The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 03:28 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Default Best strings to buy in bulk?

Or inversely, any strings to avoid buying in bulk?

I did a cursory forum search and didn't find this specific topic. I've always bought strings in packs (but usually in multiples)... and now I'm thinking it would make more sense to just buy a case of strings in bulk and use 'em as I need 'em. I ran across some Martin 92/8 light strings for $75 for 25 sets, which seems like a decent deal, but some feedback indicated that the quality wasn't very good (high e often breaking was a recurring comment).

Anyone have a go-to bulk string model that they prefer above others, or any that you'd recommend staying away from?

I have no specific string preference (never have). I play whatever as long it sounds decent.

I have a 000 and a bunch of dreads...
Old 04-11-2024, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-11-2024, 03:56 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Thanks, man. I went ahead and just bought a 10 pack because there is no price break for buying the 25 set bulk box... It's $5.40/set if you buy 10, and $5.40/set if you buy the 25 set box...

I may do an a/b test on a few different varieties to see if there is one I prefer over the other(s)... something I've never done in the past...
Old 04-11-2024, 04:08 PM

For many years, I bought my strings in dozen sets.
By the time that I was down to the last 3 or 4 sets, the strings were showing signs of humidity and tarnish.
That lead me to buying coated/treated strings when I purchase in bulk.

Unless you get the 25 pack from either Martin or D'Addario, you don't save much on treated bulk sets.

There is another discussion here about protection the bulk strings while being stored.
Keeping them dry is critical!
Old 04-11-2024, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
For many years, I bought my strings in dozen sets.
By the time that I was down to the last 3 or 4 sets, the strings were showing signs of humidity and tarnish.
That lead me to buying coated/treated strings when I purchase in bulk.

Unless you get the 25 pack from either Martin or D'Addario, you don't save much on treated bulk sets.

There is another discussion here about protection the bulk strings while being stored.
Keeping them dry is critical!
Yup, that’s my thread! I bought the 25 set pack of Daddario XS lights from Musiicians Friend, and will report back. I’m planning on bagging up individual sets with desiccant packs. The price with current sales was too good to pass up.

Some people say Daddarios packaging for these is a total pain, as the strings have to extracted individually, but there are only three different colors of ball ends, so it’s hard to tell which string you’ve got.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:24 PM

Since my octave mando used doubled .044", .032", .022", and .011" strings I used to buy them in bulk 12 packs from Musician's friend. Each new change of 8 strings was about $4, so it was very economical. I don't think they sell bulk PBs any longer, so that's a factor...
Old 04-11-2024, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Avoid any strings in "traditional" paper envelopes (John Pearce for example) for a bulk buy. In fact, I avoid them in single packets here in Wales because they often arrive tarnished!

I used to bulk buy individual gauges in tubes when I was churning through 30+ sets a month. But now I have only one spare set of strings in the house at a time (vapour sealed).

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-12-2024, 02:32 AM

Default Dont do it, unless ...

I usually use D'addario XTs 12s. Bought a box of 25 at an extremely competitive price (about half price). Now, I'm about halfway through, but wouldn't do that again for the following -

(a) 'usually' isn't 'always'; I like to change sometimes (Newtones and others) and it annoys me that I have so many of one type.
(b) the packing (all loose inside a big box - and extracting them singly) annoys me. Whilst they are colour coded, the differences aren't always easy to see when they are all bunched together (might just be my eyes). Sometimes two come out when you only pull one .... and you can't get the other one back in the bleedin' box!!! (phew, that was emotional)
(c) .. it's boring
(d) I was stupid - I thought they would come in 25 packs, so I could flog a few packs ... that'll teach me to try and mess with the Man.

Just sayin' ...

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM

I like the Martin Originals 80/20 strings. They often go on sale for less than $4 a set in 6 or 12-packs. Right now the medium gauge is $20 at Musician's Friend for a 6-pack.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:06 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

My 10 pack of D'Addario PB Custom Lights (11-52) was delivered today. Looks like I'll be restringing a bunch of guitars this weekend!

I'm still thinking I should a/b sample some other strings...
Old 04-12-2024, 10:22 AM

Default Don't understand the question.

Wouldn't the strings that you like best be the best strings for you to buy in bulk?
Old 04-12-2024, 10:32 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Wouldn't the strings that you like best be the best strings for you to buy in bulk?
Two points:

First, I don't have 'strings I like best' as I've never cared enough to a/b test different strings. I've bought strings and replaced strings and not ever given it much thought. I probably should, but up till now, to me, a string is a string...

Second, I read some online reviews about a bulk string offering where several people indicated that the quality wasn't good. They weren't saying that the 'normal' string sets weren't good. They were specifically saying that the strings in the bulk pack (just a box of strings) wasn't very good.

That second point is why I made the original post.

But, yes, logically if you have a preferred string then that is likely what you'd want to buy in bulk.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Yep. Knowing that a guitar will sound different with different strings, to me, means they will sound (and feel) "best" (different for each person) with specific strings. Consequently, I evaluate every guitar with 4-6 sets of different strings until I determine which ones sound "best" today, which might change in 2 years. That's why buying bulk, for me, won't work as, 1) I would have to have different bulk strings for several different guitars; 2) strings just don't cost enough to worry about storing them. Not to mention that some strings just won't hold up for 5-10 years while stored.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Two points:

First, I don't have 'strings I like best' as I've never cared enough to a/b test different strings. I've bought strings and replaced strings and not ever given it much thought. I probably should, but up till now, to me, a string is a string...

Second, I read some online reviews about a bulk string offering where several people indicated that the quality wasn't good. They weren't saying that the 'normal' string sets weren't good. They were specifically saying that the strings in the bulk pack (just a box of strings) wasn't very good.

That second point is why I made the original post.

But, yes, logically if you have a preferred string then that is likely what you'd want to buy in bulk.
Okay. Well, you're probably mostly going to get replies from people recommending the strings they like best.

That said, get a bunch of mediums from a reputable source. Preferably direct from the company that makes them, since there's actually such a thing as counterfeit guitar strings. Seems like it would be a waste of effort, like counterfeiting pennies or something, but there it is. Anyway.

I'll recommend D'Addario, they've been around a long time and are well respected.

https://www.daddario.com/bulk-guitar-strings/

Last edited by frankmcr; 04-12-2024 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
My 10 pack of D'Addario PB Custom Lights (11-52) was delivered today. Looks like I'll be restringing a bunch of guitars this weekend!

I'm still thinking I should a/b sample some other strings...
Yeah, I just got a 10 pack of D’addario PB lights EJ16 for $50.00/shipped and thought it was a pretty good deal ($5.00 a set).
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion