The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-20-2023, 09:08 AM

Default Dulcimer Bracing

Do dulcimers (teardrop/hourglass) utilize a standard bracing pattern, or just at random to support soundboard and back surfaces.? Can the braces be shaped to benefit better tone as in an acoustic guitar build.? kb
Old 11-20-2023, 11:16 AM

Dulcimers don't have bracing, the head, fretboard, and string anchor are all one solid block of wood which absorbs the string tension.
Old 11-20-2023, 12:09 PM

I did add a kerfing strip to the sides, to ensure a good gluing surface for the top and back, and also a strip on the inside back seam. Just a thought before I closed in the dulcimer body. Thanks for the reply
Old 11-20-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinde2 View Post
I did add a kerfing strip to the sides, to ensure a good gluing surface for the top and back, and also a strip on the inside back seam. Just a thought before I closed in the dulcimer body. Thanks for the reply
That sounds fine. Enjoy the build!
Old 11-20-2023, 04:36 PM

Actually, some dulcimers do have bracing - my Waterman dulcimers have ladder bracing. But if the fretboard is attached to the top, it serves as a brace.

whm
Old 11-23-2023, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Some bracing of the top is sometimes required. Usually just little "ladder" type braces near the sound holes. These are to strengthen the top for handling purposes - not tonal purposes. And they are not needed if the dulcimer is a heavier build (like many old dulcimers, that relied on high string tension to get energy into the body).

The back also may need some sort of ladder bracing for handling strength (not tonal qualities).

Just make sure that any braces are well glued and have good wood to wood contact. Nothing kills a dulcimer's tone like a loose brace!!!

Traditionally, the nut and bridge went on to the end blocks. Don't be tempted to bring the bridge more inward, hoping that it will vibrate the top - it wont. You will lose bass, treble and sustain. But do make sure than every joint is tightly glued. A dulcimer works by passing its string vibrations throughout the whole instrument.

Modern builds and set-ups for modern playing styles (chord melody) tend to be quite quiet, sweet instruments. Traditional builds and set-ups for noter drone playing made loud strident instruments (often for table playing) and these could fill a dance hall.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 11-23-2023 at 05:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments