs LD Systems Maui 5

Writing this to help others that are looking for similar low end solution... Also to help me decide which one is "right" choice for me.

I've been researching the low priced Line Array PA choices... Narrowed down to 2 models. Both available at this time on sale for $599 or maybe lower should GC or MF allow use of 15% July 4th coupon ..

My situation is that I am wanting to check out one of these arrays ... My days of band gigging are over. But now as a Solo Guitar player and singer .. I am hoping to enhance my sound .. while getting a lightweight and simpler set up. My rehearsal/studio space is on 3rd floor (2 flights of stairs) so portability is important.. AS for sound and volume...I'm using this for rehearsal (room is about 25ft x 20ft) and occasional gigs, backyard jams, throughout the year. Bonus to me (and wife) is that I can also use it my living room as home music system. So all in all, Porta - sound system with variety of uses.

OK.. So 2 reasonable priced Line Arrays available to me are the following.

Harbinger MLS800 - The brand is known for low cost audio gear and sold pretty much exclusively at GC stores. However, from what I can tell, the quality is fairly decent and comes with a 2 year warranty.

This MLS800 Line Array came out several months ago (early 2017) so not too many reviews, but the ones I have read on GC, Amazon and MF are all pretty positive. Nothing really bad. In addition, I have read a couple user reviews here on AGF. I think for most part they sound quality is on par with the other low cost Line Arrays. But from my experience, off name brands usually cut corners someplace... Perhaps not using the "finest" quality components. So the long term usability is in question... How will it hold up is unknown.
List Price is $799 and is currently on-sale for $599 at GC and MF.

Features
INPUTS
2 XLR/1/4" Combo

1 Mini 1/8" Stereo
1 Stereo RCA
1 Bluetooth
3 Volume controls (note: Mini/RCA/Bluetooth Share 1 Vol knob)

- 1 output (XLR/1/4" Combo)
- 120W RMS Bi-Amp (240 total RMS) 800 Peak total
- 2 Band EQ
- 1 - 8" Woofer with 1.5" Voice Coil
- 6 - 2.75" Drivers (Mid and Highs)
- Line array has 2 Columns and Carry bag.
- Weight - 39 lbs Total / Sub is 28 lbs - Columns are 11 lbs

---------------------

LD Systems Maui 5 - This brand seems like a step up from Harbinger in terms of quality. There are many reviews and articles around to read. Reviews appear to be excellent. I believe from research that they make a quality product and zero complaints regarding sound quality.

The Maui 5 has been out for over a year. Which is a plus in terms of not seeing any quality or issues among the forums. Also I see they are coming out with a "Go" version soon. Basically the same exact thing as Maui 5 with a rechargeable battery. (which I think is housed in one of the columns. What this tells me is they are committed to the product and I don't foresee a replacement (upgrade) out too soon. Maui 5 is priced at $599 at GC, MF and Sam Ash and other stores. (Not sure about Warranty )

Features
Inputs
1 XLR
1 HI-Z (1/4") Guitar
1 Mini Stereo Jack
1 Bluetooth
2 Aux XLR Inputs (L mono and R).

NOTE: Guitar and Mini Aux input share same Volume control.
BT gets it's own volume control.
No XLR Out,

- 200W RMS / 800 Peak total
- 2 Band EQ
- 1 - 8" Woofer
- 6 - 2.75" Drivers (SatMid and Highs)
- Line array has 3 Columns and Carry bag.
- 2 Band EQ (Sub Level and High Boost)

- 1 - 8" Woofer with 2" Voice Coil
- 4 - 3" Drivers (mid and highs) with 3 separate columns
- Weight is approx 24 lbs total
(carry cases are optional)
-------------------------------

Conclusion so far............

The LD Systems Maui is probably a safer bet... Brand is well known, especially internationally. Seems to be high quality with good sound reviews. It is lighter weight than the H'binger. It seems to be slightly different I/O feature set... But does have 2 aux inputs on back so other instruments such as a keyboard or mixer can be added easy.

The Harbinger MLS800 could be a crap shoot ... Although Harbinger seems to have stepped up their game. I am not sure of the durability down the road. Not sure of the sound differences between the 2 ,, Since there is no way to A/B them in store (Harbinger is in stock and Maui 5 is online order only) .... On the other hand, The MLS800 has more in the way of inputs and controls, plus it has an XLR output, more speakers and more power, comes with a carry bag for the columns ...

But either one of these should suffice for Solo Player like myself..
---------------------

Bottom line...... Nice systems for not a huge amount of $.

Please feel free to add thoughts, comments etc

Peace out.
Jake

Last edited by JakeStone; 06-28-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:17 PM

I just ordered the Maui 11 G2 system. Should get it later this week. I did a lot of research and the reviews on the LD Systems has been consistently good.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
JBL EON ONE Compact
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 06-27-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
I just ordered the Maui 11 G2 system. Should get it later this week. I did a lot of research and the reviews on the LD Systems has been consistently good.
Cool.. I agree... the reviews on the Maui products have been overall very positive.

Congrats on your purchase!

I actually just got back from GC and scored the Maui 5... If my order ships today, I should have it by the weekend.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Got the Maui 11 G2 today. Sounds very good in my living room. I'm plugged straight in with no mixer.

Anxious to try it out on a gig.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
JBL EON ONE Compact
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 06-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Good news guys! Glad to hear that you got something that is going to work for you. I scored the refurbished Mackie Reach in this price range. The JBL Eon One with the 10" woofer was overpowering the places I played.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
[B]
Writing this to help others that are looking for similar low end solution...
In the spirit of this post:

With Fishman replacing their SA220 for the SA330, there are lots of bargains to be found on the SA220. I just googled ebay and came up with this. If you read all the way down, the guy used it twice and it is in as new condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishman-Solo...gAAOSwz71ZTiaw

For $500, you get 2 separate channels with individual controls for each, 4 different reverbs, hi-mid-low eq, phase revers switch, sweepable anti-feedback, and phantom power.

You also get a cool carrying case that it all fits neatly into AND it rolls.

So, if I were looking for a inexpensive yet feature packed line array, and i would be if my trusty SA220 gave out, I would be looking at this.

Steve
Old 06-30-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Good news guys! Glad to hear that you got something that is going to work for you. I scored the refurbished Mackie Reach in this price range. The JBL Eon One with the 10" woofer was overpowering the places I played.
How much have you paid for the Mackie?

Last edited by Pecx; 07-01-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Yep.. there are many choices out there.

Tough to know what's best...until you actually try different gear in real situations.

Not always easy to strike a balance ...relatively low cost, something that can work in variety of rooms.. plus work in my home or rehearsal space too.. without being over powering.

Seems like the Reach is a contender... Plus it has the effects that many Speaker systems do not have .. plus BT.

Perhaps it is more "versitle" than the small line arrays? Like the little Maui I just got.

My Maui 5 arrived .. but I won't be able to unbox it until tomorrow. I'm excited to see how it performs..sounds.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:00 AM

I think Maui 5 will be awesome for you. The Reach and FreePlay have preamp issues to solve. I solved them for my FreePlay, so this was an easy way to add 2 extra mics without being a mixer. Enjoy that Maui!! The 10 inch sub offer in my JBL was too much for small rooms because it had no individual sub control. The sub in the Maui is only an 8 inch and has some control if I recall.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I think Maui 5 will be awesome for you. The Reach and FreePlay have preamp issues to solve. I solved them for my FreePlay, so this was an easy way to add 2 extra mics without being a mixer. Enjoy that Maui!! The 10 inch sub offer in my JBL was too much for small rooms because it had no individual sub control. The sub in the Maui is only an 8 inch and has some control if I recall.
Cool.. Maui 5 should be nice setup for solo performance..

But still require an effects unit...

Where the Fishman or Mackie Reach is self contained.

Everything has its compromises..
Old 07-01-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Truer words were never spoken.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Don't count on the effects of the Reach. The reverb is so bad... Unless you're going to use a mixer, don't go for it.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:43 AM

Here's a pretty indepth review on the Maui 5 ...

http://blog.adamhall.com/en/2016/03/...y-tools4music/
Old 07-02-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:

I was looking at the JBL Eon One in part because of the reverb. But then I started thinking that maybe I really don't need effects. Often when I play, I back them off to next to nothing anyway to get a clearer punchier sound. So I bought the Maui 11 hoping I can be content just going straight in with no effects. If I do decide I need effects, I can still insert my A&E Zed 10fx board.

I tried it at home yesterday and was very pleased with the sound dry. I'll be trying it on a gig next week.

Another option would be to replace my TCHelicon H1 with a TC Harmony Singer which has reverb.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
JBL EON ONE Compact
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 07-02-2017, 08:29 AM

I decided to keep the Eon One. I like the sound for bigger rooms and it will cost way more to replace it in the future that what I'll get on the used market. I happen to think the reverb is fine. The Mackie effects are fine too. Not good enough for studio work, but fine to sing songs for people in a restaurant or bar - especially if they have been drinking.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-02-2017 at 12:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification