The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-14-2024, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Yes, Movingui is a beautiful African hardwood that in cases is sometimes confused with the denser, harder, stiffer, lower damping East Indian Satinwood (Ceylon Satinswood) due to its yellow color and chatoyant, mottled figure that both can present when quartersawn. It is sometimes referred to as Nigerian Satinwood. I have been offered with it as an option by luthiers before when selecting back and sides.
Interesting! I've never heard of Movingui before. It is quite beautiful. Where does it fall tonally? Closer to Maple, or to rosewoods or mahogany?
Old 01-14-2024, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I have never played a guitar made using it. Like all back and side woods, a guitar’s tone will be dominated by the builder’s design and choice of soundboard.

It has properties not a million miles from Hard Maple:

Property——————— ——Hard Maple—-—Movingui
Average Dried Weight———705 kg/m3——720 kg/m3
Janka Hardness————-——-6,450N——-—-5,680N
Elastic Modulus——————-12.62 GPa——-12.23 GPa

While a bit less dense, woods like Australian Blackwood, Oregon Myrtle or Claro Walnut which are more familiar choices may fall into similar tonal camp. It is a wood that has some tap tone, not glassy like a rosewood nor punky like some soft maples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
Interesting! I've never heard of Movingui before. It is quite beautiful. Where does it fall tonally? Closer to Maple, or to rosewoods or mahogany?
Old 01-15-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
Yeah, the look of it is absolutely striking. Plus, it’s uncommon and I’m really trying to get something that kind of stands out from my other guitars. Almost all of my other guitars are some rosewood variety. I thought this would be something different aesthetically and tonally.

This is what the builder said to me regarding movingui.

Movingui: excellent tonewood, the tonal character is similar to best African tonewoods: padouk, wenge... So approaching the rosewood territory. Have that fullness and balance but some denser rosewood can be a bit harsh, I find these African timbers are a bit softer, still having great projection and volume.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:04 AM

I'm looking at another one (or two) of these. I gave the first one to my son.

Just deciding on the wood species for back and sides and some upgrades to dress it up a bit this time.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Andrea just sent me a pic of the box being closed on my B&C bench copy of Ryan Dilt's '37 D-18. Ryan's an excellent player and the first one of the 6 "Tribute" guitars being made belongs to him, not surprisingly.
I've enclosed the video they made comparing his "Tribute" to the original '37. I'll add that it really has me looking forward to mine, hopefully by year's end. I'll be curious to hear what you all think.

https://fb.watch/rvVSgOMwLa/
Old 04-17-2024, 03:51 PM

Greenfield G3

Moon spruce soundboard
Brazilian rosewood (a particularly lovely set!)
DADGAD fan
Non-cutaway
Laskin inspired arm rest bevel

Build started recently!

Joel
Old 04-17-2024, 05:07 PM

Two Birds Budgie (parlor)
Italian Spruce / Birdseye Maple
Old 04-17-2024, 05:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Regarding Movingui, I have made a guitar from it! It is quite successful, IMO. Although the wood seemed a bit heavy, I used it for a Flamenco guitar which weighs just 2.6 pounds. HERE is a link to its page on my web site. Although the page says it was commissioned, that didn't work out as expected, and I do have it fo sale.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Kevin Ryan is building me a redwood-topped Nightingale for delivery in the fall.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop