The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-09-2023, 03:34 PM

Question Percussive Fingerstyle bass mic question

I recently purchased a 6 string Warwick Alien Deluxe acoustic bass. I want to add a microphone somehow internally to get the percussive sounds associated with percussive playing, but I can find no info on the net or the ACG forum about adding a mic.

I understand there are many mic/pickup aftermarket choices, but this instrument does not have the traditional round sound hole (it is in the upper part of the upper bout).

Has anyone ever equipped an acoustic guitar with a "non standard" mic for the purpose I described above?

If so, any recommendations?
Old 02-10-2023, 08:19 AM

Most of the guitar players who use percussive techniques have a piezo element attached to the underside of the soundboard. If you use a mic to pick up tapping then you'll most likely run into feedback problems.

A soundboard transducer like the popular K&K Pure Mini will react to percussive techniques, too. The K&K Big Twin would probably be more useful for acoustic bass guitar.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:52 AM

True that Rudy4 about the feedback.
I currently have a "thump" piezo transducer mounted to the Alien soundboard about where my wrist is while holding the instrument, but it's output goes through a pedal with everything over 300hz cut off as steeply as possible.

I also own an Ibanez ACFS300CE guitar which is a purpose built fingerstyle guitar with a second transducer mounted to the neck block. It captures body taps, etc., very well, and I have tried to install a transducer in a similar manner in the Alien without much success. I suspect there is some sort of mechanical hanky panky going on within the Ibanez transducer, but am not about to take it apart to find out!

Most finderstyle guitarists (and one fingerstyle bassist, Dmitry Lisenko) will mention an internal mic when describing their instrument, but don't provide details... hmmm, trade secret perhaps?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
fingerstyle, internal, mic, microphone, percusssive