The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 PM

Default Sanding fingertips....kinda

Don't know if anyone else does this but since I work construction my hands and fingertips get quite rough. I notice a big difference if I play with un-sanded fingertips (mainly right hand) I can hear my "fingerprint" as I play. I use a medium abrasion emery board and smooth out my fingertips and it not only makes the playability a lot easier but there is no unwanted noise from it, and I've not noticed any loss of tone. I've even used superglue and sanded it down, actually works pretty well. Note: I use superglue when my fingertips get cracked at work, thought I would try it out and worked pretty well.

Anyone else????
Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Me too

Yeah, I sand mine down too. I like to use mini sanding discs on my micromotor (I'm a jewellery pattern maker) it's much faster Actually I only do my fretting hand as I play with a pick 90% of the time. I've gotten carried away a couple of times and ended up polishing them to a nice gloss ! I found it all got a bit slippery while playing though, the shine doesn't last long either . I think regular sanding helps build up the hard skin for sure.

Bong.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster
Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM

Glossy fingertips

I figure people who play with their fingernails take care of them, shouldn't people who play with just fingertips?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm pretty fussy about the nails on my right hand, but my fingertips rarely touch the strings, and only lightly. My fingertips on my LEFT hand take a beating (I play bass guitar and upright, and acoustic guitar) and I keep them in shape by touching them up with an emery board when they get too rough.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Yes, need to smooth out those left fingertips every now and then. I keep the nails of my right hand in good shape--since I rarely use a pick. Most of the time, unless you were watching me play you wouldn't be able to tell I don't use a pick. It just lets me mix it up better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write