The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-17-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
My simple shellacking doesn’t really do justice to how curly this set is. It’s going to pop under finish. Steve says that Mesquite is extremely stable.

Mesquite

Thanks Ryan, that is really pretty. You guys have not done a mesquite guitar yet right? That might be something to consider for an all Texas guitar...Mesquite back and sides, Black Walnut binding (and neck?), Desert Ironwood (I think that grows in Tx) fretboard, but what could the top be? Loblolly pine???
Old 09-17-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Yes, that's the one. Who knows? It still might fit into your stable...
And as you know, so it has! And a very nice fit it is.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
And as you know, so it has! And a very nice fit it is.
Still glad you like it, Vance!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-17-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
In the same Order but not the same family. It's as close to beech as birch or walnut (all are in the same order). Interestingly, in looking this up, it appears that oak and chestnut are closer to beech, and in the same family (Fagaceae). I had no idea!

Beautiful wood picts!
It doesn't really look like a beech, does it? Some honky named Cunningham went on an adventure to a faraway place, saw this tree, and said "that looks like a beech, I shall name it thus!"
Old 09-17-2020, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thanks Ryan, that is really pretty. You guys have not done a mesquite guitar yet right? That might be something to consider for an all Texas guitar...Mesquite back and sides, Black Walnut binding (and neck?), Desert Ironwood (I think that grows in Tx) fretboard, but what could the top be? Loblolly pine???
That Mesquite really looks amazing. Someone is going to be very happy.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey I’ve got the sister set to that. Maybe use a Texas Ebony fingerboard (another kind of mesquite) and red cedar for a top If you can find some without knots.. All Texas guitar.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Like John said, if you could find some clear enough Eastern Red Cedar (which is usually pretty knotty), then that could work and the bonus of no moths. Cypress, of which we have several sets, would probably be one of the better top choices. Pine, walnut, sycamore could all be used, but would not really be optimal.

Texas Ebony is great for binding, fretboard and bridge. We have used it plenty. I’m not sure desert ironwood makes it as far as west Texas. Just about anything can be used for necks. Top bracing may be the biggest challenge.

An all Texas guitar. Now that sounds fun.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-17-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Like John said, if you could find some clear enough Eastern Red Cedar (which is usually pretty knotty), then that could work and the bonus of no moths. Cypress, of which we have several sets, would probably be one of the better top choices. Pine, walnut, sycamore could all be used, but would not really be optimal.

Texas Ebony is great for binding, fretboard and bridge. We have used it plenty. I’m not sure desert ironwood makes it as far as west Texas. Just about anything can be used for necks. Top bracing may be the biggest challenge.

Didn't we talk about this once or twice??? I predict someone will order an all texas guitar from you guys one of these days!
Old 09-17-2020, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
It doesn't really look like a beech, does it? Some honky named Cunningham went on an adventure to a faraway place, saw this tree, and said "that looks like a beech, I shall name it thus!"
Ha. No doubt!!!
Old 09-18-2020, 08:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

I saw a guitar made entirely of red cedar, top, back, sides, the works. I think even the neck as well. It was knot free and the red and white grain looked amazing. At first glance I thought it was pink ivory. It sounded very good.

Red cedar is very resonant. My only concern Is that it's a little fragile but its stiff so judicious bracing (not loblolly, maybe white pine) would do the trick.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Tom for the request and everyone else for the interest in Mesquite. I’m here all week if anyone has other requests.

Finishing up our Australian woods week, here’s a wood that was once known as Swan River Mahogany but is actually a type of eucalyptus. It does a pretty good job masquerading as waterfall Bubinga.

Jarrah

Old 09-19-2020, 07:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Royal Macassar Ebony

Old 09-19-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Royal Macassar Ebony
This is insanely beautiful!
Old 09-22-2020, 07:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
This is insanely beautiful!
Thanks Dan! We have another set that has even more landscaping in it that we started to make for our good friend Bob Tucker. It was going to be something that he dreamed up akin to a 14 fret parlor 12 string. It now just sits in the rack calling to me.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

A couple more set of wood for this week. This one should speak for itself.

Curly Koa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop