The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
going back the original "how do I sound like Andy McKee" question, record with mics, and also record a pickup. You can record the pickup on a mono track, so you can actually make good use of that pan control :-) Blend with the mics to taste.

actually what i really want to know is the post-production of a solo acoustic guitar recording, meaning how do you edit the track after the recording phase

I mentioned Antoine Dufour and Andy McKee mostly as a reference to a general style that is opposed to say, Bert Jansch
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Thats of course exactly what my video is about. I tried to show every setting, every tool used. What do you want to know that I left out?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Thats of course exactly what my video is about. I tried to show every setting, every tool used. What do you want to know that I left out?
i'll jump in and ask a question. how did you get rid of chair noise?

also, any comments on reducing breath sounds. i tried recording something today and it was a little breathy (but not in a good way).
Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post

also, any comments on reducing breath sounds. i tried recording something today and it was a little breathy (but not in a good way).
Don't get these noises recorded in the first place. Trying to remove them later is highly unsatisfactory.

Unless you want something quite different than the real guitar sound there is not a lot to do post recording if there was a good recording in the first place.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
The video was comprehensive and your explanations were thorough. Just clarifying my question for the other readers

Also, i dont use most of the plug-ins described in your video and when I full-screen it I cant see the parameters as it is rather pixelated. I guess thats secondary anyway since most of it is experimenting anyway, like you mentioned.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I agree with Rick-slo, this more of a tracking question that a mixing issue. Get a chair that doesn't squeak, and practice sitting still when you play. Keep mics away from your mouth, and stay calm and breathe gently. You can hear breathing on a lot of acoustic guitar recordings, but you should be able to minimize it with some practice and mic placement.

If all else fails, there are tools like iZotope RX that can remove noises, and you can always edit in the same spot from an alternate take. Depends on your software how that works, but it's basically cut and paste.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestDreaming View Post
Also, i dont use most of the plug-ins described in your video and when I full-screen it I cant see the parameters as it is rather pixelated. I guess thats secondary anyway since most of it is experimenting anyway, like you mentioned.
If you watch in HD (1080p) and expand to full screen, you should see the same resolution as was on my screen, 1920x1280. It's an exact replica, right down to scale and resolution of my screen. There are thousands of plugins, so yes, you'd have to extrapolate to whatever you have. Same with the DAW. But I'm not doing much that's very fancy here, and for solo fingerstyle guitar, I think that's typical - mixing of a single solo guitar track is pretty straightforward. Most of these effects, and most DAWs are more or less the same as far as controls go. Reverb times, compression thresholds, EQs. There are enough of these plugins that anyone you talk to is likely to use something different. But the concepts are the same.

I'd say "listening" might be a better word than experimenting. That's pretty much the story of the mastering part as well. Listen carefully and try to figure out how to improve anything you don't like. Hopefully, if you've done the tracking part right, there won't be much you don't like, so there's nothing to do but perhaps add a little reverb.

Last edited by Doug Young; 01-26-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

By the way, DD, if you want, I'd be happy to take a crack at mixing a track of yours. We can try to get whatever sound you have in mind, and I can tell you exactly what I did, or better or worse. I did this exercise with redavide a few weeks ago. I enjoy hearing what other people have recorded, and working with different tracks. I always learn something from the process. Send me something, and I'd be glad to take a crack at it, if you have any interest. Just PM me.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Don't get these noises recorded in the first place. Trying to remove them later is highly unsatisfactory.
Quote:
I agree with Rick-slo, this more of a tracking question that a mixing issue. Get a chair that doesn't squeak, and practice sitting still when you play. Keep mics away from your mouth, and stay calm and breathe gently. You can hear breathing on a lot of acoustic guitar recordings, but you should be able to minimize it with some practice and mic placement.

If all else fails, there are tools like iZotope RX that can remove noises, and you can always edit in the same spot from an alternate take. Depends on your software how that works, but it's basically cut and paste.
thanks for the answers. just to clarify, there were two questions. in teoaagr, doug you mentioned that you cleaned up some chair noises. so my first question was just wondering how you did that. i think you answered that with izoptope rx.

the question about breath sounds wasn't clear, but i was looking for pointers on reducing the sounds when recording, not after the fact. i appreciate the tips. i think i'm a noisy breather, and my face and the mic both seem to want to point toward the 12th fret. maybe i can build a little shield for the mic. at any rate, i should start my own thread about this. thanks for the help.

Last edited by mc1; 01-26-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 AM

Doug, that would be very much appreciated! I've sent you a track which i recorded.. to the email that you provided at your profile. The one that is hosted at your site
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:

There's a reason why studios use sturdy metal folding chairs. They don't squeak or creak. I've had players use disposable face masks to remind themselves to breath slowly & quietly.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
maybe i can build a little shield for the mic. at any rate, i should start my own thread about this. thanks for the help.
They do make wind screens for mics, used for vocalists, but I'd try to just work on breathing and mic placement first. Breathing's a tough one, because we have to do it :-) I've blown directly across mics, that pretty much kills the take! I've heard other engineers say the same thing as Rick, keeping a supply of drugstore masks handy.

Noises happen, tho, and RX is a pretty impressive, if not particularly cheap, solution for those occasional things that occur despite best efforts. (Haven't had much luck with it for breathing, tho). My chair doesn't squeak, but you can still get rustling sounds from moving, even your arm moving on the guitar. I've had recordings where I forgot to take my watch off, and you could hear the tick, tick, tick of the second hand. There seems to be no end of noise sources...

Here's a cute example of the hazards of home recording and how RX can help. This was just some test I was doing, nothing that was a keeper, but I ended up keeping it as a memory, since my long time cat, Missy passed away last year. Listen to her at 4 seconds in on the tail of this tune. (Cats, wives, neighbor's cars, airplanes - they always pop up on right on the quiet tail, don't they? :-)

Meow on tail

You can see the meow in RX (selected):

Click the "repair" button and it's gone:

And now check out how the fixed track sounds:

No Meow!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
No Meow!
that was pretty cool. i like the meow, though, it kind of fit. i wonder if missy meowed because: of the harmonic; she could sense the tune was over; coincidence.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
that was pretty cool. i like the meow, though, it kind of fit. i wonder if missy meowed because: of the harmonic; she could sense the tune was over; coincidence.
Yeah, I considered using that clip as the closing of my latest CD, with the meow left in! I assume it was an editorial comment on my playing, or perhaps "Good, you're done, can you shut up so I can sleep now?"
Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM

or "good you're done, i'm about to jump on your lap".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD