The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Fishman VT Aura Enhance VIDEO

I spent a few minutes today with the new Aura VT Enhance at the Martin factory. In this clip you're witnessing my first unrehearsed discovery of this new system. It's plugged direct into a Fishman SA220, close-mic'd with a Rode NTG-2 condenser. We're hearing very little (if any) unplugged acoustic tone bleeding into the video. What are your first impressions?

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

The video won't load, for some reason... works fine with other videos on this computer, though...

Actually it's "trying to load" but then won't play from the beginning...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-21-2016, 11:26 PM

The tone is very nice. The Enhance body sensor actually sounds more natural than the aura imaging and it brings in a warmth to the tone that's missing. I find it also makes the guitar sound huge. Hopefully Fishman finds a way to make these into an aftermarket pickup as well.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
The video won't load, for some reason... works fine with other videos on this computer, though...

Actually it's "trying to load" but then won't play from the beginning...
Please refresh and try again - I embedded it just as it was processing. Thx
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-21-2016, 11:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am surprised that you were able to get a 100% aura blend without any issues. IME, blending in more than 50-60% aura imaging tends to create a rather hollow tone. It must be different with the onboard aura.

As for the tone, it's very nice. The Enhance body sensor actually sounds more natural than the aura imaging and it brings in a warmth to the tone that's missing. I find it also makes the guitar sound larger than life. Hopefully Fishman finds a way to make these into an aftermarket pickup as well.

Edit: My bad, I missed where you said the image is pre-blended.
Right. The ust and aura mix is pre-blended and IIRC, its approximately 70% UST / 30% Aura. I agree that blending in some warm bridge plate tone is very attractive. I look forward to spending more time with this.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-22-2016, 10:28 AM

I see that there's a Matrix VT Enhance also. I presume that blends the straight UST sound with the SBT.

Interesting stuff. Kudos to Martin and Fishman for stepping up their amplification game.

I wonder if we'll ever see the Matrix VT Enhance, or even the Aura VT Enhance, available as an aftermarket system. I'm thinking that Martin's involvement in the development might put a damper on that possibility.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I see that there's a Matrix VT Enhance also. I presume that blends the straight UST sound with the SBT.

Interesting stuff. Kudos to Martin and Fishman for stepping up their amplification game.

I wonder if we'll ever see the Matrix VT Enhance, or even the Aura VT Enhance, available as an aftermarket system. I'm thinking that Martin's involvement in the development might put a damper on that possibility.
That and the fact that they would need to figure out a way to upload different aura images to the aftermarket system. Martin can easily control that as they simply upload the specific image into the system for the model that it will be installed in. A neat way would be to plug a mini cable into where the controls are and then have the other end go into the usb on a computer.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Right. The ust and aura mix is pre-blended and IIRC, its approximately 70% UST / 30% Aura. I agree that blending in some warm bridge plate tone is very attractive. I look forward to spending more time with this.
Out of curiosity, how did you like the system? I know you are an Amulet M user so it would be neat to hear your thoughts.

Two things I don't like about the system.. one, I love how they got rid of unnecessary holes on the body of the guitar but it's too bad they went with an oversized output jack. I understand why but still. Second, this doesn't really bug me but I am curious as to why they did not just add a third blend knob on the top control panel for the enhance pickup? It kind of seems like unnecessary controls in the sound hole.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:03 AM

This further reinforces my preference for transducers other than USTs. The UST with the image sounds good. But, "enhancement" is the correct word for the body sensor. I wish fishman would develop a new preamp technology for a K&K style transducer system.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

As first impressions go, I was very happy with the sound when I had an equal 50/50 split of all UST/Aura and all Enhance. With Enhance all the way OFF I was a bit underwhelmed at the tone, and I selfishly expected to really like the UST Aura blend more. But yes, thumbs up so far - in an unfamiliar setting with someone else's Pa system set flat.

I'm overly confident that through my Bose L1 with 2 subs and 20 minutes of fiddling, that I could dial in something REALLY nice.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-22-2016, 04:16 PM

More curious about what looks like a 00-17S on the wall!

Last edited by sbpark; 01-22-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM

I too have been less than impressed with aura imaging. I find it often sounds good out front but through the monitors it just sounds a bit thin/bright and there seems to be a slight latency issue. It's hard to explain but the imaging just makes the pickup feel odd to me.

The enhance pickup really added a very nice warmth and fullness to the tone. It also seemed to be very easy to dial in a pleasing tone. I don't think I would go out of my way to install this system or get a Martin with it but Fishman definitely have upped their game.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:57 PM

I just ditched my UST and Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and went with an LR Baggs Lyric and Venue DI. I just felt like the UST was inferior, and everything in the signal chain after that was just a "bandaid on a bullet wound" and never sounded to my liking. Now that I'm starting with a much better pickup (er, mic?) it just makes it that much easier to sound wonderful.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Sounded very good to me with both up full... I'm not a "hater" of UST like some; I still remember when the UST was the "new great thing", back in the 80's, and I feel it has it's place in acoustic guitar reproduction...

The difference in tone was remarkable when the "Enhance" portion was kicked in... it seemed to me that the UST/Aura was providing more of the effect of "string noise" and breath, while the SBT/Enhance portion gave a more direct, pleasing sound to the mix.

Overall? I liked it a lot... and like you, Maury, I'm certain I could "dial in" a really sweet tone with my Bose T1 and L1 system...

Hopefully, there will be after-market availability of this system... it wwouldn't be THAT hard to have an Aura image already loaded; one for a dreadnought, one for a OOO, one for a Jumbo or J (if they want to stay with Martin nomenclature... I mean, it's not like they developed an Aura image for EACH guitar, prior to installing it in the one we heard in the video clip; I'm sure they just did one image and used that for every guitar...

Perhaps there will be some zippy new stuff out of the NAMM show?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-22-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Sounded very good to me with both up full... I'm not a "hater" of UST like some; I still remember when the UST was the "new great thing", back in the 80's, and I feel it has it's place in acoustic guitar reproduction...

The difference in tone was remarkable when the "Enhance" portion was kicked in... it seemed to me that the UST/Aura was providing more of the effect of "string noise" and breath, while the SBT/Enhance portion gave a more direct, pleasing sound to the mix.

Overall? I liked it a lot... and like you, Maury, I'm certain I could "dial in" a really sweet tone with my Bose T1 and L1 system...

Hopefully, there will be after-market availability of this system... it wwouldn't be THAT hard to have an Aura image already loaded; one for a dreadnought, one for a OOO, one for a Jumbo or J (if they want to stay with Martin nomenclature... I mean, it's not like they developed an Aura image for EACH guitar, prior to installing it in the one we heard in the video clip; I'm sure they just did one image and used that for every guitar...

Perhaps there will be some zippy new stuff out of the NAMM show?
Actually Martin did create specific aura images for each new/old model. I read that they took the best OM-28 for example, recorded it, made an image and that's the one that comes on the OM-28 now. I am just using the OM-28 as an example, I have no idea if it will have this system.

With that said, they could take more of a Dtar Mama bear approach for an after market system and as you said, just create OM, dread etc. images that work with a variety of guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification