The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-14-2023, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're set on tuning in fifths and working with mandolin and guitar, you might want to consider staying with traditional CGDA tenor banjo tuning: IME Irish tuning tends to clash with the guitar's low end once you get down on the G and D strings (with not enough distinction of timbre to keep it from getting muddy), and the fact that traditional tenor tuning is a fifth below the mandolin allows for the same relationship as the violin/viola in a string quartet, as well as lending clarity if you're into harmonized double-lead lines...

There's also the alternative I suggested of drop-G tenor uke tuning, which not only provides you with a different-timbre solo instrument in approximately the same register as the mandolin but offers the convenience of virtually zero learning curve; here's an example with Chuck Romanoff of Schooner Fare (who turned me on to this tuning) on drop-G tenor banjo:

You Gotta Love Schooner Fare--Thanks, Steve!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-14-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
You gotta love Schooner Fare--Thanks, Steve!
My pleasure - FWIW I've been a fan for 40 years: found out about them by way of Pete Fornatale's "Mixed Bag" Sunday-morning acoustic-music show on WNEW-FM radio (NYC) in the early-80's, when he was playing their "Alive" album in its entirety. First song I ever heard was "Day of the Clipper" which, upon hearing Steve Romanoff's driving 12-string rhythm and the late Tom Rowe's virtuosic bass line, led me to believe that ex-Gordon Lightfoot/Jim Croce bassist John Stockfish had joined/formed a new band and gone out on the road - turns out I wasn't too far off as all three were major Lightfoot fans, and they freely admit to his influence on "Clipper" (among others); BTW another excellent example of Chuck Romanoff's deft drop-G tenor banjo work, coming through loud and clear on this live recording:

BTW another excellent example of Chuck Romanoff's deft drop-G banjo work, coming through loud and clear on this recording
Old 11-15-2023, 07:31 PM

Jim Mills was a great help to me with my Grandfather's MB-11 and he is very easy to get in touch with!!

2017 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany;
2006 Alvarez AJ60SC/12 NAT
1994 Martin D-1
1992 Guild JF-30 BL, Westerly build
Old 11-16-2023, 05:53 PM

If you want a no-damage susbtitution 5 string neck for a little bluegrass, below is a link to an option. You'll need to specify the flange cut (no-cost option) and add tuners and neck bolts and 5-string bridge that match your Gibson exactly. Those accessories are available many places. You can re-install the original neck (bolt-on) and bridge any time.

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldt...YaAg60EALw_wcB

I believe there are some blemished Gold Tone necks on eBay for even less. Look around for the right model :

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...neck+gold+tone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments