The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Accept full credit at a shop that can and has overpriced or sell elsewhere for less
Store Credit 39 82.98%
Sell Elsewhere 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Masa View Post
...unfortunately they did not accept in person returns but only online returns...
I don't understand this. Did you see any ad that said they accepted returns, and, if so, did it specify returns from online purchases only?

I would think twice about accepting store credit from a store that would not accept a return a day later. If they advertise that returns are accepted, without saying from online purchases only, I would complain.

I would not want to do business again with this store.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I don't understand this. Did you see any ad that said they accepted returns, and, if so, did it specify returns from online purchases only?

I would think twice about accepting store credit from a store that would not accept a return a day later. If they advertise that returns are accepted, without saying from online purchases only, I would complain.

I would not want to do business again with this store.
This was my response as well
Old 07-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't get it. I don't think you've said what guitar this is or what it is that you now don't like. How can anyone give you good advice without knowing the guitar or what's bothering you about it?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I don't get it. I don't think you've said what guitar this is or what it is that you now don't like. How can anyone give you good advice without knowing the guitar or what's bothering you about it?
Apparently just a straightforward case of buyer's remorse. Offering a store credit for 100% of the purchase price is entirely reasonable.

Last edited by frankmcr; 07-04-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, what is it exactly the OP purchased? Make, model, year, etc. And can the OP be more specific as to the nature of the issues that seem to only have cropped up after he brought it home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Masa View Post
In the shop I thought it played very nicely but upon getting it home the cracks began to show...

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 07-04-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:31 PM

Default A thought

OP mention saving an amount in pounds sterling. I suspect OP's in the UK, and I have no idea if customary terms of trade are like those in the U.S. And consumer protection law.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Passing the credit note on to someone else opens a huge can of worms - what happens, for instance, if they then decide to return the item? I doubt the retailer is going to be too enthusiastic about that arrangement.

No... when you're in a hole, stop digging - take the credit note and wait and see what comes up. Oh, and you're NOT an idiot... these things happen... I'm sure it'll turn out for the good.
I definitely see where this is coming from but I'd probably end up giving the store credit to a trusted friend or a series of and buying less costly guitars/pedals/etc. I would ensure that they knew that they'd have to be certain of the purchase as I wouldn't like them to repeat what I've done.

However I've taken some time to consider it and store credit is most likely the way I'm going to go with a view to using it myself and waiting to see what comes up.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
What is so wrong with this guitar? You loved it in the store. What did you not like once you got it home? Why not take it to someone who could fix the problems?

The other stores weren't low-balling you, that's the way they operate; pay low, sell high. They have to to stay in business.

If you spent just a little more on this guitar, it just might turn out to be the guitar you thought you were getting and become the guitar of your dreams.
There were a few small little things like a buzz that came from the bridge that was masked by the busy shop (its an old instrument at the end of the day though so no biggie) and I think I was just a bit more eager in the shop. I got home and it sank in that this was 2 and a half years work and I wasn't happy with it. Someone bore a hole out of it not through the end pin to install a pickup at some point, crack on the top running along the pick guard - an ugly neck repair, sound wise I felt I should have waited for a more expensive model I had tried but could not afford yet as I really liked its sound but thought the compromise was better and it being much more affordable on reverb. I should have slept on it.

Sorry my bad, I didn't think they were - more that the original shop had maybe overcharged.

Very true but I'd much rather wait for the right one to come along than to spend the remainder on fixing it up if at all possible.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
Hey Glenn, as has been suggested, I think I would take the store credit rather than loose 50% of your investment. In the interim, you can save a bit more.
I would also request that the shop owner notify you when a guitar comes in that might meet the perimeters you have in mind. Perhaps he would be willing to give you fist crack at one.
I sympathize with your situation.
Hey Bradley, Think thats the route I'm taking now - I've actually tried to get in contact about possibly finding a guitar/keeping their ear to the ground for me with regards to a couple models, still waiting to hear back but optimistic that this could work out for the best!
Old 07-05-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sound View Post
Not an idiot, a guitar loving human. I would take the store credit and then essentially move in, to watch their inventory. Sometimes things happen for a reason. They may get in a guitar that blows your mind and they give you a great deal because at that point, you are practically family. Carry on my wayward son.....
Thanks Tube, appreciate this! Sounds like a plan - also tried to get in contact with
to maybe ask if they could keep their ear to the ground for a couple models. Awaiting their reply but optimistic that as you say something will come along that is perfect! There'll be peace when 'this is' done
Old 07-05-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Maybe you could keep it around for a few days. There was something you saw in that guitar, maybe you'll realize that again? Also, keep in mind a lot of guitars don't seem right until they acclimate to a new environment.
Currently on day three and its unfortunately still not doing it for me but I've got til a week before the store credit goes so will hang on as long as I dare
Old 07-05-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Go back and get the store credit. See if they will also give you a partial credit and partial refund? You’re still tied to them for half, but they might be motivated to treat you more fairly.
Unfortunately I don't think they will out as my desperation even saw me offering them selling it back to them for less and they turned it down.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
If it's the sound that's not so great, maybe try different strings on it before you decide you don't like it. If it just doesn't feel as good, then take it straight back and get the credit and wait......
More the latter - strings are still pretty new though not what I'm used to so maybe worth a go?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Thinking further, you have nothing to lose by taking the store credit - you can still sell it to whomever you wish if an opportunity arises.

You also have some time to change your mind about it - there was something about it to attract you in the first place. Maybe it'll circle around and you will, in due time, decide you can live with or get someone to correct the defects.
From taking the store credit the guitar will be no longer in my hands to sell as they will take it back. Should make clear I come from the UK and evidently our shop policies are a little different over here unfortunately for me.

Theres every chance - still have four days so will see how it goes
Old 07-05-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I'm only guessing here but I'm thinking their rationale is that they believe if you've had a chance to see, hold and play it in their store than you know exactly what you're buying and will only give a credit on a return; but they have a more liberal return policy of cash-back for online returns because the purchaser couldn't see the instrument first hand before buying. Just a guess, I can't think of another reason for the different policies.
Correct, this is their returns policy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice. new guitar, help!, vintage acoustic