The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-16-2023, 07:53 PM

Thanks, Wade.
Old 10-16-2023, 09:26 PM

My pleasure.

whm
Old 11-01-2023, 04:45 PM

Got some more questions, if you dont mind Wade. I received this banjitar. It was advertised by the seller as a "one of a kind proto type". If that is so, I can see why the builder didnt want to make a second one. The tuning machines are the worst I've seen since 1965 when I got my first guitar, a Zimgar. I changed them out with some banjo tuners from Stewmac. The bridge has multiple slots cut for different configurations, a 5 string banjo, a six string banjo etc. As a 6 string guitar set up it is awful, every time I strum, the 6, 5 and 4 strings pop out of the bridge slots, I re-cut the slots and its better but if I hit them too hard they pop out. I think it needs a wider tail piece the one on it is only 1 inch wide and the string angle to the bridge is very sharp. I bought a Deering compensated bridge for 6 string but it is too high. Which leads me to my next question for you, if you know. I dont want to lower the bridge by cutting the base, like you would on an acoustic saddle and wonder if it is possible to adjust the neck angle to lower the action? Or do you think its advisable to just cut the base of the bridge?
Old 11-01-2023, 05:27 PM

At this point you’re probably better off taking your guitar-banjo to an experienced instrument tech. The neck angle on banjo family instruments is usually adjustable, but it may require some shimming or surgery to the base of the neck. Whatever turns out to be the problem, at this level the work is best left to a pro.

Sorry I don’t have a quicker, easier solution for you.

whm
Old 11-02-2023, 06:39 AM

That idea crossed my mind, Wade. Although I have done a lot of repair work on guitars, mostly electric, a quick search found that this one has a wooden dowel stick and isnt adjustable like a coordinator rod, and is beyond my pay grade. Also seems I may be looking for lower action than is normal for a banjo. One tutorial shows normal action should be between 1/8" and 1/4" at the highest fret, which is right where I am.

Last edited by stokes1971; 11-02-2023 at 06:46 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments