The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-05-2024, 04:57 PM

Default UK builders?

Hello - I confess I’m not that knowledgeable about the scene so hoping for some pointers. I’m (more-than-casually) wondering about getting something a builder rather than from a mainstream/factory brand and wondering how feasible it is in my budget. Are there UK builders whose prices start with a 2 or maybe a 3 (rather than a 4 or a 5) ? I may be being unrealistic.

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or pointers.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyO_UK View Post
Hello - I confess I’m not that knowledgeable about the scene so hoping for some pointers. I’m (more-than-casually) wondering about getting something a builder rather than from a mainstream/factory brand and wondering how feasible it is in my budget. Are there UK builders whose prices start with a 2 or maybe a 3 (rather than a 4 or a 5) ? I may be being unrealistic.

Really not sure but I know of some. Can you be more specific as to what you are looking for?
Old 01-05-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I sent you a PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Really not sure but I know of some. Can you be more specific as to what you are looking for?
Sure - I’d like something OM-like in terms of size and balance of sound. I’m looking for a fantastic all-rounder that leans toward fingers but can be picked and strummed with a plectrum (I know this is true if everything but hopefully you know what I’m driving at)

I recently heard about Steve Toon and (all too briefly) played one of his builds in a shop). I played a couple of Brooks - they were smaller bodied models and not quite what I’m after but certainly showed that they build nice guitars.

If anyone has any names of folks I can look in to I’d be very grateful
Old 01-06-2024, 04:37 AM

Quote:

Brook Guitars should be the top of a list. Prices start at £2900.00

https://www.brookguitars.com/guitar-...ns-and-prices/

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 01-06-2024, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure - I’d like something OM-like in terms of size and balance of sound. I’m looking for a fantastic all-rounder that leans toward fingers but can be picked and strummed with a plectrum (I know this is true if everything but hopefully you know what I’m driving at)

I recently heard about Steve Toon and (all too briefly) played one of his builds in a shop). I played a couple of Brooks - they were smaller bodied models and not quite what I’m after but certainly showed that they build nice guitars.

If anyone has any names of folks I can look in to I’d be very grateful
Ok, so pretty standard issue then. Nothing unusual.
You haven't mentioned a specific requirement for scale length (OM means 25.5" ish) or anything different from a rhythm style neck & fretboard.

So many "off the peg choices", but :

Finest builder I know - Richard at Osborneguitars.co.uk but not in your price bracket. (Or build it yourself under his guidance!)

Try Phil at --- https://www.davidsoninstruments.com Also on facebook.

Also David Oddy (or son now) - http://www.oddyluthiers.co.uk/000-14...%20guitars.htm

There are many more but your budget limits you, and for a fairly standard design, I'm thinking a ready made might suit.

hope that helps,
Old 01-06-2024, 07:53 AM

Richard Meyrick. Looks to be making lovely instruments at your price point and design specifications.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Richard Meyrick. Looks to be making lovely instruments at your price point and design specifications.
Thanks - much appreciated
Old 01-06-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Ok, so pretty standard issue then. Nothing unusual.
You haven't mentioned a specific requirement for scale length (OM means 25.5" ish) or anything different from a rhythm style neck & fretboard.

So many "off the peg choices", but :

Finest builder I know - Richard at Osborneguitars.co.uk but not in your price bracket. (Or build it yourself under his guidance!)

Try Phil at --- https://www.davidsoninstruments.com Also on facebook.

Also David Oddy (or son now) - http://www.oddyluthiers.co.uk/000-14...%20guitars.htm

There are many more but your budget limits you, and for a fairly standard design, I'm thinking a ready made might suit.

hope that helps,
Thanks for these - Davidson looks a bit out of budget mind.

You know, I think you make a lot of sense re what’s necessary/realistic at my budget. I realise too that it’s not the ‘custom’ aspect that appeals rather the ‘a person made this by hand’.

Food for thought.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I realise too that it’s not the ‘custom’ aspect that appeals rather the ‘a person made this by hand’.
Indeed, and thats why it costs.

There are many fabulous UK builders but expecting a fine handmade instrument on a tight budget limits your choice; best look for someone just starting out or buy used? Or ex dem perhaps. These people have to feed their families!

Nick Branwell was in that price bracket when I last looked, but that was a little while ago.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-08-2024, 06:11 AM

Indeed - I think I'd just lost touch with just how 'tight' my budget would be - I certainly have no concern about the rightness of fantastic people making a living doing something that we all appreciate.

I'll concentrate on things a little more mainstream - maybe one day in the future for something like this...
Old 01-08-2024, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Indeed - I think I'd just lost touch with just how 'tight' my budget would be - I certainly have no concern about the rightness of fantastic people making a living doing something that we all appreciate.

I'll concentrate on things a little more mainstream - maybe one day in the future for something like this...
I think that is wise at present. Please take this from an old git who has made every mistake in the book (plus one or two).

To have a succesful hand made guitar, you REALLY need to know absolute every possible variable, and what you need to make it perfect for you.

That goes further than knowing the ideal fretboard dimensions - scale, nut width, string spacing, profile radius etc., its also about your knowledge /preference of tonewoods, frets, bracing, finishing, presentation etc.

Effectively you need to know everything that a luthier needs to know.

There are also different approaches that one man luthiers use.
Some will make only certain designs, (standardised body moulds etc) which can be moderately customised, while others would design something totally based on your input.

An OM simply means the Martin style 000 14 fret guitar with an over 25" scale length, and that's fine - but a difference of opinion of fretboard width, or neck profile can turn your dream into a nightmare.

All the custom builds I've had were failures, and mostly because I didn't know exactly what I wanted.

I'm not knocking those brave, wonderful independent builders out there but they can only work on the information you give them.

If it takes, maybe 200 hours to build a custom guitar, think about the cost even at minimum wage (£11.40) that is £2300 ish plus materials, but why would a skilled luthier work for minimum wage?
Old 01-08-2024, 01:17 PM

An alternative... if you're close enough to a luthier, is to pay to build your own under their supervision - And £3k should enable you to do that with high quality materials (better than you might get with a £3k factory build) Its a fantastic experience to really get to know what what goes into a hand crafted instrument and with care attention, you should be able to build something that is to your specifications, that is a good instrument.

You will also have an instrument that is very personal to you, a real heirloom, where the value is not monetary.

All custom orders/builds come with a risk that they dont fulfil the sound in your head... BUT I would argue that that is not a bad thing - something different can challenge your preconceptions and challenge you to explore new avenues and styles of playing - a good instrument does that if we are open to it.

Just my two-penneth worth
Old 01-11-2024, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
An alternative... if you're close enough to a luthier, is to pay to build your own under their supervision - And £3k should enable you to do that with high quality materials (better than you might get with a £3k factory build) Its a fantastic experience to really get to know what what goes into a hand crafted instrument and with care attention, you should be able to build something that is to your specifications, that is a good instrument.

You will also have an instrument that is very personal to you, a real heirloom, where the value is not monetary.

All custom orders/builds come with a risk that they dont fulfil the sound in your head... BUT I would argue that that is not a bad thing - something different can challenge your preconceptions and challenge you to explore new avenues and styles of playing - a good instrument does that if we are open to it.

Just my two-penneth worth
Yes that sounds like a fantastic proposition for some people. I am one of the LEAST ‘practical’ people I know - I don’t even do DIY at home - I’m hopeless at it and always end up regretting it so gave up on that sort of thing years ago. Not for me, but I can imagine it’s a fantastic thing to do for those more competent with their own hands.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:23 PM

I recommend Nick Branwell. Builds a fantastic OM. PM me if you’re somewhere south and you want to try one of his guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop