The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2019, 04:27 PM

Default Martin OM-18 Authentic and Neck Issues

The Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933 has been out for several years now and I am wondering how the neck is holding up. This model has the non adjustable ebony truss rod and it seems to me like a neck reset could come sooner rather than later. I just purchased a new one from Guitar Center and I am still in the 45 day return window. I absolutely love love love the tone, volume, body size and neck playability. I think this guitar is a keeper for sure, but I am skeptical of the truss rod and would like some feedback regarding any neck issues before I fully commit.

If you have an OM-18A, please let me know how long you have had it and if you have experienced any neck movement/action issues. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by JMW01; 07-31-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

I never had any issues with mine other than not getting along with the neck profile. It's a great vintage voiced OM if you like the neck?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-31-2019, 05:41 PM

I presume yours has an ebony rod?

Relax. Like it’s forebear, it will need a neck reset some day. Most well-built guitars do. But it will be decades from now.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 07-31-2019, 05:44 PM

A truss rod is for giving a guitar relief. It has nothing to do with the neck angle/set.

Keep extra light or low tension strings on it if you are worried. Like the above poster said they made those martins with a T bar for years and a nearly all martins will need a reset someday.

The baseball bat neck should also help it to move very little lol

Last edited by parlorpower82; 07-31-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I never had any issues with mine other than not getting along with the neck profile. It's a great vintage voiced OM if you like the neck?
I did not expect to like the neck so much. I like how it is rounded and slowly transitions to a soft V after the 5th fret. If my old D-18GE did that I would still have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
I presume yours has an ebony rod?
Yes, it is the non adjustable ebony truss rod. No T-bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorpower82 View Post
A truss rod is for giving a guitar relief. It has nothing to do with the neck angle/set.

Keep extra light or low tension strings on it if you are worried. Like the above poster said they made those martins with a T bar for years and a nearly all martins will need a reset someday.

The baseball bat neck should also help it to move very little lol
Good point.

Thanks to all!
Old 08-01-2019, 04:35 AM

I have owned mine for five years (bought new in Sept of 2014 but has 2013 serial no.). It came with a high saddle, from the factory. i have not altered it.
I love the neck. I replaced the mediums that came on it with lights and I keep my guitars tuned 1/2 step down anyway. Due to these factors, I can live with the high saddle.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:11 AM

I bought mine new and sight unseen online when the VTS versions started and it came with a just passable low saddle. It lives in the most expensive Hiscox Artist case in history that couldn’t be bought locally and I bought online with the same delivery costs and charges of a guitar with overseas delivery, costing more than a lot of guitars. I also keep it tuned down and use a Humidipak. The neck has not moved one microdot.

Great, great guitar! Deserving that worry free expensive case.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion