The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Default advice on repairing nails?

My thumb nail just split right along the playing edge pretty far down, it looks like it would take forever to grow back... This is the first time I've had a nail split so I'm pretty clueless and kind of panicking. I could use a thumb pick, but it's really awkward on ukulele so having some nail is important for me, although Brittni Paiva pulls off some superb stuff with a thumb pick...

For now I glued it down with some nail glue I have, but it doesn't seem like it will last very long. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 AM

You must have really strong nails if this isn't an issue for you. Mine break just getting dressed in the morning, so I've been using a thumb pick for years and am totally addicted as I love moving from picking to strumming and back!!

I once used superglue, I think for my wedding (I'm thinking nail glue is just overpriced superglue, anyway). Other than that I just have to keep them fairly short. I would advise getting used to a thumb pick, though. Then you aren't dependent on having an unbroken thumb nail.

My (old) tunes
Old 02-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

update-
After laughing for what felt like an hour, my friend said that she usually glues a bit of a tea bag over the break. It seems to be holding up pretty well so far, and is almost invisible! I had to file down the ramp I had though

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write