The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 08:54 PM

Short of somehow upgrading my DNA or arranging for my parents to have had a piano*, I don't know how I could have changed my trajectory. I've been at it for 65 years, steadily for 60, had a good instrument since 1967 (actually a couple dozen good instruments), taken workshops from first-rate players, and had the good fortune to be brought along by professionals who talked me into playing out and coached me as a performer--after I turned 50. Though I suppose if I could have overcome my stage fright earlier, the playing-out stage would have started earlier--that's where I learned to really make music--with other players.

I've absorbed as much as I could as fast as I could, accepted and worked around my limitations (I will never be a sight-reader or the guy who takes terrific linear solos), and have nevertheless found enormous satisfaction in whatever I've been able to accomplish. What I'd like isn't a do-over but a couple more decades in which to push on a bit farther in decent health--and maybe a miracle cure for aging hands. (I can't play my Michael Dunn Daphne comfortably any more.) Bucky Pizzarelli and Stephane Grappelli are among my heroes for more than their playing.

* I suspect that access to a keyboard would have helped my understanding of musical-theoretical basics even with my primitive notation-reading skills. Chord-spelling and such are pretty obvious on a keyboard. Though a solfeggio approach to the guitar fingerboard would be a partial substitute.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
You can still learn to read music. Search for YouTube videos on reading music. Your you can get lesson book at your local guitar shop. I recommend either The Standard Guitar Method or Mel Bay.

The 1st book of each series will get you through all six strings. They will even at very least get you through 16th notes for rhythm.

Another option is to contact your guitar shop and inquire about regarding learning to read music.
Thank for the advice but the point I was trying to make was _ I wish I could have been taught how to read and count in my 20's by the person I hired to teach me how to play back then instead of teaching myself later when I was in my 40's. I know I would be a better musician today had I gained this knowledge earlier.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
A couple of regrets.....

1. Learn classical style at an early age. The Beatles got me started, but learning guitar the "right way" (in my mind at least) would have made a tremendous difference. (Finger style is much more rewarding for me.)

2. Not buy so many "cheap" guitars. A few came in and went out as trade fodder. Waste of money in hindsight, which of course is 20-20.
I used to learn classical guitar when I was 13. Also was inspired by the Beatles. The advantage is the fingers ready for fingerstyle. . Unfortunately gave up too soon. I would learn musical theory for sure.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

This is a glass half-empty, glass half-full proposition. When I look back, I don't really want to alter the decision tree of my guitar life. I suppose I am a glass half-full kind of guy.

If I were to alter my guitar decision tree:
1. I would probably never have met my lovely wife and best friend.
2. I would never have been given by my wife a couple of guitars that are very dear to me.
3. I would never have played with a band that was offered a job with a major label (and turned it down).
4. I might never have spent the last decade playing guitar in recording sessions.

All of that happened in a life where I never played guitar full-time and didn't tour much at all. I've slept nearly all of my nights in the same bed with the same lovely lady. Though I play some serious sessions under some serious pressure, I still play guitar because I love it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-14-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
This is a glass half-empty, glass half-full proposition. When I look back, I don't really want to alter the decision tree of my guitar life. I suppose I am a glass half-full kind of guy.

If I were to alter my guitar decision tree:
1. I would probably never have met my lovely wife and best friend.
2. I would never have been given by my wife a couple of guitars that are very dear to me.
3. I would never have played with a band that was offered a job with a major label (and turned it down).
4. I might never have spent the last decade playing guitar in recording sessions.

All of that happened in a life where I never played guitar full-time and didn't tour much at all. I've slept nearly all of my nights in the same bed with the same lovely lady. Though I play some serious sessions under some serious pressure, I still play guitar because I love it.

Bob
Bob, I like your perspective. It is important to experience thankfulness. And aspire for it when one finds it hard to experience it presently. I am happy for you. I am curious why your band turned down a major label offer.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:54 AM

Start 20-30 years earlier, and start with a teacher right away.

I had a bad teacher in grade school for music, she would yell and scream at us every class. She scared me away from Music.

I had 2 failed attempts at piano as an adult before switching to guitar. I had 2 teachers for piano that weren't great. So when I switched to guitar I tried to just learn on my own for the first 2 years.

I didn't take any guitar lessons till I got some as a gift.. then I started doing much better at guitar than I ever did at piano, and have really enjoyed it.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:01 AM

Play whole songs with other people.

Everything happens for a reason but I didn't really get into playing seriously until I was in my 40s although I have been a noodler all my life.

My true learning started at the weekly jams.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
Bob, I like your perspective. It is important to experience thankfulness. And aspire for it when one finds it hard to experience it presently. I am happy for you. I am curious why your band turned down a major label offer.
We were all in college. Most of us had a professional goal for their future and only considered music to be a hobby. I was the only one who really wanted to go pro. The vote was five to one against me and it was the best vote I ever lost. A few years later the label went belly up and it was revealed that they had been stiffing their artists for the entire time of their existence.

The incident triggered a time of soul-searching for me that was really productive and important. I looked around myself and realized that I didn't know a single one of my guitar influences who was able to hold together a family. Most were either drug addicts or alcoholics. I wanted a family. The whole addiction thing wasn't in my wheelhouse. As a result, I went into recording engineering instead of working as a guitarist, but have accomplished just about all of my guitar goals over time. Importantly, I am still married to the lovely wife of my youth and I get to wake up in my own bed every morning.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion